Scammer Actually Arrested?!

skimilk

Oct 2, 2010
I've followed quite a few threads that involved horrible scammers here in this forum, and one thing that I found frustrating is they never seem to be punished by law enforcements even though they are committing serious crime, oftentimes with multiple victims...

Well, I read this on eBay subreddit on Reddit today!

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ebay/comments/4i2yv8/my_ebay_scammer_was_arrested/

Title is "My eBay Scammer was Arrested..."

I thought it might be of interest to this forum. Perhaps more police depts will take this route from now on, considering how many criminals are resorting to internet for their "livelihood"?

There is a poster who doubts it's real, I certainly hope it is...

I will copy & paste the text in the next post.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ebay/comments/4i2yv8/my_ebay_scammer_was_arrested/

Hello everyone. I've been reading this sub since February, I came across it after I was scammed for a ~$xxx item..

I won't give too much detail since the case is still open, but I'll say it was an electronic item, and the buyer wanted to return it because he claimed he "ordered the wrong item". Without hesitation I approved the return. But after doing so, I started looking at his feedback and noticed he'd had many 'problems' with transactions in the 1.5 years he's been on eBay.

So, as expected, he returned an identical but non functional item which had a different serial number. I posted photos to the 'return item' eBay conversation and kindly asked (without making accusations) to send the correct unit back for a refund. Not much longer after that, eBay processed his full refund and closed the case. Also as expected, I didn't get anywhere with customer service over the phone. They processed the refund because the USPS tracking showed the box was delivered.

So, I filed a report with USPS Mail Fraud, and also the IC3 site. After that, I called my local (small town) police department and they took a report. I provided detailed photos showing the difference between the items.
I provided the USPS, IC3, and police report #'s to eBay hoping they would look in to the case again, they simply said 'keep calling the buyer and see what you can work out'. Ugh.

A couple weeks later, my local PD followed up to see if I got anywhere with eBay. (No where) At that point he considered this a loss (theft), so he forwarded the case information to the local (small town) PD where the buyer lives.

A couple days later, a detective called me to say he had received the case, and we talked on the phone a bit to verify some details. I also provided link to high resolution photos of the items, and a video of me unboxing the return item. He said he'd look into it.
Two days later, he emailed me to say that he executed a search warrant at the scammers home, located my item, and that he will be charging the person with theft. I can get my item back after the case is closed. OMG!
So, just thought I would post my story in case there are others out there wondering what to do. If the buyer were in a big city, I doubt the police would have taken it that far. I was actually quite surprised. To be a fly on the wall in his house when that all went down......

I've been a seller since 1998, but not as a store just personal items. I still sell items, but now I attach tamper proof labels that are numbered. They are clearly shown in the listing and I have specific instructions on returns. (Not that it matters to the big time scammers, but maybe it's at least somewhat of a deterrent)

UPDATE 5/8/16: Thanks for the feedback so far. I promise to give an update after the case is concluded. There is a pre-trial conference about 2 weeks out. According to the online docket for the case, he's not represented by an attorney, at least not yet. This will likely end up resulting in a pre-trial deferment, based on how other similar theft cases concluded in his county. Once things are wrapped up I'll request copies of the probable cause affidavit, return on search warrant, etc, and post them here. (With identifying information redacted to comply with the doxxing / no personal information rule.)

That's a wonderful story! Congratulations and good for you for not just lying down and accepting ebay's (non)resolution.

You should request that the police department forward the details of the case to ebay so they can "fix" the ding on your account and NARU the crook!

I'm looking forward to your followup!

I've followed quite a few threads that involved horrible scammers here in this forum, and one thing that I found frustrating is they never seem to be punished by law enforcements even though they are committing serious crime, oftentimes with multiple victims...

Well, I read this on eBay subreddit on Reddit today!

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ebay/comments/4i2yv8/my_ebay_scammer_was_arrested/

Title is "My eBay Scammer was Arrested..."

I thought it might be of interest to this forum. Perhaps more police depts will take this route from now on, considering how many criminals are resorting to internet for their "livelihood"?

There is a poster who doubts it's real, I certainly hope it is...

I will copy & paste the text in the next post.
I understand the skepticism (especially having dealt with the indifference of police officers in these matters) but there's no reason someone like this *can't* be prosecuted if you have a willing partner in the local PD. Glad to hear of cases like these.

That's a wonderful story! Congratulations and good for you for not just lying down and accepting ebay's (non)resolution.

You should request that the police department forward the details of the case to ebay so they can "fix" the ding on your account and NARU the crook!

I'm looking forward to your followup!

Fortunately it's not my story :smile:
I copied and pasted it from a Reddit post (link and credit given.) I just thought it would be good to share here, especially since the poster explained the process. Obviously he/she was lucky to have a cooperative detective, but at least it shows there's hope and scammers do get punished by law sometimes!

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately it seems like the only reason the scammer was tracked down was because both people involved lived in small towns with police departments that had time or the inclination to follow up. It is sad that ebay ignored the situation and allowed a buyer with numerous complaints to continue committing fraud. I know I would be out of luck in my town, even though it is a small town. When my husband's fishing equipment was stolen out of his car, the PD didn't do a thing. They didn't even bother taking fingerprints. When my daughter's car was stolen, they impounded the car but let the thief, who had no ID, walk.

That's really good.

Assuming the story is true(!), for once we have definite confirmation that the seller is in the right; as the stolen goods were actually found in the buyer's house.

Otherwise, you obviously often tend to be left with some doubt as to who is actually scamming who. :/

I know police have far bigger fish to fry, fraud-wise, like scams in big business and banking etc. (which one would really hope they are dealing with, as a priority...).

But, it's good if people on places like eBay don't think they will, automatically, get away with it, as it's just regarded as "petty" crime and never followed up.

They should, at least, have that doubt.

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately it seems like the only reason the scammer was tracked down was because both people involved lived in small towns with police departments that had time or the inclination to follow up. It is sad that ebay ignored the situation and allowed a buyer with numerous complaints to continue committing fraud. I know I would be out of luck in my town, even though it is a small town. When my husband's fishing equipment was stolen out of his car, the PD didn't do a thing. They didn't even bother taking fingerprints. When my daughter's car was stolen, they impounded the car but let the thief, who had no ID, walk.

Same. We currently have 2 recent, hate-crimesque stabbings with no leads. Just a lovely PD here.