Say a Good thought for my Puppy Monster...

mdlcal28

O.G.
Feb 1, 2008
1,488
4
Our 3 year old blue heeler was bitten by a baby Cottonmouth this evening. She had to stay overnight at the ER Clinic...........
I am just sick, sick, sick!

These are the times I HATE THE SOUTH!
 

smallfry

My Sweet Angel
O.G.
Dec 18, 2005
7,945
4,044
I had to look up what a cottonmouth was, being that I'm from the Northeast. A snake, yikes!

I'm glad you were able to get her to the ER so fast - sounds like she'll be fine, but sending lots of positive, healing thoughts your way :hugs:
 

buzzytoes

Dog Chauffeur
O.G.
Jun 7, 2008
15,867
1,005
Hope your baby is doing ok. :hugs: If she made it through the night she is probably out of the danger zone. Probably a good thing that it was a baby that bit her! The closer to the head they are bitten, the worse of a prognosis they have.

We had a lab that was bitten by a rattlesnake when I was a kid and the vet said the only reason she made it was because the snake had probably just eaten and didn't have as much venom to inject. She was bitten on the inside of the lip and her neck swelled up so bad it looked like she had a tire under the skin. It was the only time in her life that I can remember that she growled at me so I can only imagine how horrible she was feeling.
 

mdlcal28

O.G.
Feb 1, 2008
1,488
4
Thanks ladies! She is home. I misunderstood the girl at the clinic last night (not our normal vet). She meant come get her at 8 this MORNING. She called and caught me heading out the door to work, so needless to say I was late....AND left early to come home!
Her muzzle is real swollen, but I got a kiss a little while ago, so that tells me her mouth isnt real bad or her tongue. She is still pretty sedated and blah. We were using a syringe to get water in her, but she is now drinking out of her bowl. She still isnt interested in eating.....
I took the snake to work and one of our environmental guys said it was a copperhead instead of a cottonmouth - venom is less dangerous, but when you get bit by a baby snake, its 3x as potent than an adult, because they dont know when to stop biting.
This poor baby has been through the ringer! My son picked her out of the litter, so she is real special. She was 3 in February and she has had to make emergency trips to the vet once every year! She ate tons and tons of acorns and got tannin poisoning; she found the LONE fish hook on DH's boat and ran it through her mouth and lip; and now a snake bite!
They are such smart and ENQUISITIVE dogs, obviously! I just need her to CHILL for a little while!

And she can finally jump on the bed, which is where she is chilling!
 
Top