Saw a fakey and nearly tossed my cookies

i do not like fake bags , i only carry the real deal. but for a long time , esp when i was in my teens, i did not understand what goes behind a fake. many times we went to canal st and bought fake ones just b/c we really liked a certain style. now that i can afford to buy a $2K bag , I understand that it is wrong to carry a fake. I think most ppl buy the bag b/c they can not afford the real one , but truly do not understnd the entire sweat shop thing. i no longer shop canal street. i once heard a horrible story about a hermes sweat shop where they had 7 yrs working there. i refuse to enable that industry. however there are others out there that just see it as a bag. my SIL carries fakes and i tell her all the time, stop wasting hundreds on 2-3 fake bags and poll that $ together and get yourself on really nice bag. she finally bought herself the mono speedy 30.. hallelujah!! i agree that we should not make rude remakers to those carrying the fakes , we do not know there situation. would you call someone out b/c they had on a fake diamond ? no right , then why do it with a bag. It's not nice , plus it makes us look like snots . i'm sure ppl already think that about us b/c we carry expensive things.

Well said. :yes:

All I can imagine is you throwing a package of Chips Ahoy Cookies at this womans head and her going down like a ton of bricks. A little violent, I know...but it's all I saw in my mind and I cant stop laughing now, LOL.

I am sure most people that carry fakes do not know that it is illegal and about the sweat-shops and everything that goes along with carrying a fake bag. I hate to admit this but when I was younger (many years ago) before I could afford the real thing I bought a few fake bags. I thought no one could tell and it was the same. Boy I was naive. I always knew fakes were crap quality. Not until I joined TPF did I really learn about how bad fakes are and what is behind them.

i really only have a problem with the people who really support the counterfeit industry because "they want to be in style but can't afford the real thing" so that is their justification for buying them. the ones that KNOW their bag is fake and still carry it, and act like it's real. i DESPISE that. but if the person received it as a gift and really had no idea, i would feel sympathy, like alpine1972 said.

I am sure most people that carry fakes do not know that it is illegal and about the sweat-shops and everything that goes along with carrying a fake bag. I hate to admit this but when I was younger (many years ago) before I could afford the real thing I bought a few fake bags. I thought no one could tell and it was the same. Boy I was naive. I always knew fakes were crap quality. Not until I joined TPF did I really learn about how bad fakes are and what is behind them.

Me too. When I first graduated from college, I thought that the good fakes would basically be the same as the real deal and why pay so much for it if no one can tell. I got a fake looping bag (?), and got compliments on it left and right. Then one day at work , this girl who loves LV, said "its hard to find a good fake" in front of everyone and I was so mortified and refused to carry it anymore! Then I bought a real LV and truly fell in love with it, not just because it is the LV status, and will never be caught dead with a fake!

I don't see them very often, but when DH and I do, he makes the comments for me.

His justification isn't like mine (illegal, sweat shops, trademark infringement, etc.), he says that "If I drop a grand or two on my wife to have a bag, then someone should not be able to carry around a $40 fake and feel good about it."

So your husband believes that only women whose husbands can afford to spend one or two thousand dollars on a handbag are "allowed" to feel good about themselves? That's really sad.

So your husband believes that only women whose husbands can afford to spend one or two thousand dollars on a handbag are "allowed" to feel good about themselves? That's really sad.

I don't see her hubby saying that at all.

Why would someone that buys a fake feel good about it? If you can't afford the real deal, you should get something else. Fakes are just bad.

I'd rather carry a "department store bag" (Stone Mountain or Tango or Sak or Vera Bradley) than carry a fake anything. There are plenty of nice bags out there in all price ranges.

The snobbiness of some of the posts to this thread just astounds me! Should nobody be allowed to enjoy the things they can afford because what they buy is a knock-off of some higher-priced merchandise? If that were the case, none of us would own any shoes or clothes, or have furnishings in our homes, or cars or jewelry or anything!

I HATE fakes, but not because they're (usually) ugly. I hate them because of their links to child labor, drug trafficking, organized crime, and even terrorism. I wish there was better policing of U.S. ports so that they could be found and destroyed before they got into the country, and I wish that the places where they are sold (kiosks, carts, and even stores at some reputable malls) would be shut down.

I CHOOSE not to carry fakes and I thank my lucky stars that I am in a financial situation that allows me to purchase authentic Vuittons from Vuitton stores and/or eluxury. But I appreciate deeply that fact that I can! Why does there need to be such animosity towards people who can't afford to purchase luxury goods? There but for the grace of God go I...