Saving for your first Hermes Kelly/Birkin/bag

Perfect reply! Nothing further need be added to it[emoji4]

Thank you! I really do love reading these forums and looking at everyone's beautiful collections and purchases.

Somewhere in my closet is an LV Noe I bought in 1984 at the Champs Elysees store for the equivalent of $140 USD. I need to get the leather reconditioned but I have never been able to part with it. I'm completely thrilled to find an entire website of people who adore their bags as I do!

Happy new year, everyone!

Reactions: peggioka
I'm starting to unload bags I haven't touched in over a year starting with my Bal. I'm thinking of moving onto my Jumbo soon but my heart hurts and I worry that I'm going to regret it! My thought is, if I don't use my Chanel Jumbo in almost 1 year, am I going to use a Kelly 28 when I get her???? But the Kelly is soooo purrrrdy and the shoulder strap is so useful! UGH!

But savings-wise, every time I get something new that's expensive, I sell something. It doesn't have to be of the same value (but close) and it makes me feel better. Plus, I clothes shop at Marshalls and TJ Maxx! I hardly ever buy clothes at full retail price! Ever!

I'm starting to unload bags I haven't touched in over a year starting with my Bal. I'm thinking of moving onto my Jumbo soon but my heart hurts and I worry that I'm going to regret it! My thought is, if I don't use my Chanel Jumbo in almost 1 year, am I going to use a Kelly 28 when I get her???? But the Kelly is soooo purrrrdy and the shoulder strap is so useful! UGH!

But savings-wise, every time I get something new that's expensive, I sell something. It doesn't have to be of the same value (but close) and it makes me feel better. Plus, I clothes shop at Marshalls and TJ Maxx! I hardly ever buy clothes at full retail price! Ever!

Hi missD, the only bag that I regretted buying is my Chanel Jumbo because it's sooo heavy and the chain is hurting my shoulder when I wear it. The Kelly 28 on the other hand , is really easy to carry and you can carry more with the Kelly 28 compared to the Jumbo. Please, please try both bags before purchase. If you have friends who have those bags, may be you could ask them if you could try the bags. They are too expensive to regret. Goodluck with your saving.

Thank you! I really do love reading these forums and looking at everyone's beautiful collections and purchases.

Somewhere in my closet is an LV Noe I bought in 1984 at the Champs Elysees store for the equivalent of $140 USD. I need to get the leather reconditioned but I have never been able to part with it. I'm completely thrilled to find an entire website of people who adore their bags as I do!

Happy new year, everyone!

Get it out of your closet! I did the same with a 1986 Noe that I severely neglected after moving on to another designer. Now I'm on to Hermes & I appreciate the loyalty my LV showed to me. You may even be able to recondition it yourself.[emoji4]

I've unloaded my trendier Chanel's. Still can't part with my classics. I too think I might regret it. I don't know why ... I much prefer Hermes these days even though Chanel is such a classic.
I am like you with the savings aspect. I admire the discipline others on this thread have. Every time I say to myself "that's it! Wait!" I find another Hermes I want[emoji16]

I've unloaded my trendier Chanel's. Still can't part with my classics. I too think I might regret it. I don't know why ... I much prefer Hermes these days even though Chanel is such a classic.
I am like you with the savings aspect. I admire the discipline others on this thread have. Every time I say to myself "that's it! Wait!" I find another Hermes I want[emoji16]

I'm in the same boat! Trying to unload a couple of my YSL, Celine, and trendy Chanel items.

I'm on the "husband pays" plan. I charge my purchases to one of his cards. Invariably when the bill arrives, he's mad for a few days... But he typically gets over it in a week or two.

Other than that - I hate change so put all my change in a box next to my bags everyday. I'm in Canada so the $1 and $2 coins add up fast.

I wish I was better at saving.

I'm in the "husband pays plan" aswell. I get monthly 500€ (bills, our daughters education and savings come first!!) into my Bank account and I can spend it in whatever I want or save it up and I don't have to explain anything.
I am now saving for my first Birkin with GHW. Here in Europe you can get a B30 with Togo leather in the boutique for 8500€. But first I want to get an Evelyne III pm.

So back to topic. I want a new or recent K. Then I saw a B. Now I can't decide. I'm afraid to tell the SA I buy from at the Hermes boutique near me. I'm thinking it might take a while for my choice to come to the store. My luck it will happen the next day!
I believe if I see "it", I'll know.
This thread is an inspiration to have discipline & it will happen & we will be happy.
Good luck to all of us!

I'm probably not helping but don't sell your bags!!! I nearly always regret letting go my bags (gifting to mum mostly) as there will be a time with that particular outfit, you'd wish you have that bag to go with. I wanted to give my BJ birkin 35 to mum as she's taller than me and I felt b30 better suit my lifestyle (office 9-7 at least! ...five days a week) without being too heavy. Luckily I kept it as I recently started using it again and love love love it!! I even contemplated getting another b35 for my next. So never say never, and try to keep all of them if you could afford to ;)
Good luck!

I'm probably not helping but don't sell your bags!!! I nearly always regret letting go my bags (gifting to mum mostly) as there will be a time with that particular outfit, you'd wish you have that bag to go with. I wanted to give my BJ birkin 35 to mum as she's taller than me and I felt b30 better suit my lifestyle (office 9-7 at least! ...five days a week) without being too heavy. Luckily I kept it as I recently started using it again and love love love it!! I even contemplated getting another b35 for my next. So never say never, and try to keep all of them if you could afford to ;)
Good luck!

That is why I am reluctant to sell
I purchased my bags for a reason ... Because they appealed to me
So even if it is sentimental, I'll keep them
And might use again sometime
You helped for justification why I bought[emoji4]

+1! I feel the exact same way too. Every bag I purchased appealed to me at some point in my life/milestone. Hence, I have never sold any away. I just put them away for the time being.

+1! I feel the exact same way too. Every bag I purchased appealed to me at some point in my life/milestone. Hence, I have never sold any away. I just put them away for the time being.

Totally agree with you both! I'm too scared to sell any of my H goodies anymore. I once sold a scarf because I didn't think I was wearing it enough and totally regretted it a year later. I had to hunt around for it and then pay more to get it back :pout: I still kick myself, but it was a good lesson learnt.

Selling bags would be even worse - it would be near impossible to get the same colour combo back without paying a huge premium (even then you still may not be able to find it!)

Interesting topic ! Saving for a hermes bag is tough.. especially with all other temptations flying around in instagram nowadays :smile:

Anyway I have different approach for buying an expensive bag. I don't save up for it. I will just save for saving. A budget to buy a bag is then determined by percentage of your saving. For example if I have 10K saving and if my bag budget is 10% of saving, means at that moment my bag budget is only 1K. As my savings increase, so does my budget :smile: my reason for this approach : Hermes is a luxury item, I should only buy if it's within my reach instead of trying hard to reach it and harm my other priorities like house, car , etc. But well that's just me :smile: I just want to enjoy the bag purchase without giving me a financial burden. Even if it means I need to delay my H purchase for many many years :sad: I'm still far far away from my B/K dream :sad:

I know some my friends are paying in instalment to buy a hermes bag. It is another option,it's like using 'future money/saving' to buy and enjoy the bag now. What's your opinion on this ?

You have an excellent approach [emoji108]🏻 I have two separate savings accounts- one for things like emergencies, boring appliance replacements, "rainy day" type stuff, and my other one is purely for guilt-free shopping.
My husband and I don't have a joint account or mortgage yet so he's mostly happy with my method.

This thread is a HUGE inspiration to me. I just started saving for the next Hermes bag I want which is the Garden Party. After I get that I will save for my Birkin. I eat out WAAAYYYY too much, I go to Starbucks too often and my biggest down fall is I am a huge book worm so I constantly buy books and gossip rags. The way I spend, there is NO way I could afford a Birkin so reading this thread for tips is helpful. I just need discipline now.
If you're in the US, the OverDrive app lets you borrow eBooks and audiobooks from your library with the ease of online shopping. :smile: I just started using it, and it's definitely saving me some money. Hope this helps you have your cake and eat it too.