Saving for a big 2013!

Aug 29, 2011
Hi everyone! 2012 has been a huge year for me in terms of my fashion collection growing...I feel so fortunate to have been gifted a LV wallet as a Christmas present from the mother I babysit for her daughter. I got my first 2 Hermes pieces; an Hermes twilly and blue electrique clic h! On top of all that I got my first car for my sweet 16/ christmas present! A new 2013 hyundai elantra limited! I feel so thankful for everything this year and have worked very hard to be able to earn all these items by myself as well as saving up for a year's worth of gas for my car. I was planning on finally purchasing my dream VCA sweet alhambra necklace this christmas but got the car I wasn't expecting until March on Christmas! So a change of plans and budgeting was immediately in place! :biggrin: Anyways, this year I am planning my next purchase to save for. I lucked out this year with the clic h and then receiving the wallet as a present.(..See my lv thread for that though). I thought I had it all figured out with the pendant until I've become so much more interested in the CDC bracelets! They are so unique and add so much to an outfit that I can't get them out of my mind! The color options are endless and I'm prepared for the hunt. :P

So here is my question:

-Save for a CDC bracelet with gold hardware :girlsigh:
pros: fun, edgy, unique, will last forever, goes with anything
-cons: price for leather and not real gold?, do I really love it or is it a fad... can be difficult to put on, have a lot of bracelets,(ie. clic h, tiffany charm bracelet, charity bracelet from mother)

OR

-VCA sweet alhambra necklace:flowers:
pros: classic, dainty, real gold and mother of pearl, wanted for over 2 years, great layering piece
cons: too small?, more expensive than some diamond pendants, I have a tiffany key diamond pendant

I know I'm quite young at 16 but like I've said before, I work extremely hard for my money. I work hard in school, and don't rely on my parents at all for buying these nice pieces. I really like to budget myself accordingly to afford these pieces so I'm starting at $0 now and will work to save for this piece separate from my gas/food money. Thank you ladies for all your opinions!

Good on you for saving and planning. Most teens could take a lesson from you!

I think I would go for the CDC because it would be something fun that would jazz up your outfits!

The pendant would be pretty and dainty, but not as much a fashion statement.

Either would be great! Good luck on your decision and make sure you reveal when you get it!

Hi! I think it depends upon your taste and priorities.

I think ultimately you will get more wear out of the Sweet Alhambra than the CDC, as it goes anywhere and with anything and, of course, being on your neck, it will be less subject to wear and tear than the CDC. Also realize that the Sweet Alhambra, as fine jewelry, has more "intrinsic value" than the CDC (without getting into any debate over the design merits or popularity of the two designs). But you should know that I have had three CDCs over the years and have gotten rid of them; they're quite a statement piece - perhaps too much of a statement for me - and I've realized that I have to go with what is really "me", which is generally more classic and "pretty".

I had my CDC (black ghw) when I was 15 and I never took it off for years but I have always been a fan of real jewellery too. I was lucky enough to have my CDC bought for me but I think it's great you are saving up and buying it for yourself. I don't have a single piece of VCA but have always been a big fan of their Cadena watch (designed 1937)

The CDC was designed in 1947 and is typical of the statement costume jewellery around at the time, after 60 years I think it is safe to say it's a classic. I know it's a costume piece but sometimes one bold statement is all that is needed to spice-up a very ordinary outfit and you woudn't have to worry too much about it, mine still looks great after all it has had to put up with LOL.

I wouldn't think of one or the other since they are both nice pieces that can dress-up an outfit instantly and each in a different way. Just think about which one you want first ;) Plenty of time for both. If I were you I would start with the VCA because it's something so precious and then go for a CDC when you've saved up again and your really sure that the CDC is not just a passing fad for you

Chanelgirl, first of all congrats on your Damier Azur wallet...that perfectly matches your speedy (which you saved for by yourself!!! Wow! I wish I had your type of discipline when I was in high school :smile:). You obviously work very hard in school, your job, and saving. Perhaps you should think about pursuing a career in financial advice/management :biggrin:. You'd be very good at it!

Both the CDC and VCA are great pieces, but very different styles. The VCA seems to match your current, more "girlie" style now (I could totally see you rocking the necklace with your LV bag), while the CDC is a little more modern, and non-dainty. However, a white CDC with ghw would look fabulous with your speedy, and give it a little edge. Both are timeless and will never go out of style! Personally, I like things to "match, but not too much."

My suggestion is to actually try both pieces on and then make a decision. Sometimes I've had my heart totally set on something I've only seen online, and then, once I see it IRL, it just doesn't sing to me. If you love both, then I say save for both, and purchase in the order that you actually find them (since both are a little hard to find at times). I think that with your discipline, you'll be able to save for both this year in 2013!

Best of luck, and happy new year!

I had my CDC (black ghw) when I was 15 and I never took it off for years but I have always been a fan of real jewellery too. I was lucky enough to have my CDC bought for me but I think it's great you are saving up and buying it for yourself. I don't have a single piece of VCA but have always been a big fan of their Cadena watch (designed 1937)

The CDC was designed in 1947 and is typical of the statement costume jewellery around at the time, after 60 years I think it is safe to say it's a classic. I know it's a costume piece but sometimes one bold statement is all that is needed to spice-up a very ordinary outfit and you woudn't have to worry too much about it, mine still looks great after all it has had to put up with LOL.

I wouldn't think of one or the other since they are both nice pieces that can dress-up an outfit instantly and each in a different way. Just think about which one you want first ;) Plenty of time for both. If I were you I would start with the VCA because it's something so precious and then go for a CDC when you've saved up again and your really sure that the CDC is not just a passing fad for you

WOW! great gift for 15! thanks for your input! both will for sure eventually happen but I still have college soon! Junior in high school meaning only a year until I really have to save money even more serious.:weird:

Good on you for saving and planning. Most teens could take a lesson from you!

I think I would go for the CDC because it would be something fun that would jazz up your outfits!

The pendant would be pretty and dainty, but not as much a fashion statement.

Either would be great! Good luck on your decision and make sure you reveal when you get it!

thank you for your opinion!:biggrin:

Chanelgirl, first of all congrats on your Damier Azur wallet...that perfectly matches your speedy (which you saved for by yourself!!! Wow! I wish I had your type of discipline when I was in high school :smile:). You obviously work very hard in school, your job, and saving. Perhaps you should think about pursuing a career in financial advice/management :biggrin:. You'd be very good at it!

Both the CDC and VCA are great pieces, but very different styles. The VCA seems to match your current, more "girlie" style now (I could totally see you rocking the necklace with your LV bag), while the CDC is a little more modern, and non-dainty. However, a white CDC with ghw would look fabulous with your speedy, and give it a little edge. Both are timeless and will never go out of style! Personally, I like things to "match, but not too much."

My suggestion is to actually try both pieces on and then make a decision. Sometimes I've had my heart totally set on something I've only seen online, and then, once I see it IRL, it just doesn't sing to me. If you love both, then I say save for both, and purchase in the order that you actually find them (since both are a little hard to find at times). I think that with your discipline, you'll be able to save for both this year in 2013!

Best of luck, and happy new year!

thank your rosebud I appreciate your suggestions! I have never tried on a CDC in person:smile:

Hi sweety...... Congrats on your first Clic Clac I have 2 & adore them personally for me I'd buy the VCA but I'm much older than you but I think the CDC would be perfect for you it would go great with your Clic Clac & look more fun..... You can always buy the VCA in 2014 ;)

While both gorgeous and true classics obviously in a very different way, I'm going to have to say a CDC. But I also collect them. That being said, I love fine jewelry as well so I tend to stack my fine pieces with my CDC's. You cannot go wrong building the collection that you are looking to build so whatever you decide is the right decision.

I've seen some of your posts and I think you are such a little fashionista! It's so great that you appreciate beauty and fine craftsmanship at this stage in your life. Congrats on all of your beautiful pieces, especially the H ones--we are twins on the blue clic-H. Happy New Year sweetie!

I admire your financial maturity. I know a girl needs to have some play money for bling, but try to put more money into your studies, living expenses, and savings.

Having said that, I understand the importance of rewarding yourself once in a while and the comforting presence of luxury goods.

Personally, I never understood the CDC craze, and I've been buying Hermes for nearly 6 years. I've bought quite a bit of H over the years, and yet I never got into buying CDCs. I think it's overrated. It is a fashion item, not fine jewelry.

The Sweet VCA is classic and fine jewelry is far more intimate and rewarding. A lovely necklace close to your skin to accompany you for the no-doubt hectic years to come.