Satchel with or without long strap?

MROD

Sep 26, 2010
I have seen some celebrities with the long strap hanging down from the satchel and others without it. Which way do you guys like it????(Not sure where the proper thread to put this question)

Depends on where you are going and in what occasion
If it's a casual day out shopping with girlfriend, using the long strap could be nice and handy
If it's a dinner or lunch birthday maybe, when wearing a nicer outfit, don't use the long strap

I only carry shoulder bags. I can't stand having to hold something in my hand or hanging off my arm. If a satchel doesn't have a strap I won't even consider it.........no matter who makes it

Thanks for all your replies. What I really should have asked, is even if you are not actually using the long strap, do you leave it on or take it off, whick looks better, or which is more in style. Does it matter what you are wearing or where you are going that makes a difference? I like to hold it in my hands not on long starp but can't decide whether it looks better hanging down or without it. This is my first satchel that has this option, got it yesterday, and can't decide. Have seen it both ways on celebrity street style and still can't make up my mind!

MROD, try not to worry about LOOKS and go with what feels good to you. You are all the matters, and frankly, I have never thought, when I looked at somebody with a handbag, that it would look better carried one way or the other. And how is the casual observer supposed to know whether a bag came with a shoulder strap or no?

SO you are overanalyzing this.

i like the long strap left on, even when i'm not using it, it means i always have the option to use it if need be, like if i need two hands for something i just stick it on my shoulder. i sometimes leave it dangling or sometimes pick the middle of it up and hold with with the short handle, i have no rules, just whatever feels comfortable but i never take the long strap off, it's too convenient to have it on

Sometimes I think a bag is put in celebrities hands just for the photo to gain publicity. In fact, I know this sometimes happens. So I wouldn't take too much stock in how they carry them. Hey, could that be how Vera Bradley got started? :shrugs:

I know I'm in the minority here but I cannot handle two different handle options on the same bag. It makes me conflicted in some strange way. For that very weird reason, and if you can do handheld, I say without.

I think I'd like to try using one of these type of bags, at least.....with both straps attached. Never had that style before, and I personally think it is rather trendy. You won't see many of these bags within 2 years....in my opinion.

MROD, try not to worry about LOOKS and go with what feels good to you. You are all the matters, and frankly, I have never thought, when I looked at somebody with a handbag, that it would look better carried one way or the other. And how is the casual observer supposed to know whether a bag came with a shoulder strap or no?

SO you are overanalyzing this.

:lol::lolots: Ok. Sorry. She is so my age group I love it!! Anyway, I have two bags that come with shoulder straps and here's my take on it. After having closed my car door and getting the shoulder strap caught in the door, I removed the strap on both bags. You may want to keep the additional strap in the bag on days that you are out shopping and walking a lot. Otherwise, as indiaink has said, don't give the looks of it a second thought!

i like the long strap left on, even when i'm not using it, it means i always have the option to use it if need be, like if i need two hands for something i just stick it on my shoulder. i sometimes leave it dangling or sometimes pick the middle of it up and hold with with the short handle, i have no rules, just whatever feels comfortable but i never take the long strap off, it's too convenient to have it on

I agree...I like to keep the long strap on in case I need it. But if I was never going to use it, I might take it off.

I love satchel with a removeable strap. I think it is great having this option. For me it depends how long the strap is. If it is a shorter one, I will attached to it. But for a longer strap and I think I will not use it, I will remove it. Reason I am short, so I don't want a long strap falling below my knee.. hehehehe.:winkiss:

I agree with IndiaInk that you have to just do what works for you. Having the long strap attached and hanging does seem to be the style right now. I leave the long strap on because I like having the option of switching around how I'm carrying the bag. I'm a city-dweller who takes public transportation so I like having a hands-free option and don't have to worry about the strap getting caught in car doors. Also, I'm just too lazy to bother with always attaching and detaching the strap!