Sapphire Origin and Value

efleon

LVoe
O.G.
Jul 30, 2008
Hi All,
I’m contemplating purchasing a sapphire and am getting confused about origin.
The more I research it the more it appears that value is closely linked to where it was mined.
The 3.1 carat cut-cornered-emerald cut stone I’m looking at is royal blue and from Thailand.
My jewelers are divided.
One loves it and says it faces up like a Ceylon so who cares about the cert.
C070703D-9D21-46EE-B7F0-8783A43186C5.jpegThe other is a sapphire-snob and says I can do better.
My gut says it’s awesome.
Any advice on sapphire origin is appreciated!
Thanks!

Go with your gut! That's a very pretty sapphire! Plus, How much longer would it take to find something "better"? I have been wanting to purchase a new ruby ring and have been finding that prices seem to keep inching up lately.

Reactions: efleon and RT1
Thank you everyone for your input so far.
I had no idea that the jewelry trade got so caught up in the origin of a stone but apparently with sapphires that’s the case.
My jeweler even admits that it faces up pure Ceylon.
I just know I like it’s royal blue color that looks dark and mysterious in some light and then flashes of brilliant blue in others.
It is an emerald cut so not much scintillation. More like large shards of blue flash.
It feels nice on the hand as well. Flush to my finger so I’m not terrified of banging it!
I have her with me this weekend to decide so please all opinions welcome....

• Love
Reactions: papertiger and RT1
I completely agree with the other posters - if you love it, get it! I’m a September baby who loves sapphires, and I think the ring is absolutely stunning.

If the sapphire-snob jeweler was telling you that there are tons of inclusions, and that it’s a poor quality stone, that would be something to consider. However, if the opinion is based purely on where the stone was mined, I would personally not pay much attention - unless you plan on selling it down the road...

• Love
Reactions: efleon and RT1
MHO, is if you love the ring, then get it. :tup:
Don't bother what anyone else says, you're the one who is going to wear and enjoy it. :yes:

I was at a local jeweler's today and found a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring that I am going to get on Monday.
I has the same fabulous color that your ring has. :cool:

RTone please post pics when you get!!
Exciting.
And I have looked at this stone through my loupe in all kinds of light and it’s very clean. I see a little silk but the saturation is consistent and pure.
I can’t stop staring at it!
It has an AGL certification that only states its 3.10 carats from Thailand and has minimum standard heat treatment.
Oh...forgot to mention...it’s by a designer I’m not familiar with
Kurt Wayne
But that doesn’t make a difference in my book.
If anyone is familiar with him please chime in!!!!

Reactions: RT1
It’s beautiful. I don’t like halo rings but on this ring I do, the diamonds are not imposing; the cut makes it look fresh; the colour is top! Could you take a photo in the direct sunlight? I bet in the sun this sapphire is even more gorgeous. (...and the only thing that matters about the origin of a gem is, imo, if it was mined ethically, that is not from conflict areas and by people who get paid decent wages)

• Love
Reactions: RT1 and efleon
She’s definitely on the darker side of royal blue.
The second pic is how she looks most of the time in bright but diffused light.
The first pic is direct sunlight (so this is as brilliant as she gets).
I personally like the deepness of the hue. I did not always. If you asked me 10 years ago, I would’ve been more attracted to light blue stones.
Go figure!
Totally a personal preference.1D97A8B5-A390-4E65-B762-1408B41B34FD.jpeg6E661A07-7B49-4F5F-B7E0-144CAA3CD46C.jpeg

It’s beautiful. I don’t like halo rings but on this ring I do, the diamonds are not imposing; the cut makes it look fresh; the colour is top! Could you take a photo in the direct sunlight? I bet in the sun this sapphire is even more gorgeous. (...and the only thing that matters about the origin of a gem is, imo, if it was mined ethically, that is not from conflict areas and by people who get paid decent wages)
Thank you.
I don’t know about the ethics of the mine but it is pre-owned so in that sense it’s “ethical“ or at least eco-friendly!

If the stone’s origin is not Ceylon then the price should reflect that, it is all relevant and it shouldn’t matter if you plan to resell or not. The same applies to whether it was heat-treated...price should reflect that. What matters more is if you love it!

• Love
Reactions: RT1