Sapphire or Steel?

Mar 10, 2007
Hi all! It's been a while since I purchased my last BV. It's an Ebano Montaigne. I currently have a large Veneta in Copper Rame & a black hobo. I am currently thinking of getting a new BV as a gift to myself for this year & our 3rd baby. I'm almost 7mos pregnant. :smile: The question is what color & style? The sapphire & steel has my attention now. Campana is what I'm thinking of. Any suggestions? Should I just go w/ nero since I don't have one in a classic BV style? And lastly, medium or large Campana? I'm 5"4 and usually don't carry a lot of things but I enjoy my large Veneta to bits. :smile: TIA! :smile:

A nero medium campana is so classic and oh so lovely:heart: I personally think the large campana is just too large for me. I recently bought a medium ebano campana and it is the perfect size. I am 5'7.

krawford said:
A nero medium campana is so classic and oh so lovely:heart: I personally think the large campana is just too large for me. I recently bought a medium ebano campana and it is the perfect size. I am 5'7.

I agree with you that Campana nero is lovely. :smile: Tried the large Campana as well & doesnt like the fit on me so I got the large Veneta instead. I have a few black in my collection. I have Chanel: medium & maxi flap, cambon bowler, PST all in black; Balenciaga GGH city and a hobo BV. I'm leaning towards the Sapphire but black is also in my list. Waaa! Confused. :sad:

I have not seen steel IRL but my SA sent me a sapphire sloane (which is my favorite BV bag) and as much as I wanted to like it I just didn't and sent it back. Do they make a medium steel campana?

Steel is a beautiful color, but I am concerned with getting it dirty. How are you with light colored bags? I saw Sapphire in person a while back, and really like the color, but there are past BV blues that I've liked more.

You can never go wrong with Nero, it is a classic color, and should be available in the classic styles for years to come. That does not diminish it in any way, but if you are really leaning toward a seasonal color then you have to risk a sell out before you can get one.

krawford said:
I have not seen steel IRL but my SA sent me a sapphire sloane (which is my favorite BV bag) and as much as I wanted to like it I just didn't and sent it back. Do they make a medium steel campana?

QUOTE="jburgh"]Steel is a beautiful color, but I am concerned with getting it dirty. How are you with light colored bags? I saw Sapphire in person a while back, and really like the color, but there are past BV blues that I've liked more.

You can never go wrong with Nero, it is a classic color, and should be available in the classic styles for years to come. That does not diminish it in any way, but if you are really leaning toward a seasonal color then you have to risk a sell out before you can get one.[/QUOTE]

Krawford, that I'm not sure of. I haven't seen the color irl.

Jburgh, that's also holding me back. I have a Balenciaga papyrus & it has some color transfer on it. :sad: I ended up not using it anymore. You think steel is hard to maintain? I let the ash scurro passed last time & now based from what I'm seeing steel is the closest color. Am I right? Haven't seen the sapphire irl as well. I'm actually looking for the kind of blue that has "wow" factor in it. The shade that will really make you look back at the bag again. Is there any other color you can suggest at the moment? I love nero. I was supposed to get it in Veneta but eneded up w/ copper rame w/c I don't regret at all but you know that something inside me is still yearning for nero. I have never gotten over that feeling. Thanks for your input. :smile:

I have a few black bags and my Nero Pyramid is my favorite. The nappa weave in Nero is so beautiful. When I use that bag, I have trouble switching it out. I would be a little concerned with Steel and color transfer, it is lighter than Ash Scuro.

My favorite recent blues in order were Cobalt, followed by Oceano, then Baltic (a blue-grey).

The most wow color that I an obsessing over is the new violet. Take a look at the S/S 2012 thread in the sticky section to see it. I am saving my pennies so I can pick up something in this fabulous color.

Good luck with your decision!

jburgh said:
I have a few black bags and my Nero Pyramid is my favorite. The nappa weave in Nero is so beautiful. When I use that bag, I have trouble switching it out. I would be a little concerned with Steel and color transfer, it is lighter than Ash Scuro.

My favorite recent blues in order were Cobalt, followed by Oceano, then Baltic (a blue-grey).

The most wow color that I an obsessing over is the new violet. Take a look at the S/S 2012 thread in the sticky section to see it. I am saving my pennies so I can pick up something in this fabulous color.

Good luck with your decision!

Awww. Thanks. I feel like I must get the nero now. Leaning towards it. :smile: Just deciding on the style. If the steel is lighter than ash scuro then it's definitely not meant for me. It will just end up in my closet. :sad: I might just wait for other blues or maybe try my luck in finding other blues from the past season. Thanks so much! :smile:

I am getting (well, I actually got--it's just sitting in my closet until Christmas) a Steel tote. I've taken it out and admired it and tried it on with stuff. I just don't see it as a light colored bag. If anything, I think it's one of the most dirt proof colors out there (barring a pen mark). I think it will hide scuffs and general dust build up very well. Denim transfer is a risk and I do think that would show. I was all set to get an ebano something for CHristmas because I wanted a classic color and something dark but the Steel just sucked me right in!!

As for Sapphire, it's a deep honest happy not super bright blue. Very pretty. If you're leaning to it, it might be that breath of freshness. What colors and styles do you wear most?

I am getting (well, I actually got--it's just sitting in my closet until Christmas) a Steel tote. I've taken it out and admired it and tried it on with stuff. I just don't see it as a light colored bag. If anything, I think it's one of the most dirt proof colors out there (barring a pen mark). I think it will hide scuffs and general dust build up very well. Denim transfer is a risk and I do think that would show. I was all set to get an ebano something for CHristmas because I wanted a classic color and something dark but the Steel just sucked me right in!!

As for Sapphire, it's a deep honest happy not super bright blue. Very pretty. If you're leaning to it, it might be that breath of freshness. What colors and styles do you wear most?

I agree. I don't think Steel is particularly light. It won't be immune to denim transfer but it won't get dirty instantly either. Papyrus is beige and much lighter than Steel.

grietje said:

Still undecided. :sad: I'm leaving for Australia on the 15th and hoping to find steel & sapphire there so I can see the colors irl. Local store here in my place doesn't really have much of variations. Nero on the other hand will always be available. That's another factor I'm considering. I wear mostly jeans (dark & light) with white, grey & black tops & sometimes bright colors.

apey_grapey said:
I agree. I don't think Steel is particularly light. It won't be immune to denim transfer but it won't get dirty instantly either. Papyrus is beige and much lighter than Steel.

I was waiting for something like ash scuro. Is steel the closest color? I guess I just have to wear light color clothes if I end up getting steel. Thanks!