Same quality at Nordstrom Rack?

Ash8989

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
I recall reading somewhere that certain items are specifically made for factory stores with lower quality materials- is that the same for outlet-like retailers like Nordstrom Rack? I just ordered a cashmere Vince sweater that I missed out on last fall, but the version I received from NR is weirdly itchy. Has anyone else had a similar experience with items they had previously tried on at the original retailer?

I recall reading somewhere that certain items are specifically made for factory stores with lower quality materials- is that the same for outlet-like retailers like Nordstrom Rack? I just ordered a cashmere Vince sweater that I missed out on last fall, but the version I received from NR is weirdly itchy. Has anyone else had a similar experience with items they had previously tried on at the original retailer?
You're only going to get specifically-made for factory stuff at the actual brand factory stores. Like Banana Republic Factory, Ann Taylor factory, etc. and the tags are labeled as such. Vince from Nordstrom Rack is most likely overstock or past season stuff from regular retail. Sometimes darker color cashmere sweaters are made with lower quality cashmere and are more itchy. Is it a dark color?

You're only going to get specifically-made for factory stuff at the actual brand factory stores. Like Banana Republic Factory, Ann Taylor factory, etc. and the tags are labeled as such. Vince from Nordstrom Rack is most likely overstock or past season stuff from regular retail. Sometimes darker color cashmere sweaters are made with lower quality cashmere and are more itchy. Is it a dark color?
It’s dark navy, but when I tried it on at the Vince store it felt completely different! It’s so strange

Many companies also make just for outlet items as well not just Nordstrom. Example: Paige jeans, Hudson etc. It depends on the contract with Nordstrom. Some are extra's from the designer or left over from the full line Nordstrom store but 80% of the Rack is made for outlet.

Not sure on Vince but I would google the item # on the label to see when it was sold and where to be sure if you want to see how it was sold before it hit the rack.

This says only 80% of the racks stuff is last season, first issue.

https://www.racked.com/2014/10/8/7573957/outlet-mall-stores

At my store, I see maybe 5% of stuff that looks first quality.
Wow. Thanks for this article— I had no idea! I checked the sku on the tag and it’s identical to the item that was previously sold on the Vince website. And the tag says it’s 100% cashmere but it honestly feels like felt.

Reactions: huddieb
I purchased a Vince silk dress earlier this month from NR, and it seems okay to me. I probably order from Nordstrom Rack at least twice a month. I also buy a lot of Equipment silk shirts from NR.
I tend not to buy a lot of cashmere because it pills a lot and I've always found a lot of brands itchy. I have ordered from NR cashmere from Philosophy, which feels much better on my skin.
As for Nordstrom Rack selling cheaper versions of name brands, it's possible. Remember, Gucci does the same thing at its outlet and so does St. John.

Eileen Fisher from rack is not even close to what you get in the regular Nordstrom, *unless* it is a rare one-off item that shows up in the Rack clearance isle. The clearance stuff is leftover from the regular stores. But the stuff in the Rack Eileen Fisher section is definitely lower quality.

Yes, the employees at Nordstrom Rack told me some of their merchandise is designed and purchased for sale just for the Rack. So look for brands you know before you buy.

I heard that some brands have deals with NR. IE: Vince and Theory I believe I heard that they produce items JUST for nr that look similar to their current season items sold elsewhere BUT they are made using slightly cheaper materials. It's messed up IMO b/c people think they are getting a deal, but they are actually just paying less for a lesser quality garment, which makes sense. Sometimes deals are too good to be true. *this does not apply to all items*

I recently purchased a Mario Valentino Bag on the NR website and when it arrived I was disappointed in the quality of the bag. I purchased a Mario Valentino bag several years ago on another retailer website and the quality of the bag was excellent. I noticed what I thought was a synthetic smell, not a genuine leather smell. I purchased this bag on their clearance deal to resell but I’m reluctant to sell it because it’s not the quality I was expecting. I’ve purchased many items from NR and haven’t had any issues. Very disappointed in this purchase. I’d leave a negative comment but the bag is sold out and there’s no way to write a review.

Reactions: lulilu