Same brand new bag... broken TWICE!! what to do??

schm

O.G.
Jul 10, 2007
I bought the Legacy Thompson Hobo in December and about a week after I had it the leather that holds the brass rings that attach the bag to the strap started fraying around the edges. I put the bag away and remembered the problem months later so I brought it to the Coach boutique and they sent it out for repair. Now I was sent a brand new version of the same bag, and THE SAME EXACT THING IS HAPPENING!!! :cursing: i havent heard of anyone having any problems with this bag but I am really annoyed that TWO new bags have done this! especially since it was an expensive bag to begin with and I know Coach quality is better than this! I went back to the store (where I used to work incidentally) to complain to my ex-manager but she was pretty rude and told me there is nothing they can do since jacksonville didnt have anymore bags in stock... I dont want to risk it by sending it out because I dont want them to keep the bag and send me some letter of apology... I'll keep my bag and have it fixed by a cobbler or something because i LOVE this bag... but at the same time, I feel that something should be done because I paid for a quality leather bag which is now falling apart after a few WEEKS of use!!! I have half a mind to call customer service and vent but I know you are all very knowledgeable here on the Coach forum so I'm hoping someone will have some different or better advice. Have any of you experienced anything similar and what have you done?

Thanks! :smile:

Yikes! I'm sorry this happened to you and that Coach wasn't helpful in fixing it. Definitely take it to a cobbler if you can or maybe keep your eyes on ebay or at the outlets for a new (hopefully not defective) one and return the frayed one...? :s

^I did! It was me. I have had two of them, one in Ink (blue) and one in Toffee. The first one I exchanged for another one, and sure enough, it happen again. The second bag, I finally took a Coach credit!

It is a poor design. I think that what happens is, when you put even the slightest weight inside the bag and you carry it, the weight puts stress on the loops and when it twists as you walk, it causes it to split on the side of the loop where the leather is sealed together.

My Coach Boutique was very accommodating on taking it back and giving me a full credit.

BadThompsonagain022.jpg

mycoachisfallingapart005.jpg

Here are my links to the same problem...
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/i-want-cry-1-day-my-purse-defective-294983.html
and
http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/here-i-go-again-with-defective-thompson-hobo-340893.html

Good Luck! Keep us posted on what you do!!! I personally would return it! You are not alone...there have been several others that have posted this same problem as well!

Last edited:
You should check and see if you can get reimbursement from Coach for the repair. I was told to have my shirt dry cleaned and send the bill to Coach when my metallic Peyton rubbed off on it. I would think if you had your leather shop repair this that they would also reimburse for that.

I've also had your issue with one bag, but I repaired it myself, and another bag I put glue around the area where I thought it might become a problem. I didn't want to take the risk of sending the bags back or wait such a long time. I think this is actually a common problem...I'm not excusing it, but just that I've also seen higher end brands with the same issue. I also don't understand why they are suddenly turning the handles around showing the coated side on bags...like my Legacy satchel. That's going to look FAB when the coating starts to peel!! At least with the sealed edges turned on the inside, you couldn't see it as easily. I do think it does mostly happen around the stress areas from the weight, though. If the seal is the slightest bit old or not put on in the right environment and does not bond or stretch properly when weight is put on it, it then cracks and peels. It's also probably not something that shows up so easily during QC checks but rather after a few uses IRL.

I didn't want to take the risk of sending the bags back or wait such a long time.

I do think it does mostly happen around the stress areas from the weight, though. If the seal is the slightest bit old or not put on in the right environment and does not bond or stretch properly when weight is put on it, it then cracks and peels. It's also probably not something that shows up so easily during QC checks but rather after a few uses IRL.

I was told if they sent it in, it would take about 4-6 weeks to hear back. If it is not fixable, they send back a store credit and keep the bag. I did not want to wait for 4-6 weeks for them to tell me that they are not willing to fix it. :tdown:

Baglady is right, I checked that second bag over really, really close, it was perfect! It happened within the first few days that I carried the bag. :sad:

OK, this is ridiculous that this keeps happening! You definnitely need to go somewhere that will just give you store credit. Maybe print this whole thread or Crazy4coachbag's prior threads that she gave you links to and take it in to prove that its not just you and happening to more than one person. If I remember correctly, this also happened to another TPF'r besides Crazy4CB and Baglady39 - she took it back for store credit and got a Multifunction tote instead. I have this same bag, but haven't used it all that much and am just waiting for it to happen to mine too.

If you do take it to be repaired Coach will void the warranty for that bag. I am not saying you shouldn't do it, I just wanted to let you know.

I agree. That is why I just took mine back. I considered glueing it, but I did not want it to be my baby when it didn't not work. It was way too expensive! I replaced mine with the Bleecker Woven Hobo. It was a good swap for me.

12378_b4ma_a0_front

OH wait, did Hisgeekgrrrl mean, if Coach fixes it, a leather shop, or if you fix it????

I agree, it is if YOU or a leather shop that tried to fix it and it does not work out right, then yes, YOU void it out.

If COACH tries to fix it...and it does not work, than you are still fine with the warranty.

Right???

It depends...I mean first of all, are you really going to tell them you tried to repair it yourself?? My guess is no, and frankly, you can remove any glue or whatever before sending it in if you feel it's an issue. If you take it to a professional, I don't think they have an issue with that. Keep in mind that this is what they have you do on occasion at Coach directly. It does not void the warranty. They generally do not do the repairs and cleaning, but send them out anyway. I would keep any receipts where you had the repair done, but again, when I asked about something around here, I was told to send it to a north Jersey place (or they would) that's not affiliated with Coach at all...but they deal with Coach and other high end brands.

Now...if you do something "dumb", lol, yourself, it may be an issue... But I've really seen them take stuff back that was questionably "ruined" by the customer. It's a judgment call, though, of course. And yes, I would probably ask before I attempted any major work on a bag. I don't feel that this seal issue is a huge deal, and I know a SA that had it repaired herself too. She would recommend it just because of the wait and Coach doesn't really make those repairs but in about 50% of the cases...and probably done outside.