salon hair treatment

I'm getting my hair cut & colour this weekend. My stylist also put me down for a special hair treatment. Has anyone done any kind of hair treatment at a salon? Is it worth it? I've only done hot oil treatment and I didn't see any difference. I use the blow dryer only sometimes but I do use a curling iron.

The treatment is $65... I called the salon to ask and they said it's "to make your hair more healthy." ok they are a Japanese high end hair salon so maybe it was language barrier but the explanation from the receptionist does not make me trust it 100%. I told them to put the treatment off for another time. But i still want to know about your experiences with salon hair treatments.

Thank you!

i think it depends if you really need it a lot. If you flat iron your hair at least once a week, and use a blowdryer once a month I can see why someone would have this done. (I, myself, being at my wits end with my naturally curly hair, LOL)

But if you really don't use a lot of heat on your hair and don't really need it to be any more shiny than I don't see what the point of having it done would be. Also, make sure you always trust the salon. Take into consideration the communication thing, too. They have to listen to what you say and be able to understand your language.

It doesn't help to not know what the treatment is exactly or how long it takes.

I go to Ulta, and they offer a $15 hair treatment. I'll get it on occasion, because sometimes it's so worth it because the stylist will spend like 5 minutes just massaging my scalp. :drool: Other than that, I really don't notice a difference.

$65 seems like a lot for a treatment, when there are so many masks and deep conditioner out there for less than $5.

I guess it depends upon the kind of treatment. Yes, there are several types of treatments that can be done for the $10-$20 range. However, there is one treatment I know of that can be a bit pricier, but it IS worth it. It is called a thermal cauterization treatment and takes a little over an hour to complete. Results are instant and amazing!!! If your hair is very damaged from hot tools or chemical processing, I would highly recommend trying some like this if you are able.

I agree - even at a higher-end salon, $65 seems pretty high for a treatment. Is it an intensive conditioner, or what? I've paid up to around $30 or $35 for those and even then it involved aromatherapy and a scalp massage. I would ask them specifically what the treatment involves before I dropped $65 on it.

thank you so much to everyone's advice! I have my appointment on Saturday so I will ask my stylist more then... the receptionist couldn't answer my question very well... i'm not quite willing to drop 65 on a treatment in these recession times... 65 can get me a GOOD trip to the farmer's market! thank you to everyone!