Salina drawstring bag--leather looks fake?

aquatara

Aug 10, 2008
Hi, I just purchased a light brown Salina bag from an eBay seller. I was dismayed yesterday when I picked it up at the post office--the leather is fakey looking foam-like leather. I have four other H-H bags--two Mosas, one Nico XX and one Paul Marrot Edition Nomade. They are all made from that cushy, crumpled looking leather that I associate with H-H. In contrast, the Salina bag is very flat and even in texture and in color. Even though it is soft, it has no character. Does anyone know why the Salina leather is so unlike other H-H bag leather?

The seller has another Salina in black still up for auction on eBay. Here are links to both auctions:

The bag I won:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280308138331&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr2_PcY_BID_IT&refitem=280305185799&itemcount=2&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DCRX%26its%3DS%252BI%26itu%3DUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D2

The bag still up for auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280305185799

Can you take some photos of the bag you received? The one in the ebay auction looks authentic.

As far as the leather, all I can say is that different HH bags are made from different kinds of leather. So some are super buttery soft whereas others are stiffer.

Hi aquatara, I have a currant Salina and I love mine. It's the softest leather I've ever felt. I also have a currant Nico XX in the same currant leather. I'm not familiar with the Mosa or the Nomade so I'm unsure as to what crumpled looking leather you mean, unless it's the same lambskin leather used for the Gaza and Hudson. So I guess to best answer your question, my Salina is exactly like my Nico XX, leather wise.

Thanks for your responses. Here is a close-up of the Salina leather:
0502190006-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the leather of my Nomade, which is the same as the crumply eather on my two Mosas and my Nico XX:

0502190009-1.jpg

i can't help you very much as i don't have very many bags, but i just wanted to mention that not all HH bags have "crumply" leather - in fact, none of mine do, just cause i don't love the look. mine are all smooth leather, more like the first pic you posted. they do, however, feel nice and thick (esp. my havana).

Actually, my Nico XX isn't as crumply as my Mosas and my Nomade, but I bought it used, so it may look more weathered from actual use rather than from leather treatments used in manufacturing.

Thanks so much for your response, hokka. That is what I needed to hear. I have other bags that are "crumply"--a Linea Pelle and a Francesco Biasia. Basically all my "good" bags are either crumpled or glazed, so I'm glad to find out that other textures are made by my favorite manufacturer H.H.

The Salina leather is extremely smooth and unblemished; it's very 'slickery' and just perfectly smooth and soft. As you've discovered, it's not like any other Hayden-Harnett leather. I have the Salina in Ink, and I've had it in currant as well.

It's not fake, aquatara, just another example of Hayden-Harnett's fine work with leather.

Once you've gotten over the surprise, I hope you learn to love it - it's the most buttery leather I think HH has ever done.

That looks just like the leather on my luggage nico and mercer clutch--one of my most favorite HH leathers! It will age really well and you'll end up loving it :smile: