Sales Tax @ Shopbop

cucumber

so refreshing
May 11, 2009
I'm so shocked to find out that Shopbop now charges sales tax for Washington State (WA)! I contacted them and they said they started to in Jan 2010 because Shopbop is a subsidiary of Amazon.com (headquarters in Seattle) now. I shopped there a lot and have spent thousands of dollars, but now think I will never shop there again. Who wants to throw $$$ away on sales tax during times like these?

Yeah, just got charged tax on my order. And then went to Anthropologie and they have the same shoes on sale. So now have to send the Shopbop shoes back. Sometimes you just can't win.

As far as sales tax, if you have friends / relatives in Oregon, then you know what to do, right?:graucho:

p-WA

sales tax goes towards all the public services of your state even Leona Helmsley had to pay her taxes & went to jail and she was quoted saying only little people pay taxes

and get use to it, most states are in the red and need the money that is lost on internet sales and starting to enforce collecting tax on such sales

you can thank NY state for Amazon collecting taxes now:

http://news.bookweb.org/m-bin/printer_friendly?article_id=6506

If you're able to "spend thousands" sales tax shouldn't be a problem. Threads like this really make me LOL. Everyone should pay sales tax, get over it!

You seem to miss the point completely. This is not about tax evasion done with the help of a sneaky unscrupulous SA.

Shopbop used not to charge sales tax to WA because its headquarters were in WI (I think). They are part of AMZN with headquarters in Seattle and this is now considered a 'presence' for tax purposes. So, WA residents suddenly have to pay tax even though their stuff is still shipped from WI (and takes a long time to get here). I think we have a right to be peeved under the circumstances.

p-WA

Amazon bought ShopBop in 2006 and in the past couple of years there had been a lot of talk that the state was going to start cracking down on retailers who do not charge sales tax on purchases made by WA residents, so I'm surprised ShopBop didn't start charging sales tax sooner actually.

Now, I expect Zappos to soon start charging sales tax on purchase made by WA residents (if it isn't already), since Amazon bought them last year too.

Sure, it's disappointing to have to pay a few extra dollars, but I love Zappos and ShopBop has some great items so as long as other things (such as good customer service or super fast shipping) don't change, I'll still shop at both online retailers.

You seem to miss the point completely. This is not about tax evasion done with the help of a sneaky unscrupulous SA.

Shopbop used not to charge sales tax to WA because its headquarters were in WI (I think). They are part of AMZN with headquarters in Seattle and this is now considered a 'presence' for tax purposes. So, WA residents suddenly have to pay tax even though their stuff is still shipped from WI (and takes a long time to get here). I think we have a right to be peeved under the circumstances.

p-WA

I didn't miss the point. It still doesn't bother me. We all have to pay tax. Big deal. I've always have super fast shipping with SB.

Amazon bought ShopBop in 2006 and in the past couple of years there had been a lot of talk that the state was going to start cracking down on retailers who do not charge sales tax on purchases made by WA residents, so I'm surprised ShopBop didn't start charging sales tax sooner actually.

Now, I expect Zappos to soon start charging sales tax on purchase made by WA residents (if it isn't already), since Amazon bought them last year too.

Sure, it's disappointing to have to pay a few extra dollars, but I love Zappos and ShopBop has some great items so as long as other things (such as good customer service or super fast shipping) don't change, I'll still shop at both online retailers.

:goodpost: ITA.

Sorry, OP, you get no sympathy from me. I agree with pixiepeach and katlun.

It's people who circumvented the system to save a few bucks here and there who are now responsible for the aggressive enforcing of these new sales-tax policies. All those people who thought they got a free lunch by avoiding paying sales tax (when they should have) had their lunch paid for by the states, the businesses who didn't tax you, and the responsible taxpayers. And I'm very appalled that instead of quietly accepting what was supposed to be all along, there are people moaning and complaining on these boards about it. Seriously...at least you don't live in LA, where we pay nearly 10% sales tax, in addition to sky-high property taxes and costs of living.

Last edited:

I tend to buy relatively expensive stuff online so I always compare prices. An instant 8% hike is likely to make both Zappos and Shopbop too expensive for me.

p-WA

It's people who circumvented the system to save a few bucks here and there who are now responsible for the aggressive enforcing of these new sales-tax policies. All those people who thought they got a free lunch by avoiding paying sales tax (when they should have) had their lunch paid for by the states, the businesses who didn't tax you, and the responsible taxpayers. And I'm very appalled that instead of quietly accepting what was supposed to be all along, there are people moaning and complaining on these boards about it. Seriously...at least you don't live in LA, where we pay nearly 10% sales tax, in addition to sky-high property taxes and costs of living.

Agreed! I live in NYC so we are in a very similar boat.

Agreed! Seriously, it's the law, it's not as if Shopbop is somehow profiting off the taxes they are bound by law to assess. They ship fast, they ship free, returns are free. For the love of man, what more do you want! You give people an inch, they take a foot and stick it up your a**. Geesh.