Workplace Salaries listed in ads...?

eff

O.G.
Jan 26, 2006
I was contacted about a job by an employer, they had a look at my resume and sent me the job description which included the salary for the position. Would it be fair to go into an interview assuming that this could be negotiated up a bit, or would it be a waste of time? I've always just accepted what's offered generally, but it seems a bit low to me. When employers list the salary for a position, are they dead set on it, or are they keeping it low hoping whoever gets the position will accept it?

Salary is always negotiable. If you get to the point where you are doing comp negotiations be prepared to state your comp requirements and present your education and experience to justify what you are asking for.

My paralegal used glassdoor.com and negotiated a fair-but-mean salary. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way) ... they do provide a good window / starting point for your industry and in some cases, the exact or a similar position within your company. They can trend a bit high if not adjusted according to region, however, so be conscious of whether you're looking at a salary for a global position that might be in, say, Singapore when considering where to start for the same position with a small local business.