Saks has lost me as a client! Crazy story.

sjunky13

Dreaming............
O.G.
Dec 17, 2006
I decided to return a Chanel bag to Saks, I first called the store and spoke to someone in handbags , the girl said it was no problem. They did not carrry Chanel , but the return would'nt be a problem at all. I called customer service to verify and they agreed as long as it was purchased on my Saks card , it could be returned.
My husband drove to the store, they told him Chanel is a leased department and cant be returned to non Chanel stores. He asked for a manager and the manager came over and told him the same thing. They dont take back merchandise they dont own. I know this is not true, so I talked to the manager on the phone and explaned I had called the store numerous times and gave him the girls name I spoke to and that they in fact said it was no problem. I asked for a senior management member and it took about 30 minutes for him to come down. The guy is the assistant manager of the store, he says the same thing. They cant take it back...etc. I explained again , I have called and spoke to 2 different people and was told it was no problem. I know they can take it back. He agrues with me for about 20 minutes on my husbands cell phone. He says they " Never have taken a Chanel return". I am relentless because I know this is NOT saks policy. He puts me on hold, walks away with my bag and comes back after 20 minutes. He then tells me my bag is not in saleable condition. This bag is brand new with tags. It came to the store wrapped in tissue on handles and around the base. I have NEVER worn this bag, My husband tells me the man is rubbing the corners and looking inside the bag for a good 20 minutes.
He comes back to the phone and tells me it is not in saleable condition and that he returned 5 Chanel bags that day and they were perfect.
WAIT!!! I said, you and your other manager have told me you have never taken back a Chanel bag.At this time I am starting to really get out of breath and cry, I told him he is changing what he just said. The story Changes. He tells me to 'Bring it up with Chanel, saks cant help me". I am very upset on the phone, my husband is just standing in the store while this assistant manager is yelling at me. The bag was ordered from California. He told me that I shouldnt order bags and have them sent, it then wouldnt be a problem. He keeps repeating to "take it up with Chanel and Saks can't do anything. " Take it to Chanel in NYC, He says other I tell him this is your merchandise, he also said things to me I wont repeat and then my husband takes the phone.
The man walks away with my bag. He decided to send it to California Saks where it was purchased. Final kicker? He tells me there is no guarantee I will see my bag or a refund again.
I swear, I have Never had bad customer serviced like this. I have called corporate and reported this man. Over one hour my husband was in the store, more than half of the time they took my bag in the back. I am sooo worried about it. What if I never see it again , what are they doing to it. Why did they lie to me for over half of an hour? Very upset. Sorry for bad grammar and I am sure typos, this is just too unreal.

Wow, I am stunned. What a horrible experience, I'm sorry you are dealing with this. I would not have let that man take my bag unless I was getting a refund right then and there. I hope everything works out for you!

WOW!!! That is unbelievable. I can't believe the Asst. Manager was so rude. I feel awful for you. Do you, at least, have some kind of proof that the store kept the bag? Did someone make a note of that on the receipt or something? How can he just say that you may never see your bag or get a refund? What's up with that? I also would not have let him take the bag without a refund right then and there. I hope this all works out in the end. Keep us posted. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Call the customer service number at corporate and report this asap in case anything happens. And your credit card or saks card (hsbc) to report this! Also get the store mgrs name and call him/her about this outrageous behavior! My dh would have slapped him silly if he was standing there listening to him yell at me!

That is incredibly rude!!! But I know how you feel. I ordered a LV bag from the saks nyc store when they still had the no tax sending out of state thing going on and when i got the bag it was a little scratched up and it looked like it was a display bag. I had my bf go return it for me the next day as its on his way home from work and they said it wasnt in "selling condition." I was soooo mad, because the only time i touched the bag was to look at it the night before and to put it back in the box, so what the manager was basically telling me was one of their stores sold me a bag that shouldnt have been sold at full retail. That is just GREAT!
I called the SA i bought the bag from and she immediately sent me a shipping label and refunded my card as soon as she got it back. I would say deal with your original store you purchased the bag from. It takes a little bit longer than instant return, but they should be easier to deal with.

wow, girl, that is so sad. I am so sorry to hear about all of that...and, your poor hubby...he was just trying to help you out bringing the bag to the store for you, I imagine he didn't see all that coming either.

Has a refund been issued to your Saks card or do you have to wait until the bag arrives back in California?

So sad. I really hope this all works out for you.

((hugs))

:heart:

This has to be the worst Sak's experience I've ever heard!! OP, I'm so sorry you had to go through such a nightmare!! Please call their Corporate Office and report this person! His behavior was completely unacceptable!!

The main concern at this point though is finding out what he did with your bag! The nerve of him, taking the bag, and saying you may not get your money back?? Do you have some proof that he took it?

I'm sending good thoughts your way that this gets resolved quickly.

wow just wow! i am so sorry! and very disappointed in Saks. I am not a regular saks shopper, but when i have bought there i've been happy with the service, so I am so sorry and disappointed. I expect better from them. I hope that it will get worked out and your receive an apology from that awful manager!

I called the CA store and they advised me to report the situation to corporate and I have. They filled out a report and I should be getting a call today. I feel sick and cant sleep.

I'm still stunned.

I totally get it if they don't want to take back leased space merchant in another store. ( folks cours return fakes if they aren't familiar with it!). But if they do, then they should! And not give you attitude! Bc that part just creams, I can't be bothered to help you return a 3 k+ bag...you didn't buy from here, so what do I care?

A lot of ladies on here warn to always go to the original sa to return! Now I see why! Oh the drama!

Perhaps get the original sa to call him to find out where it is? ( or that sa store mgr to give him a piece of his mind?

That man sounds like an absolute tw$t! I really don't thinkyou should of handed somebody like that the bag without a refund then and there, with an attitude like his then who knows what he will do with it?!
I feel so sorry for you that you had to go through that, when you think of Saks you do not think of terrible customer service like that.
I sincerely hope that you recieve a full refund in a timely manner and an apology from that poor excuse of a man