Saks.com is RIDICULOUS

Byie

Feb 14, 2009
This is a long and unpleasant story:

Everyone knew that Saks.com had a huge after-xmas sale. I placed an order with them on 12/25/09: a Maison Martin Margiela X-Shaped Hobo in gray and a pair of Miu Miu flats. Lovely. I received the order on 1/5/10 and opened it up excitedly. I saw the flats, they were adorable. Then the bag...it wasn't gray. It didn't look like the bag I purchased online. The leather was really really soft, but it was black with blue decoration. NOT MY BAG. I called sak.com CS immediately to inquire. The representative apologized for the mistake and arranged a fedex guy to pick it up the next day. I was happy with the service. (I ended up returning the flats as well because I bought too many pairs of shoes...) The package was returned to the Sak's distribution center on 1/8/10.

After two weeks, I still had not seen the refund come through, so I called to follow up. Again, they apologized for the inconvenience and would check with the distribution center.

A week or so later, I got a package from the distribution center with a letter saying that they could not accept my return on the bag because they could not find this particular item in their system and Saks does not carry it. WTH!!! :wtf: I returned the bag because it was not the same bag that I ordered and now they were telling me that it is MY FAULT that this was not the same bag??!!! RIDICULOUS!!!! So I called CS immediately and told them what happened and I was now irritated by this whole situation. The lady this time said she was sincerely empathized with me and offered me a fedex pickup the next day and would make sure she let the distribution center knows what had happened. She also offered to send me $25 giftcard for my inconvenience. She said that she would call me to let me know the status by the end of the week. I really appreciated how nice she was. So I gave it another try.

Another two weeks later, I had not heard anything from the nice CS lady or had not seen the giftcard. I finally would not deal with it anymore and filed a dispute with my credit card company. The credit card company called and asked me the standard questions and what had happened. I told them everything and they said they would talk to Sak.com and see what was going on.

A few days later, I received a credit on my statements and an email from Saks.com saying that they completed the refund. BUT THAT'S NOT THE END OF THE STORY. Saks did not issue me a refund. It was my credit card company who put that charge on hold.

Fast forward a couple week later - today, I received a phone call from Saks.com Security Department telling me the bag I returned was not in their system and could not issue me my refund of almost $500. She basically implied that I was trying to cheat their system and I am no longer allowed to purchase from Saks.com. I will have to make purchase at the store only! I WAS AND STILL AM FURIOUS! I don't know how the wrong bag would get shipped out at the first place and WHY AM I THE ONE TO BLAME FOR????!!!! I told that lady on the phone, it is perfectly fine that I don't shop at sak.com anymore because there are a lot of other department stores that I can buy from. Not my loss.

Thank you for letting me share my story and vent! Just be aware that if you receive a wrong item from Sak.com, you will probably not be able to get a refund. :pout:

Last edited:
Yikes. I am sorry you've gone through this. After reading all the stories about fraud on department stores recently, I guess they are being cautious. It's a shame it had to impact an honest buyer like you.

I had a problem with them where I ordered something for a gift, and paid extra for the expedited shipping. They emailed me 5 days later to say that it was on backorder and had CANCELLED the transaction. But because it took them 5 days, I was left hanging on the gift. I called them and asked them why it took so long- and got the answer of "the warehouse is a different department so we are nto sure what their procedure is". Never again- their customer service reps should be called "there is nothing I can do for you" reps!

really if they are going to be like that, they should use serial # tags on the bags... that totally sucks and I hope you get your $ back

So they have both the bag and your $$? That really sucks. Did the bag come with a Saks tag? I hope someone in the warehouse didn't do a switcharoo. There is a saks rep who lurks on TPF. I think he goes by "SaksListens". You should totally PM him about your situation.

I feel soo bad about your situation OP! :hugs:

I had a problem with them where I ordered something for a gift, and paid extra for the expedited shipping. They emailed me 5 days later to say that it was on backorder and had CANCELLED the transaction. But because it took them 5 days, I was left hanging on the gift. I called them and asked them why it took so long- and got the answer of "the warehouse is a different department so we are nto sure what their procedure is". Never again- their customer service reps should be called "there is nothing I can do for you" reps!

That happened to me too! I was so upset and disappointed! Sigh.

I have the same question as a previous poster; did the bag come with a Sak's tag of any sort? I assume that the invoice reflected the correct bag...? That is so strange. How could Sak's ship you something then claim not to carry it? How bizarre! I'm sorry you are dealing with this, but at least you have chargeback protection via your CC!!

So they have both the bag and your $$? That really sucks. Did the bag come with a Saks tag? I hope someone in the warehouse didn't do a switcharoo. There is a saks rep who lurks on TPF. I think he goes by "SaksListens". You should totally PM him about your situation.

Several years back this happened to my DH. He ordered a printer, but when he got it, the printer was not the one he ordered, and was used. He took it back to the store and of course they did not believe him and he had to file a dispute with the credit card company to get his money back. A couple months later he found out, that there was a warehouse worker bringing in his used items and swapping them for other peoples orders. The company had several complaints and only then looked into it.

wow, thanks for the heads up. I have a saks.com order headed my way, but hopefully nothing that should have an issue. Do you have a Saks store in your state? Sometimes it's just easier to return online orders to the store, if they let you.