Saks and Gucci - Please Help!

Sep 2, 2013
My fiancé gave me a Gucci Signature Leather Zip-Around Wallet. He purchased it at our nearby Saks store on December 23, 2016. I was thrilled!

Alas, upon closer inspection of the wallet, I realized that the inside leather zipper pull was bent (quite a bit, in fact). A brand new high-end item should be flawless at purchase. I refuse to accept anything less than.

Despite our busy schedules during the holiday season, we carved out some time to swing by Saks to do an exchange. When I explained to the Gucci sales associate the condition of the wallet, she laughed and told me, "Oh, you'll be alright." I told her that I was unhappy with it, and I would like an exchange. Again, she dismissed my complaint then added that the store was sold out of this wallet.

I was taken aback by her reaction. Our initial interaction with her, about a week prior to my fiancé purchasing the wallet, was not as dismissive. We thought she was friendly enough, that's why my fiancé decided to go back to Saks a few days later to buy the wallet to surprise me on Christmas Day. I do not fault Saks or this sales associate for the wallet being sold out at that location. It's a lovely wallet. But she never offered to find us a replacement. The wallet is available at Saks online. I do not wish to get anyone in trouble, but I do expect stellar customer service from Saks...whether in a brick-and-mortar location, over the phone, or online. Maybe she was having an off day, but still. Why should I have to put up with a defective product?

Hoping for a better reception and a resolution, I called the Customer Service line this afternoon. The CS representative who handled my call informed me that the online "store" cannot deal with any in-store purchase complaints. Frustrating! It's the same company! He told me that I could return the wallet to the same Saks and receive a refund, and then we could order the same wallet online.

First of all, this was a gift. I am not going to purchase the replacement item. That's tacky. And I will not ask my fiancé to do the return in store and repurchase online. That's even tackier. Secondly, it's a simple exchange (same model and same color...it's the exact same wallet). I just want a brand new flawless wallet as an exchange.

Since this is the only nearby Saks to us (with the next closest one hours away) and the only Gucci boutique (standalone or within a department store) in the area, I don't want to be blackballed. I do wish to buy additional Gucci items, and I don't want this SA to have a grudge on me. I don't know how many other Gucci SAs there are at this Saks location. It's relatively small (Gucci boutique).

Given our busy work schedules, we do not have the time to travel to another Saks location to do an exchange. We barely had the time to go this past weekend to our Saks to attempt an exchange. And calling Saks customer service this afternoon wasn't a quick conversation. All this has taken up too much of my time as it is.

I need guidance, please. I plan on emailing Saks tomorrow. I want to make sure I word my complaint and request clearly and effectively...in a way that will yield a satisfactory resolution.

Thank you!

I don't understand why you just didn't return the faulty product when you where at the store? If the SA isn't being helpful why not talk to a manager? Since the SA you delt with was not helpful, why not use another SA? I also don't understand why it would be tacky to return a gift to replace it with the same item that's not faulty. I'm sure that your fiance would want you to have a gift that is functional especially at that price point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using PurseForum mobile app

Reactions: Qteepiec and KBT39
At the time, we didn't know that the wallet was available online. That's one reason we didn't return the wallet then. Also, like I said, this Saks isn't very big, including the Gucci boutique. So the SAs and managers aren't plentiful. It's usually one SA per department.

I do understand that not everyone would think it's tacky. Returning something isn't tacky, per se. But given that it was a gift and one that he meant as a surprise, I don't want for him to do all this extra work (return and repurchase), when the initial gesture itself is already so sweet and generous.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Return and order new one. I would t waste any more of your valuable time on it. Good luck!

:yes:

Rules regarding dept store/ stand alone stores/ Gucci online are very complicated and even some SAs don't understand the details and yes at times it's a PITA.

Such lovely gift but I agree, any Gucci purchase should be absolutely perfect. Return the wallet and order from Gucci online.

:yes:

Rules regarding dept store/ stand alone stores/ Gucci online are very complicated and even some SAs don't understand the details and yes at times it's a PITA.

Such lovely gift but I agree, any Gucci purchase should be absolutely perfect. Return the wallet and order from Gucci online.

Thank you, papertiger!
I promise I am not being overly picky. The leather zipper pull was bent in half.

I definitely will receive a replacement item for this wallet. The red is just gorgeous!

I contacted Saks again. I'm hoping for an uncomplicated resolution. I'll update.

Thank you!

Happy New Year!

Reactions: papertiger
I can understand why you are reluctant to return the wallet and repurchase, but in this case, it sounds like the best solution. Buy the wallet from another retailer so you're not supporting Saks anymore. I hope this doesn't take up too much more of your time so that you can start enjoying your lovely gift.

Hi! I just wanted to update.

I finally was able to contact the Gucci manager at my nearest Saks.

Saks isn't the easiest to reach, especially over the phone (main not store location) or online.

She was able to find me a replacement (even though it's sold out at Saks...it is still available directly from Gucci).

I'm hoping that it's in pristine condition. I'll pick it up as soon as my work schedule allows (hopefully in a day or two).

Thank you for all the help!

Yay!
So happy!

The Gucci manager I referenced earlier was lovely!
She was very customer-focused in how she dealt with my situation.
I found a new favorite Gucci SA in her. Yay!

She was very knowledgeable and helpful. She shared some great info with me regarding the other pieces I'm interested in.

She didn't rush me, either.

Hooray for her!

Yay!
So happy!

The Gucci manager I referenced earlier was lovely!
She was very customer-focused in how she dealt with my situation.
I found a new favorite Gucci SA in her. Yay!

She was very knowledgeable and helpful. She shared some great info with me regarding the other pieces I'm interested in.

She didn't rush me, either.

Hooray for her!

Great!

Really pleased for you

Reactions: BlackGrayRed