Saint Laurent YSL Niki Bag

Is there a difference between the new niki ysl bag and the older version?

Also, i'm torn between the medium and baby size. Baby size looks cute and handy especially on crossbody style but would it be too small for traveling? Cant fit water bottle after phone, wallet and all essentials.
I have medium and love it. I know I have to stop overstuffing it, but I just love how much it holds.

I have medium and love it. I know I have to stop overstuffing it, but I just love how much it holds.
In the new version, they put D-rings inside the bag that the chain threads through. It’s supposed to add support and reduce crumpling. Some people find it causes the chain to get twisted or not glide as easily through which was my experience when I tried both versions

Is there a difference between the new niki ysl bag and the older version?

Also, i'm torn between the medium and baby size. Baby size looks cute and handy especially on crossbody style but would it be too small for traveling? Cant fit water bottle after phone, wallet and all essentials.
In the new version, they put D-rings inside the bag that the chain threads through. It’s supposed to add support and reduce crumpling. Some people find it causes the chain to get twisted or not glide as easily through which was my experience when I tried both versions

Planning on purchasing a pre-loved Niki, but I'm getting caught up on making the final decision...would love any thoughts/guidance!

• Size: Medium vs large? I'm fairly petite - only 5'2" and about a size 0-2, but I also do like big bags. I initially thought medium because it seems to be the most popular size, but I'm second-guessing it since I do like big bags. I have a toddler and a part of me wonders if it's worth having some extra space to account for her things. Also, the dimensions of the mediums seem to be the same as the dimensions of the Mulberry Medium Lily, which I have two of, so maybe it makes more sense for me to get something different? But I also don't want something that going to be too big - as much as I do like big bags, I don't want to be overwhelmed by a bag.
  • Color: I know this is highly personal, but I'm torn between a red medium, black croc medium, and peacock blue large.
    • I really love the idea of a red everyday bag and have wanted one for years, but I'm also highly picky about shades of red and worry that it won't be quite right upon arrival (don't have an opportunity to see it in-person before hand and it's final sale if I get it). It looks good on screen, and I feel like I would most likely be happy with the color, but I'm not 100% sure...
    • There is a black lambskin croc with black hardware in a medium size that I'm also considering. I'm a huge sucker for black leather and black hardware, so I know I would love this one. I also don't have anything in croc print and have wanted something for ages, so I love the idea of black on black AND croc print. But I already have the medium Lou Lou in black leather and black hardware, and the medium Niki is a similar size so I'm not sure it makes sense to have two shoulder bags of a similar size, from the same designer even, both in black on black. I also worry about black hardware - as much as I adore it, I'm also always worried about it chipping, which is why my black on black Lou Lou tends to be more of a "sometimes" bag. (Although maybe I could get over it if I have two black on black bags - one for everyday and one for more occasional use? I really really do love black on black so so much!) Plus I also have a black Chanel jumbo..it's in gold hardware, not black, but it's yet another black shoulder bag. And I just have a fair number of black bags in general.
      • I also came across a black croc print in Nubuck and aged silver hardware. I'd still get the croc print that I have been itching for, and the silver hardware would alleviate any concerns I have about chipped black hardware. But I'm not sure how I feel about Nubuck. I mean, I really like it in general, and I'm a very textural person, so I do love the feel of Nubuck. But I'm not sure if it's appropriate for everyday, all weathers, and I'm not sure if I would feel weird carrying it in spring/summer since Nubuck has always felt like a fall/winter material to me.
    • Also considering a large in peacock blue. I think my hesitation here is with the size (again, do I go for medium or large?), and also not being able to see the color in-person before buying. From all the photos I've seen, I think I will love the color. It looks to be this kind of deep teal, bluish-green color that I love - totally up my ally! But also, if it leans too green in-person, I know it will not be love for me. I love blues and teals and blue-greens, but I'm not much of a true green gal and I worry that it may be too green-green for me in-person.
So, with all that in mind, what would you recommend I do? Not going to lie - a part of me is like, "get them all!" 🤣 But I'm really trying to commit to other financial goals this year, so that's not realistically in the cards for me right now, and in absence of the option of just getting it all, I'm just not sure what to do!
The medium size is plenty big to me - I am astonished how much it holds. I carried mine all over NYC and it help my hat, gloves, umbrella, 2 phones, external phone charger and other daily essentials. I have the black on black croc and it’s stunning and versatile… but the coated hardware chipped the first time I used it and this has almost completely turned me from YSL altogether because I was so disappointed in that. Among your options - I think the teal blue color sounds really intriguing because it’s something unique and you could wear it year round and it’s a nice pop of color that’s easy to match with any jewel tone or neutral. Reds I find are hard to match. Curious what you chose!

ARe the baby Niki in grained lambskin and gold logo a relatively new thing? Is there one like this but in black with a gold logo or only in silver?
' View attachment 6016557
Yes these are new for the Summer. There are four colors so far, none in gold hardware that I've seen are black but there's a "light musk" (see pic) that's kind of a mushroom gray that I think is also lovely. I'm really considering these because the wear and tear on the leather-covered logos of the older Nikis bother me... my Niki was about a week old when a corner of the hardware started peeling.
1718880392514.png

Reactions: LJChicago
Hi Everyone! My first post here and its amazing to see so many exchanges of information ! Love this community! I bought a medium grey Nikki recently. It;s been less than a month and the YSL logo has peeled, to my horror. I have used it for less than 10 times and i was not rough with it. I contacted YSL and they offered me a repair but the downtime is 4 months ! i saw a few posts in this forum and it seems that this is a common issue if the logo is not the gold or metal hardware. Anyone has similar experiences and what was your solution ? Thank you !

Hi Everyone! My first post here and its amazing to see so many exchanges of information ! Love this community! I bought a medium grey Nikki recently. It;s been less than a month and the YSL logo has peeled, to my horror. I have used it for less than 10 times and i was not rough with it. I contacted YSL and they offered me a repair but the downtime is 4 months ! i saw a few posts in this forum and it seems that this is a common issue if the logo is not the gold or metal hardware. Anyone has similar experiences and what was your solution ? Thank you !
Could you take pictures of it? Thanks! I had mine 3 years old still look new no peeling, wondering if leather type made difference.