Saint laurent carre bag

Ashpera786

Aug 27, 2019
Ok I’m little obsessed with Celine triomphe bag and box bag . I think they have this classic look but I was in Nordstrom and they had pop up shop and I get to try on these two triomphe bags in burgundy and green . Smooth leather . Just absolute Luxurious look . I was wearing pink polka dot dress and both looked shockingly classy. Perfect crossbody bags hits you in right place and has the right measurements and Celine might have nailed the whole look! I love crossbody bags because freedom it gives you . I can still hold my kids hands but carry all I need in fashionable way.

What is this have to do with ysl you May ask so why I was thinking obsessively about that encounter and how hot it was I was stalking ysl bags and came across carre bag by saint laurent .

Ok let’s get the shocking details out there ; measurements of medium box bag by Celine are 9x7x3 inches and saint laurent carre bag are 9x6.9x2.5

Both luxurious calfskin . Carre currently is in this color brick color ( perfect brown / beige shade) and green.

It has this unique brass flip lock and engraved saint laurent writing on the hardware . Unlike Celine there is subtle brand power . Celine’s bags don’t really have names visible anywhere and to me that’s little too subtle . Especially if you are paying so much . Call me basic b and I’ll embrace that . I need little branding and little bragging .

So here is few photos . Oh also box bag costs $4400 and saint laurent bag $1890 .

Please tell me what you think ?

Attachments

• 4620A077-A515-4197-A430-F3013AEBCA33.jpeg
    4620A077-A515-4197-A430-F3013AEBCA33.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 423
  • 9D3A5400-3A23-476C-A7D5-FA11067D13D1.jpeg
    9D3A5400-3A23-476C-A7D5-FA11067D13D1.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 425
  • 4E4220DB-D755-4CCA-B0B9-66033E17D5FC.jpeg
    4E4220DB-D755-4CCA-B0B9-66033E17D5FC.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 424
  • 198EE20C-1A1F-480A-99E5-5FE65FC0B875.jpeg
    198EE20C-1A1F-480A-99E5-5FE65FC0B875.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 434
Ok I’m little obsessed with Celine triomphe bag and box bag . I think they have this classic look but I was in Nordstrom and they had pop up shop and I get to try on these two triomphe bags in burgundy and green . Smooth leather . Just absolute Luxurious look . I was wearing pink polka dot dress and both looked shockingly classy. Perfect crossbody bags hits you in right place and has the right measurements and Celine might have nailed the whole look! I love crossbody bags because freedom it gives you . I can still hold my kids hands but carry all I need in fashionable way.

What is this have to do with ysl you May ask so why I was thinking obsessively about that encounter and how hot it was I was stalking ysl bags and came across carre bag by saint laurent .

Ok let’s get the shocking details out there ; measurements of medium box bag by Celine are 9x7x3 inches and saint laurent carre bag are 9x6.9x2.5

Both luxurious calfskin . Carre currently is in this color brick color ( perfect brown / beige shade) and green.

It has this unique brass flip lock and engraved saint laurent writing on the hardware . Unlike Celine there is subtle brand power . Celine’s bags don’t really have names visible anywhere and to me that’s little too subtle . Especially if you are paying so much . Call me basic b and I’ll embrace that . I need little branding and little bragging .

So here is few photos . Oh also box bag costs $4400 and saint laurent bag $1890 .

Please tell me what you think ?
I am like you as well. I need a little branding on my bags too as that sets it apart from all the other generic copies out there.
I really like the box bag, but I think the quality and materials on the box bag have gone down hill since the creative director of Celine changed from Phoebe Philo to Hedi Slimane. If you were to get the box bag perhaps you might want to consider getting one preloved with the old Celine logo?

I can’t imagine spending retail price for the new Celine box bags.

I think the Saint Laurent Carre has a very similar vibe as the Celine Box Bag. Except it’s much newer, has the metal logo and is much better priced. I haven’t tried on the Saint Laurent one yet so I can’t comment on the quality of the leather but it’s definitely a good competitor looks wise with the Box bag.

I would get the Saint Laurent Carre, it feels more youthful and edgier.

Attachments

• D624EBA5-BA1E-4393-8A55-5718C8D32694.jpeg
    D624EBA5-BA1E-4393-8A55-5718C8D32694.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 422
  • 2611C74C-A8B9-449A-87BC-E7FC2C085DDF.jpeg
    2611C74C-A8B9-449A-87BC-E7FC2C085DDF.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 427
  • B3D216D4-E92D-47BE-95D1-2F213C60C4DC.jpeg
    B3D216D4-E92D-47BE-95D1-2F213C60C4DC.jpeg
    708.3 KB · Views: 434
I am like you as well. I need a little branding on my bags too as that sets it apart from all the other generic copies out there.
I really like the box bag, but I think the quality and materials on the box bag have gone down hill since the creative director of Celine changed from Phoebe Philo to Hedi Slimane. If you were to get the box bag perhaps you might want to consider getting one preloved with the old Celine logo?

I can’t imagine spending retail price for the new Celine box bags.

I think the Saint Laurent Carre has a very similar vibe as the Celine Box Bag. Except it’s much newer, has the metal logo and is much better priced. I haven’t tried on the Saint Laurent one yet so I can’t comment on the quality of the leather but it’s definitely a good competitor looks wise with the Box bag.

I would get the Saint Laurent Carre, it feels more youthful and edgier.

Ok so I have some Nordstrom credit piled up and my local Nordstrom carries Celine . They had in burgundy and this light beige color.

I love the style very very much and I like that you can go anywhere with it and not instantly be walking logo . I got Cassandra and returned it because opening even thou unique , very fussy as day bag . It takes a practice to be able to close it. Also not very roomy and it’s not ideal as crossbody because it has the handle . Ysl Vicky seemed cool too but it’s just appealing for now . From year from now it’s going to look cheesy. Than I was impressed by quality of Valentino v sling bags but they are very thick sitting on your hip or waist . It’s great for shoulder bag. Logo is cool because it’s mono ( black on black) but than again I like a bag that shines. Huge fan of brass or gold hardware. Everything else I looked at doesn’t excite me at all. Only bag I’m wishing to have is pretty much Celine . That I feel like I will not be bored after a year or I was hanging some of my clothes and Celine bag seemed like perfect with all of them.

Also new director at Celine might mean that Celine box bags might be wiped out/ taken out of shelves . If you are a owner of a classic that might be very good( not that I will ever sell any of my bags) I just don’t know the direction they’re going but I just can’t seem to stop thinking about it .

Saint laurent carre is a very nice option but it’s not going to be this classic bag . The inside is just flat and doesn’t open like accordion with pockets . Capacity is very limited but because of its dimensions I’m pretty sure it’s going to look as crossbody .

I don’t know I might just bite the bullet and go for it . I just heard so much that it’s ridiculous to pay that much money on a bag that doesn’t have logo announced everywhere and I used to agree. Until I tried one on . Quality , color, hardware and so on . Everything was pretty perfect

Ok so I have some Nordstrom credit piled up and my local Nordstrom carries Celine . They had in burgundy and this light beige color.

I love the style very very much and I like that you can go anywhere with it and not instantly be walking logo . I got Cassandra and returned it because opening even thou unique , very fussy as day bag . It takes a practice to be able to close it. Also not very roomy and it’s not ideal as crossbody because it has the handle . Ysl Vicky seemed cool too but it’s just appealing for now . From year from now it’s going to look cheesy. Than I was impressed by quality of Valentino v sling bags but they are very thick sitting on your hip or waist . It’s great for shoulder bag. Logo is cool because it’s mono ( black on black) but than again I like a bag that shines. Huge fan of brass or gold hardware. Everything else I looked at doesn’t excite me at all. Only bag I’m wishing to have is pretty much Celine . That I feel like I will not be bored after a year or I was hanging some of my clothes and Celine bag seemed like perfect with all of them.

Also new director at Celine might mean that Celine box bags might be wiped out/ taken out of shelves . If you are a owner of a classic that might be very good( not that I will ever sell any of my bags) I just don’t know the direction they’re going but I just can’t seem to stop thinking about it .

Saint laurent carre is a very nice option but it’s not going to be this classic bag . The inside is just flat and doesn’t open like accordion with pockets . Capacity is very limited but because of its dimensions I’m pretty sure it’s going to look as crossbody .

I don’t know I might just bite the bullet and go for it . I just heard so much that it’s ridiculous to pay that much money on a bag that doesn’t have logo announced everywhere and I used to agree. Until I tried one on . Quality , color, hardware and so on . Everything was pretty perfect
If you’ve liked the Celine Box bag for years you should buy it, many people love the classic box bag. If it’s what you really want don’t think about the price :smile:

Ok so I called saint laurent store because I’m obsessed with Celine box bag but when I can get two bags for the price of one .
Drum roll . They sent me real life photos !!!! Omg
So here it goes

Attachments

• 90BDCA15-2697-4AD8-84DE-663725F5AB10.jpeg
    90BDCA15-2697-4AD8-84DE-663725F5AB10.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 498
  • C822630D-E9B0-43BB-AD44-4CF1B6C2824D.jpeg
    C822630D-E9B0-43BB-AD44-4CF1B6C2824D.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 501
  • 740CCBFD-5918-4FAC-8482-6D80F0260D79.jpeg
    740CCBFD-5918-4FAC-8482-6D80F0260D79.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 489
Reactions: Barrsik
Ok so I called saint laurent store because I’m obsessed with Celine box bag but when I can get two bags for the price of one .
Drum roll . They sent me real life photos !!!! Omg
So here it goes
Thanks for sharing the real life pictures. It does look very chic. Have you decided which bag you’re going to get? Celine Box or Saint Laurent Carre?

Thanks for sharing the real life pictures. It does look very chic. Have you decided which bag you’re going to get? Celine Box or Saint Laurent Carre?

Ok so I finally got the bag today and it’s very unexpected . It’s not saint laurent or Celine.

I ordered v sling bag in medium and when it came I was very disappointed. It was smooth leather and already had scratches on it like it’s been floor model or something. ( Nordstrom purchase btw)
So I drove to the local store to exchange it with Valentino v ring in black pebbled leather and I have to say . Out of all the bags I felt it’s the best quality , aesthetic . In person it just looks so beautiful. Also I can have full size wallet , all my essentials and fits some . You can remove the chain and it’s like this oversized hand bag and I'm tall and it looks amazing, most bags look awkward on me. Pebbled leather is great because I don’t have to worry about scratches . I’m really happy and Excited about this bag finally!!

When I was there I also looked at Celine bag one more time ( box) and honestly it’s didn’t seem all that. It was incredibly small compare to most bags. Maybe in the future I’ll revisit Celine but for now I don’t have burning desire to own that bag.

I have to agree about carre bag , it looks okay but for the same price there is better bags out there. $100 more there is a Prada crossbody bag with the new logo. Smaller measurements but I feel like leather looks shiny and pretty. Who doesn’t like devil wears Prada ? lol

@Ashpera786 I’m glad you’re happy with the Valentino - sounds gorgeous!

For others looking at this classic style, I agree the Celine box and new triomphe are absolutely gorgeous. But I used to own a vintage one, the older model that the triomphe is based on, and I found the accordion style totally useless if you actually want to use the bag to carry anything instead of just looking good. Problematic in fact. The box leather is so thick and solid so the front and back non-gusseted compartments could only accommodate things completely flat. I’m taking cash bills only, not even a thin phone. Anything with any depth at all made them puff out, making the clasp hard to close and the side profile look ridiculous. And they took up valuable space so the middle compartment was actually smaller than it looked. The bag has absolutely no give.

For this reason, I would definitely go with the YSL Carre if looking at this style, or something with a divider in the middle where each section is gusseted. The types of slots where two pieces of leather are simply sewn together like a slip pocket are utterly useless.

Reactions: Ashpera786
@Ashpera786 I’m glad you’re happy with the Valentino - sounds gorgeous!

For others looking at this classic style, I agree the Celine box and new triomphe are absolutely gorgeous. But I used to own a vintage one, the older model that the triomphe is based on, and I found the accordion style totally useless if you actually want to use the bag to carry anything instead of just looking good. Problematic in fact. The box leather is so thick and solid so the front and back non-gusseted compartments could only accommodate things completely flat. I’m taking cash bills only, not even a thin phone. Anything with any depth at all made them puff out, making the clasp hard to close and the side profile look ridiculous. And they took up valuable space so the middle compartment was actually smaller than it looked. The bag has absolutely no give.

For this reason, I would definitely go with the YSL Carre if looking at this style, or something with a divider in the middle where each section is gusseted. The types of slots where two pieces of leather are simply sewn together like a slip pocket are utterly useless.
Thank you for feedback on that bag. There is only few reviews and many are useless . I like bags that are structured and perform well. I like the look of the both triomphe and classic Celine but I can’t use it daily because it will scratch and it really limits what you can put in there but regardless it’s a beauty !

I actually returned vring bag and got saint laurent Cassandra satchel and so far I’m really happy with it . It’s very roomy and pebbled leather so you can’t scratch it or doesn’t show.

I couldn’t put Vring by Valentino I’m table , only option to wear was shoulder and I couldn’t put anything in the bag because middle part has no bottom . It’s basically soft unstructured bag. I can see only few months of use it’ll be sagging. Also I don’t know why it had a older vibe , not in a good way. It wasn’t elevating my outfits

Thank you for feedback on that bag. There is only few reviews and many are useless . I like bags that are structured and perform well. I like the look of the both triomphe and classic Celine but I can’t use it daily because it will scratch and it really limits what you can put in there but regardless it’s a beauty !

I actually returned vring bag and got saint laurent Cassandra satchel and so far I’m really happy with it . It’s very roomy and pebbled leather so you can’t scratch it or doesn’t show.

I couldn’t put Vring by Valentino I’m table , only option to wear was shoulder and I couldn’t put anything in the bag because middle part has no bottom . It’s basically soft unstructured bag. I can see only few months of use it’ll be sagging. Also I don’t know why it had a older vibe , not in a good way. It wasn’t elevating my outfits

Oh, so you went back to the Cassandra? When you say “satchel”, do you mean with or without the top handle? Either way, I think the Cassandra is stunning! As you mentioned earlier, the clasp may be a bit fiddly but I’m sure it gets easier with practice. Enjoy!

Yes it has the top handle . Here is a picture of it.
I can fit full size wallet , my sunglasses with case , my lip gloss , small perfume . My large size phone fits into a slot it has in the back . Looks great handheld , crossbody , shoulder .

I am still worried about the opening mechanism but what I do when I’m with the kids and I have to go into my purse time after time I just leave it open and still looks great. Grainy leather is like channel cavier leather. You can’t really scratch it or it doesn’t show . It’s not digging into my chest or shoulder when I wear it because it has no chains . Goes with almost all outfits . I’m definitely keeping this one !

Attachments

• 289DB231-0CFB-4C73-92FE-7F98EECEC911.jpeg
    289DB231-0CFB-4C73-92FE-7F98EECEC911.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 352
Reactions: Dresd-en and foxgal
Hello Baglovers,

surprisingly the SL Carré Bag doesn’t get much attention or am I wrong?

I always loved the Celine Box but the price is ridiculous high and I didn’t like the accordion style. The SL Carré caught my attention already in October but unfortunately I wasn’t able to get my hands on it.

Now - as sale season starts - maybe it is worth looking for a discount.
What are your thoughts about quality, design and longevity?

The brick color looks lovely on pictures. Anybody who had seen this bag in real life: is it a very dominant reddish brown? Or more subtle and classic?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Reactions: doni
I looked at the SL carree the same day I got my Celine classic (which is not box but natural leather).
It is a perfectly nice bag. I was not blown away by it, it is maybe lacking a bit of personality but there is nothing wrong with it and looks very sleek. The price difference with the Celine classic is very significant, and the look and box-type leather very similar. If it goes on sale, and SL often does, I think it'd be a very good deal.

Reactions: EmmaPeel
Thanks for your reply.

Right after posting here I noticed an pre sale invitation in my email account offering 30% on F/W collection.
Guess what? The SL Carré was included and I snatched the last piece.

After arrival I will share pics first impressions.

Reactions: doni