Said I don't ship to Canada, buyer bid anyway?

Bcabo

Jan 27, 2011
I have a bag for sale on eBay. I'm not any kind of dealer or anything like that. I occasionally sell my nicer items when I'm not using them anymore. I have it clearly posted on the listing that I only ship within the US.

A buyer messaged me and asked if I would ship to Canada. I replied immediately that no, I'm sorry but I don't. About an hour later, the buyer then proceeded to place a bid anyway!

The auction isn't over yet, but if she wins am I obligated to ship it to her in Canada? How do I adjust for the shipping cost? I listed a rate in the listing that I know is not going to cover the cost of getting it to Canada.

cancel her bid and go into your seller preferences and block the countries you don't want to ship to. Just putting a statement in the body of your listing isn't enough.

You need to go into your "my ebay" and set your buyer preferences to exclude countries you don't ship to. (I'm not sure whether it'll let you do it once there's a bid, but you can cancel her bid.)

Site preferences > Shipping preferences -- edit the countries you don't want to ship to.

Then go to:
Buyer requirements (click show) > Block buyers whose primary shipping address is in a location I don't ship to.

She may have a contact in the US who is willing to have the bag shipped to them. No need for everyone to jump to conclusions. Why don't you just message her again and ask?

She may have a contact in the US who is willing to have the bag shipped to them. No need for everyone to jump to conclusions. Why don't you just message her again and ask?

Because the seller has to ship to the buyers confirmed address to be eligible for seller protection. While it may be that this particular buyer does have a confirmed US address, there is just too much going on already with this sale for many sellers to be comfortable continuing. The buyer already asked and was specifically told that the seller doesn't want to ship to Canada. They could have explained their situation adequately then but they chose not to. Instead they chose to go against the seller's express wishes and bid anyway.

Last edited:
I just had one from (insert who knows where) buy something and use a shipping service. I hate that too because I think it might be going to Russia or somewhere else where there are scammers in customs.

Because the seller has to ship to the buyers confirmed address to be eligible for seller protection. While it may be that this particular buyer does have a confirmed US address, there is just too much going on already with this sale for many sellers to be comfortable continuing. The buyer already asked and was specifically told that the seller doesn't want to ship to Canada. They could have explained their situation adequately then but they chose not to. Instead they chose to go against the seller's express wishes and bid anyway.

Agree... If a seller doesn't want to ship to a specific country
in this Canada, and the buyer has no regard for what the seller
expressly has communicated, her bid needs to be cancelled & buyer
needs to be blocked.

If the circumstances are different, buyer needs to explain herself &
let the seller make the decision.

Common courtesy...

This has been brought up here several times before, I'm Canadian and I have a confirmed PayPal address, I live 10 minutes from the USA border so I ship everything there. Also there are several companies throughout the USA that offer forwarding services to Canada, really you want your buyer to use one of these and they lose all of there seller protection if they use one ie you get to sell your bag and have ZERO worries of her being able to claim anything against you. It may be a really good buyer for you

This has been brought up here several times before, I'm Canadian and I have a confirmed PayPal address, I live 10 minutes from the USA border so I ship everything there. Also there are several companies throughout the USA that offer forwarding services to Canada, really you want your buyer to use one of these and they lose all of there seller protection if they use one ie you get to sell your bag and have ZERO worries of her being able to claim anything against you. It may be a really good buyer for you
Agreed! Americans are losing out when they say they won't ship to Canada (and why wouldn't they)...we (the buyer) are paying the shipping costs. Doesn't make sense to me!

Agreed! Americans are losing out when they say they won't ship to Canada (and why wouldn't they)...we (the buyer) are paying the shipping costs. Doesn't make sense to me!

While I DO ship to Canada, I have to say that this buyer is sending up red flags by going against OP's wishes. There are other sellers who he or she could have bought from. Instead, this buyer chose to go ahead and make trouble for OP by bidding anyway. Not cool!

I know this thread is a few months old but...
I've been blocked from buying from certain sellers because I was in Canada - I couldn't even bid on the auction. However, there was an Item I really wanted (and it was Tods!!!). I have a mailing address - a package receiving company in WA State - in the States and I just went into my PayPal account and changed the address to my US address. Voila! I'm not advocating people do anything illegal or something that goes against eBay/PayPal rules, but IIRC, I think I logged onto the eBay.COM site instead of the .CA site and that might have been what allowed me to bid.
Regardless, I think I may have paid for the item within 20 minutes of winning it. I received it a few days later.
I can understand why some sellers won't ship to Canada. Maybe it's the hassle of the extra time to ship and choose the proper methods? Maybe they are concerned about being scammed across an international boundary? I'm not sure.
I think if a seller (who doesn't want to ship to Canada) is ever concerned that someone has bid on their item, really, all it takes is a quick email to ask them what's the what. They may have a package forwarding company, they may have a friend or relative receive the item for them. I think something that a lot of Americans don't realize (and it's really ridiculous), is that there are still many many retailers that either do not ship to Canada, or they don't even accept a Canadian-issued credit card so we can shop on their site. Believe it or not, even Cole-Haan will not accept online orders from Canada, even if we're having the item shipped 5 miles from their warehouse.
I mean seriously people, it's Canada - it's not frickkin' Jupiter.

I don't ship to Canada because PayPal holds my money hostage until the item is delivered. I refuse to wait 2+ weeks for my money to be released by PayPal. Until they give me the privilege to deposit the funds whenever I want, I'll accept Canada shipments again.

And also, I don't ship certain designer handbags (like Coach) internationally, as I rather avoid the "omgz, it's fake!" nonsense and run into the risk of Customs destroying my bag. I already read too many horror stories here from sellers who sent LV bags internationally, so I'm not going to risk it.

So yeah, sorry about that.

I don't ship to Canada because PayPal holds my money hostage until the item is delivered. I refuse to wait 2+ weeks for my money to be released by PayPal. Until they give me the privilege to deposit the funds whenever I want, I'll accept Canada shipments again.

And also, I don't ship certain designer handbags (like Coach) internationally, as I rather avoid the "omgz, it's fake!" nonsense and run into the risk of Customs destroying my bag. I already read too many horror stories here from sellers who sent LV bags internationally, so I'm not going to risk it.

So yeah, sorry about that.
Oh, that's good to know. I had no idea they did this. I'm glad you pointed that out because it makes perfect sense then.
I'm not a seller so is this true for all shipments? You receive your funds (or a hold is taken off) once the item is received by the buyer?
Shipping to Canada is unbelievably slow so I can see where this would be a problem.

Not all sellers have their funds held up. I think it depends on when they started selling. My older IDs don't have a hold while my newer ones do.