Saffiano Super Fakes-Buyer Beware

Having been actively authenticating around here for entirely too long, I've seen a lot of changes in the world of counterfeit Prada bags. The latest misery for anyone that takes authenticating seriously has become the Saffiano Super Fake. Make no mistake about this, boys and girls, Super Fakes are incredibly difficult to spot. Myself and the other Prada authentication gals have seen our share of "authentic" Super Fakes on not only eBay, but also on historically trustworthy consignment sites. Most of the consignment shops have no clue they are selling counterfeit because unless you literally spend days evaluating details, a Super Fake is hard to spot.

I wanted to do this post to urge any of you "Desperately Seeking Saffianos" to shop with extreme caution. The only completely reliable source of authentic bags will always be a Prada boutique. Yes, you'll pay more but you know what you're getting. Even Prada boutiques are at risk for the old bait & switch game as long as they accept returns from customers. Insist on getting a newly boxed saffiano, don't settle for one that's been returned even if it's 75% off.

And a special note to the bottom feeding sleezoid counterfeiters that come to tPF for schooling in making a better fake: WE'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER!
Thanks for your info, and it's really sad to hear this :sad:

Thanks so much for sharing this info, Prada Psycho.
Wish I had read this before I bought mine..now I'm just so confused if mine is a fake...

If you're talking about the cammeo you posted on the Authenticate This thread, no worries. It's absolutely authentic and I don't say "absolutely" about these saffiano bags very often.

I'm thinking about buying another saffiano tote, are you suggesting that I should buy it from the prada boutique rather than the department store such as bergdorf goodman? We don't have a boutique here. Should I just buy it from the prada website?

I'm thinking about buying another saffiano tote, are you suggesting that I should buy it from the prada boutique rather than the department store such as bergdorf goodman? We don't have a boutique here. Should I just buy it from the prada website?

IMHO, if you've got the money, buy directly from Prada. Then there are zero worries.

Having been actively authenticating around here for entirely too long, I've seen a lot of changes in the world of counterfeit Prada bags. The latest misery for anyone that takes authenticating seriously has become the Saffiano Super Fake. Make no mistake about this, boys and girls, Super Fakes are incredibly difficult to spot. Myself and the other Prada authentication gals have seen our share of "authentic" Super Fakes on not only eBay, but also on historically trustworthy consignment sites. Most of the consignment shops have no clue they are selling counterfeit because unless you literally spend days evaluating details, a Super Fake is hard to spot.

I wanted to do this post to urge any of you "Desperately Seeking Saffianos" to shop with extreme caution. The only completely reliable source of authentic bags will always be a Prada boutique. Yes, you'll pay more but you know what you're getting. Even Prada boutiques are at risk for the old bait & switch game as long as they accept returns from customers. Insist on getting a newly boxed saffiano, don't settle for one that's been returned even if it's 75% off.

And a special note to the bottom feeding sleezoid counterfeiters that come to tPF for schooling in making a better fake: WE'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER!

Hi Prada Psycho,

I am so sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm really concerned about a Saffiano Tote that I purchased via mail from a Prada at Holts. I don't believe it was unopened and untouched because the strap packaging was half open when I received it and I wasn't too worried until I read about bait and switch with returns and also my bag has a zipper that sticks and someone commented that it must be fake then...I posted pics of it in the authenticate thread (and can post more if need be) but I haven't had a response and I completely respect that it could take ages to authenticate, but is there any advice you can please offer me? Should I get it professionally authenticated? Or should I not worry because it was purchased from a reputable authorized seller? I really respect your depth of knowledge with Prada and sincerely appreciate any advice you can offer me. Please, I'm not asking for any specifics if that will take too long but rather just some guidance on how I should proceed. Thank you so much!

I am no expert but I was at the Prada store at Yorkdale mall and my friend and I each bought a double zip bag. The sales associate was kind enough to bring out all 5 bags from the storage room and there were some where the zipper did stick. She told us it will loosen with use but regardless, we picked 2 bags where the zipper was easier to open. Therefore I am not sure necessarily that a stuck zipper means it's a fake.

During a trip to China with my daughter last year, I saw the most unbelievably "authentic" looking Prada fakes. I think I'm quite a savvy Prada customer I've bought at least 7 bags direct from the Prada store and numerous SLGS. These bags we saw in the market in Beijing were spot on! In some instances the only thing missing from the Prada bag was the Prada logo which they would apply in 5 minutes if you wanted. (I guess placing the bags on the shelf without the logo prevents them from getting arrested). In Hong Kong they took us upstairs in a small apartment to show us 'authentic' Hermes. I know, my curiousity will kill me! If I'm ever giving my 22 yo daughter advice on safe travel, she has asked whether following strangers up windy, dark stairs to a small apartment in a foreign country would apply. Touché! I didn't buy any of these bags, but now it sadly makes me second-guess all the bags I see during the course of my day and that's even more so why I'd only buy from the actual retailer or a reputable department store, it's more expensive but I believe most of these luxury bags will last a lifetime and will be handed down. Who wants to hand down or gift their niece a fake?

Only here has JC lost favor. They are still selling out of most of the bags. The superfakes I have seen were deemed authentic by two well know authenticators!

I remember these bags and that case.. Both you and I were shocked by these bags…
Those were GOOD…
I was shocked at how much of the detail they had right…. :sad: