Safe to pay for UK auction w/CC?

Twinklette

Over*the*Rainbow
Feb 22, 2006
I won a significant item on ebay from the UK and the seller has 20 feedback...she is accepting paypal and I'm going to use my AMEX card to pay the balance in full. Am I protected if I use my AMEX if the deal goes bad, say I never get the purse or it isn't as described?

Also, how do you figure out the customs cost I'd be responsible for? She mentioned using Parcel Force as the carrier. Is this the best way?

thanks for any help!

If she chooses to list it as a gift, it is my understanding that you are fine. You are not the one sending it and marking it as a gift, she is. I've received a CC bag from Japan marked as a gift and never heard another thing about it. I didn't even request that the seller mark it that way. Apparently, she marks everything she ships out of Japan as a gift. Your credit card is the best way to pay for any CC bag, as long as it offers fraud protection. The only customs charge I have had to pay was for the total paid for the bag and the shipping cost (this was from Italy), and came to about 10% of that total. Depending on which state you live in, it could be a bit more or a bit less, as this is considered state tax revenue.

Be careful if she's marking it as a gift - as you'll only be able to claim for the "gift value" if it goes missing. Yes it'll save you on customs at your end but if it's a genuine item, she should declare the FULL amount it's worth and send it insured for AT LEAST that amount.

[Sorry, I've just been scammed by someone on Ebay for £200 so am probably seeing all sellers as scam artists at the moment as my seller had only 24 feedbacks. Make sure you keep a copy of the original listing as if the seller removes it, you have NO WAY OF PROVING WHAT SHE SAID for your credit card company if she sends a fake].

Oh, Parcelforce sometimes gets called "Parcelfarce" as they are notorious at loosing things - they even managed to loose an occupied COFFIN once (or so I heard!!:wtf:). They did leave a package that was to be signed for on my step once. When I viewed the track and trace signature it was NOTHING LIKE my own...thing is, had it been stolen, the sender would have claimed it had been signed for so probably wouldn't have refunded. I was really :cursing: but they just claimed it was a "new driver". Thankfully I have trustworthy neighbours and it wasn't raining that day!!

Be careful if she's marking it as a gift - as you'll only be able to claim for the "gift value" if it goes missing. Yes it'll save you on customs at your end but if it's a genuine item, she should declare the FULL amount it's worth and send it insured for AT LEAST that amount.

[Sorry, I've just been scammed by someone on Ebay for £200 so am probably seeing all sellers as scam artists at the moment as my seller had only 24 feedbacks. Make sure you keep a copy of the original listing as if the seller removes it, you have NO WAY OF PROVING WHAT SHE SAID for your credit card company if she sends a fake].
I totally agree!!