saddle user, is it worth it?

oni2911

Dec 4, 2019
Hi everyone,

I am thinking of treating myself next month and getting the medium saddle bag in white grained leather. However, I am not quite sure if it is for me.

Pro: I like the unique shape and the cool girl vibe of it. I don’t stuff my bag so how much the saddle can carry won’t bother me so much. I usually only carry my card holder, keys, lipstick and occasional sun glasses (summer is short here in the Uk :sad: ) I also have loads of dark colour clothes so white would be a good choice and grained leather seems durable.Moreover, it can be dress up or down with a cute strap.

cons: i am worried about the weight of the bag and if it looks too bulky to be carried under arm. For your reference,I have a petite frame and I found medium lady dior a tad heavy. I would love to pair the bag with jeans, but white is probably not the best option in term of colour transfer :sad:

I considered the mini saddle before but its strap doesn’t seem to be long enough. To me it is more of a wallet on chain in term of size, and with that much money (£1950-£2150) I may as well get a chanel woc. Also they sold out mini saddle in white :sad:

00191E30-A1BD-445A-A8A9-9EE5E5B0816C.png

I have the fabric, oblique with the christian dior embroidered on it....it is a really easy bag to carry. I was worried and bought the strap when I bought the bag but honestly....I only use the extra strap for decoration and that is what makes the bag heavy as I have the strap with metal decorations on it. I really love the bag. I do wish I would have bought leather but only because I think the interior lining on the leather makes it look more lux.
IMG_4833 2.JPG

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of treating myself next month and getting the medium saddle bag in white grained leather. However, I am not quite sure if it is for me.

Pro: I like the unique shape and the cool girl vibe of it. I don’t stuff my bag so how much the saddle can carry won’t bother me so much. I usually only carry my card holder, keys, lipstick and occasional sun glasses (summer is short here in the Uk :sad: ) I also have loads of dark colour clothes so white would be a good choice and grained leather seems durable.Moreover, it can be dress up or down with a cute strap.

cons: i am worried about the weight of the bag and if it looks too bulky to be carried under arm. For your reference,I have a petite frame and I found medium lady dior a tad heavy. I would love to pair the bag with jeans, but white is probably not the best option in term of colour transfer :sad:

I considered the mini saddle before but its strap doesn’t seem to be long enough. To me it is more of a wallet on chain in term of size, and with that much money (£1950-£2150) I may as well get a chanel woc. Also they sold out mini saddle in white :sad:

View attachment 4896272
It's waaay better than a Chanel WOC in my opinion. It is definitely spotted on fewer people, too. The WOC is an SLG, while this Saddle is actually a handbag. As @thkred said, you can get a detachable strap, and now they sell a thinner version that has an adjustable length.

I own this exact bag and I love it!
Thrilled I got the white as I also always wear dark clothes so I love how it stands out.
I also got a strap, but it doesn't need one. I don't always use it. I love the look just held in hand or on the shoulder.
I also don't carry many things, so the size is perfect.
Get it! It's such a cool piece.

How do y'all feel about the opening? Feels very narrow to me but I similarly don't carry much more than the wallet/phone/keys/sunglasses.
And do you feel that the weight is distributed well- evenly?

Good advice about the strap. I am considering the ultra matte my abc as well, but would prefer a variety of straps. I don't think I can justify 2 bags, 2 straps at this time haha

Do the straps become available on TRR? I would consider that for a second hand purchase.

I love the style, especially that oblique with embroidery stripe @thkred has!!

How do y'all feel about the opening? Feels very narrow to me but I similarly don't carry much more than the wallet/phone/keys/sunglasses.
And do you feel that the weight is distributed well- evenly?

Good advice about the strap. I am considering the ultra matte my abc as well, but would prefer a variety of straps. I don't think I can justify 2 bags, 2 straps at this time haha

Do the straps become available on TRR? I would consider that for a second hand purchase.

I love the style, especially that oblique with embroidery stripe @thkred has!!
The opening being smaller than the flap helps the Saddle maintain it's structure to some extent. It isn't that much narrower than the flap, so I think it is fine.

I would get anything from TRR authenticated here before buying. There are a lot of fake Saddles and straps out there.

The opening being smaller than the flap helps the Saddle maintain it's structure to some extent. It isn't that much narrower than the flap, so I think it is fine.

I would get anything from TRR authenticated here before buying. There are a lot of fake Saddles and straps out there.
I also noticed there is such a marginal price difference, wouldn't be worth it to buy through TRR anyway! Thanks for your feedback!

Reactions: averagejoe
Absolutely yes worth it in my opinion! I have two saddle : the medium in oblique and the mini in leather green mint! I adore both ! I bought the guitar strap too and if I was hesitant now I know it was a good “investment” it’s my fav bag and I use the guitar strap for both ! You should buy ! I’m thinking to buy the third in black leather but I want wait now ... I bought the first medium in August and the mini in December ! I’m thinking about the price increase in the next week

It has to be one or the other- I really should not buy 2 bags at once, especially this price point!!
I do love them both but I have many small leather bags (that I use and switch out almost daily) and is it just me, or does the ultramatte leather feel "precious"? I love the look- but I think because it is sleek. I don't baby my bags, in fact, prefer some wear on them, but this one feels like I would want to keep it pristine and that may be more maintenance than I can commit to (coming from an exclusive caviar flap buyer, haha)

I decided to buy Dior bc I do not have any in my collection- it's been a wishlist item for a few years and the price increase got me motivated to buy. I intended to buy Chanel 19 in the caramel but we all know that ship has sailed and I don't anticipate that becoming available to me at this time. Rambling now but would love to hear thoughts here...

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpeg
    IMG_4842.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4843 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4843 (1).jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4844 (1).jpeg
    IMG_4844 (1).jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 118
It has to be one or the other- I really should not buy 2 bags at once, especially this price point!!
I do love them both but I have many small leather bags (that I use and switch out almost daily) and is it just me, or does the ultramatte leather feel "precious"? I love the look- but I think because it is sleek. I don't baby my bags, in fact, prefer some wear on them, but this one feels like I would want to keep it pristine and that may be more maintenance than I can commit to (coming from an exclusive caviar flap buyer, haha)

I decided to buy Dior bc I do not have any in my collection- it's been a wishlist item for a few years and the price increase got me motivated to buy. I intended to buy Chanel 19 in the caramel but we all know that ship has sailed and I don't anticipate that becoming available to me at this time. Rambling now but would love to hear thoughts here...

If you get a saddle I‘d suggest you get the medium, it‘s just way more functional. I love the ultramatte too, I actually wanted the white ultramatte, but that one was too fragile for me (and I have no issues with chanel lambskin). I think if you get in in a darker shade you should be fine tho :smile:)

I have the medium saddle bag in grained black calfskin. It's really beautiful and I like that you don't see it on as many people (or at least I don't), plus it tends to get a lot of compliments.

What I would tell anyone considering getting a saddle is to really think about how you plan to use it. For me at least, I've found it kind of impractical. You might argue that that's obvious based on the size and shape, but I kind of got seduced by the fact that the leather feels pretty sturdy and black goes with so much. Since I normally carry a tote everyday for work, I thought it also might be useful for evenings/weekends/etc. to help me break some of my packrat tendencies. The last time I wore it was to go shopping, and it ended up being a tremendous pain every time I had to get into it to get my credit card or put my phone away or get some hand sanitizer. Even with just my phone (an iPhone XS Max), a card case, hand sanitizer, and my keys, the shape made it a little more difficult to keep everything organized.

I agree that it's probably going to work best for someone who really carries only the basics most of the time. I don't really like the look of the straps that are sold separately, so I just carry it by itself on my shoulder and this has worked fine--it's nice that it's pretty compact. If you are looking for something sleek and you don't necessarily need to be getting in and out of your bag all the time, I think it could be a good choice. And I do feel that if you get it in the grained calfskin it should wear pretty well. I think I'll keep mine for the time being at least just because it's too pretty to sell (and since the price increase, more expensive to repurchase if I change my mind!), but it hasn't turned out to be quite the weekend workhorse I thought it would be.

Hi,

I completely agree with everything in the post above. I owned a Saddle bag for 1 week before I sold it. I had the black medium Saddle in grained calfskin leather and gold hardware. In terms of design and looks it’s absolutely gorgeous. I sold it because I thought it was fiddly to wear. The flap and the strap collide when you open the bag and makes it fussy to get to your stuff/take things in and out. I felt like I had to bend the flap under the strap and then backwards in order to get to the inside of the bag. I was a bit scared that with time the flap would be bent out of shape or the glazing would start softening on the sides after being bent over and over. In my opinion the bag itself holds and ok amount of things, but you have to put your things into the bag with some care to fit it all so it is a bit of a Tetris game. I also found it slightly awkward to carry with a longer shoulder strap.

That said I think it’s absolutely gorgeous. Everything about it felt very solid and well made, but it wasn’t heavy. The grained leather did very well with absolutely no damage after I got stuck in the rain with it. And the magnetic closure is brilliant. To me it was unfortunately mainly pretty to look at, but a pain to use. I thought it was too expensive for something that I would have used occasionally or just enjoyed looking at. I also lead a very casual life and the bag was a little too “fashionista”for me.

This is just my experience with it, but the most important thing is that you buy what you love.

Last edited:
I don't own a saddle but my friend bought one and she did not like wearing it because it was too small and it barely fit her phone and money. (maybe a larger size would fix that problem?) I would say the some of the saddle bags look nice though.

Reactions: Prettyinpnknwht