Saddle and Hazelnut?

Susan says...

Mar 22, 2008
I am wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the colors Saddle and Hazelnut, also, if anyone has pictures that would really help. I know one is soft, and the other more structured, and close in color. I would love opinions between the two. TIA!

Hazelnut is thick, glazed and structured. Saddle is soft and smooshy. I don't have a picture of my hazelnut mab, I sold it almost as soon as I got it but my saddle mab is in my signature. If you want a structured bag then hazelnut is the way to go but if you want a more casual, slouchy bag than saddle is what you want. They both are beautiful bags! Oh, and my hazelnut mab had new hardware and no tassels while my saddle mab has old hardware and tassels.

The Nikki in Saddle was my first RM, though I no longer have it. It is very supple and seems to have less structure than Hazelnut. I've never seen Hazelnut IRL, but I believe it is darker than Saddle.

I have a Hazelnut MAB, and from what I've seen in pics, the Saddle looks much lighter - sort of an almost mauvish-taupish-brown, definitely on the light brown side. I'm not partial to the color myself, but the leather looks TDF - soft and buttery and supple. It also, in every pic I've seen, has the old hardware and the tassels.

The Hazelnut *was* fairly structured when I got it, but softened up incredibly over a week and now puddles when I set her down. The leather looks fantastic, and the color is the perfect caramelly brown I was looking for (and looks gorgeous with the new hardware IMO), BUT I have to say that if you're looking for a strokable, buttery leather, this isn't it. It *LOOKS* like great leather - a slight pebble, thick, glazed and rich - and is probably more durable due to that glaze (I never worry about stains, and she got soaked through untreated in a sudden rainstorm and looked totally normal after drying), but it's not the kind of leather you spend time stroking and fawning over - the glaze just makes it not that buttery to the touch. I just rubbed it between my fingers, and actually it feels a bit plasticky, though doesn't look it at all - it LOOKS like rich, luscious leather.

So, it depends on what you're looking for :smile:

Thanks tlloveshim! Your saddle mab is the far right one? Do you remember, is hazelnut darker?

YW! The saddle is the 2nd one from the left. Hazelnut isn't necessarily what I'd call darker, it's a different color entirely. Hazelnut is more of a caramel color while I would say that saddle is a maybe a light or washed out chocolate color. I had a chocolate matinee that was sort of like the saddle color IMHO. I have heard some call the chocolate matinee stonewashed which makes sense since it's a kind of washed out color. I think saddle isn't really the right name for the color.

So, here's my .02 in a nut shell:
Hazelnut:
1) glazed, structured, textured leather
2) caramel color, yellow undertones
3) new hardware, no tassels
Saddle:
1) soft, smooth, smooshy, matte leather
2) light creamy brown, washed out chocolate-y color, no yellow undertones
3) old hardware, tassels

Hope all that helps!

I have hazelnut (which is tdf imho) and would just like to point out like cat9 that although it's more structured, it is definitely not a "stiff" leather. I've had mine for a few weeks and it puddles when I sit it down. It's not a buttery smooth leather, but I like that...makes me less worrisome about scratches and scuffs, etc.

Oh wow, Flipflopgal - your Hazelnut looks way more structured! Maybe it has more stuff inside/is newer than mine?

The first two photos are with my usual load of junk within (the bag's generally about half full), and the third is with the bag almost empty - in which case it puddles down entirely. Again, the leather's not soft to the touch, more of a slicker feel due to the glaze, but it's still supple enough to puddle.

And, Susan - you might want to keep a lookout on ebay for the "caramel" color, which is (if I remember correctly) a soft, supple, distressed, lighter version of hazelnut, with the old hardware and the tassels. I *think.* Someone correct me if I'm wrong :smile: but, just to throw this in, IMO the new hardware looks amaaazing with the Hazelnut. The combination is actually what got me into the MABs in the first place - the glinting gold complements the luscious caramel perfectly.

Hope you find something you love! :smile:

Attachments

• hazel1.JPG
    hazel1.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 115
  • hazel2.JPG
    hazel2.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 106
  • hazel3.JPG
    hazel3.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 104
Oh wow, Flipflopgal - your Hazelnut looks way more structured! Maybe it has more stuff inside/is newer than mine?

The first two photos are with my usual load of junk within (the bag's generally about half full), and the third is with the bag almost empty - in which case it puddles down entirely. Again, the leather's not soft to the touch, more of a slicker feel due to the glaze, but it's still supple enough to puddle.

And, Susan - you might want to keep a lookout on ebay for the "caramel" color, which is (if I remember correctly) a soft, supple, distressed, lighter version of hazelnut, with the old hardware and the tassels. I *think.* Someone correct me if I'm wrong :smile: but, just to throw this in, IMO the new hardware looks amaaazing with the Hazelnut. The combination is actually what got me into the MABs in the first place - the glinting gold complements the luscious caramel perfectly.

Hope you find something you love! :smile:
LOL, I sure did, otherwise it would have just been puddle on my sofa. I had to put a small blanket to stay in shape. lol

The hazelnut is so gorgeous! I love the color! Here's a bigger pic of saddle. The top picture is how it was when I got it. The bottom picture is what happened when I sprayed it to protect it. I was going to sell it but since I altered the color decided against it. Funny thing is that I actually like the altered color better! It's a MAB and still a bit big for me but since it's so slouchy I'm giving it a chance to see if I can get used to it. I just sort of felt weird selling it after I had changed the color of it by spraying it!! LOL! Anyway, I thought I'd post a larger pic of saddle to compare to hazelnut. I also posted a link to the database where you can look for other browns that you might like besides these two shades.

rebeccaminkoffmorningafterbagsad-5.jpg

rebeccaminkoffmorningafterbagsad-4.jpg

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn1/rmcrushes/MA unsure/