Custom Made to Order Bags

I think for a custom camera case, you will be looking at approx 2k and up. The sky's the limit actually for the pricing of the custom item, depending on the lining, material, size and complexity of the piece. I'd say go to your local store and approach your usual SA and ask about ordering a custom piece, describe your requirements (maybe bring your camera along as well) and let the SA know what you would like the bag to be like (croc, monogram, epi, etc.). Usually there will be someone who could make a sketch of your custom piece based on your vision on how the bag looks like. They will then send the sketch over to the workshop. You'll then receive a cost estimate within a month or so, then you pay 50% of the total cost then they'll start work. Like I've said before, you have to be prepared to pay a hefty price for a custom made piece.

I have SO'd 3 items, the 1st was 40% over, the 2nd 30% over, and the 3rd was only 20% over!! I went a few months ago to check on another SO and was told its 30% now. The % changes all the time, even the managers can't keep up with what it is. I did attempt 2 years ago to SO an accessory piece and they told me no accessory pieces could be special ordered or made, with the exception of some travel pieces, but this is what they said 2 years ago, so they could have change between then and now. For my previous SOs, the manager first contacts the factory in France (all SOs are made in France) to get confirmation that they will do it and what the price (or % if selecting from another collection piece) and then they take 1/2 down at time of order and the other 1/2 at time of pickup. I was really disappointed in the service on my last special order, for when I picked it up, the store did not have a large enough box to provide me which I thougt was quite poor since one is paying a premium for the SO in the first place. I will say each time my SO came in, the SAs were as excited as myself, for I guess they get use to seeing the same ole and love to see something different come in! Good luck on trying to get what you are looking to have done. Oh, 2 of my 3, they took less than 5 months, only the 1st one took over 6 months. In fact, the last one was really closer to 4 months!

I have SO'd 3 items, the 1st was 40% over, the 2nd 30% over, and the 3rd was only 20% over!! I went a few months ago to check on another SO and was told its 30% now. The % changes all the time, even the managers can't keep up with what it is. I did attempt 2 years ago to SO an accessory piece and they told me no accessory pieces could be special ordered or made, with the exception of some travel pieces, but this is what they said 2 years ago, so they could have change between then and now. For my previous SOs, the manager first contacts the factory in France (all SOs are made in France) to get confirmation that they will do it and what the price (or % if selecting from another collection piece) and then they take 1/2 down at time of order and the other 1/2 at time of pickup. I was really disappointed in the service on my last special order, for when I picked it up, the store did not have a large enough box to provide me which I thougt was quite poor since one is paying a premium for the SO in the first place. I will say each time my SO came in, the SAs were as excited as myself, for I guess they get use to seeing the same ole and love to see something different come in! Good luck on trying to get what you are looking to have done. Oh, 2 of my 3, they took less than 5 months, only the 1st one took over 6 months. In fact, the last one was really closer to 4 months!

Very interesting and informative, thanks! I'm wondering though... were your SO's all variations of items already existing, or did you actually have something designed and custom made for you?

This is so interesting, I'm so anxious to hear what they tell you. I knew you could special order certain things, but I had no idea you could actually custom order something. That would be such a cool camera case, hope you are able to do it. Good luck!

I think the previous poster was taking about a special order only which is just a change to an existing design. Custom designs are generally only done for celebrities, dignitaries, or royalty, and money is no object. I'm predicting a denial. If it were to be done, I would predict quite a bit more than 2k.

Yeah that's for a special order. But I'm talking about designing a completely original piece...

i asked about this as i need a pen case... this is what i found out:

soft sided custom designed pieces are MORE expensive than hard sided ones, because there are so many patterns and box sizes around in exsistance. it is also harder to get approval from france for soft sided pieces, but what i call semi hard pieces like the vernis jewel box that are hard sided but not "trunk like" are easier to make, cheaper and likely to get approval for than truly soft sided pieces like a baby bottle bag...

if you have a price limit, you can invluded with your design request... but for a trunk style hard sided piece you starting price is $2,500 for very small peice and up, for a jewelry box style hard sided starting is going to be about the same and for a soft sided piece it is going to be $3,000-$4,000 but those are only starting prices for small simple item.

once you start to add compartments and Extras (which for me was crystal ink bottles) your price goes up very fast!

it will take a few weeks to hear back from france about your design, which you can customize to your liking of course, but you cant do things like damier with silver hardware or graphite with gold hardware, you get the idea...

you can bring in your own drawings and it helps for items like a pen case to send the pens to france so they can make slots that fit each particular pen, for cameras i think it might be the same... bring cameras with you to your appointment, which you can expect to last 30 or minutes...

once your design is approved it goes into production but expect to wait at least 6 months for a soft sided piece, less for hard sided...

you dont pay anything before your design is approved once it is approved i think it is 50% deposit...

you dont have to famous to get it done though, you just have to have the money to pay for it and of course a positive relationship with LV and your SA, and sa who does not know you might not even be willing to sit down with you....

i am not rich and my project would take me a year to save for but my nyc SA was more than willing to work with me and see that i got exactly what i wanted and that it was approved so a positive relation is good enough to make up for lack of a private plane...

Last edited:

amazing!! did you do reveals for your peices, what did you have made?

i asked about this as i need a pen case... this is what i found out:

soft sided custom designed pieces are MORE expensive than hard sided ones, because there are so many patterns and box sizes around in exsistance. it is also harder to get approval from france for soft sided pieces, but what i call semi hard pieces like the vernis jewel box that are hard sided but not "trunk like" are easier to make, cheaper and likely to get approval for than truly soft sided pieces like a baby bottle bag...

if you have a price limit, you can invluded with your design request... but for a trunk style hard sided piece you starting price is $2,500 for very small peice and up, for a jewelry box style hard sided starting is going to be about the same and for a soft sided piece it is going to be $3,000-$4,000 but those are only starting prices for small simple item.

once you start to add compartments and Extras (which for me was crystal ink bottles) your price goes up very fast!

it will take a few weeks to hear back from france about your design, which you can customize to your liking of course, but you cant do things like damier with silver hardware or graphite with gold hardware, you get the idea...

you can bring in your own drawings and it helps for items like a pen case to send the pens to france so they can make slots that fit each particular pen, for cameras i think it might be the same... bring cameras with you to your appointment, which you can expect to last 30 or minutes...

once your design is approved it goes into production but expect to wait at least 6 months for a soft sided piece, less for hard sided...

you dont pay anything before your design is approved once it is approved i think it is 50% deposit...

you dont have to famous to get it done though, you just have to have the money to pay for it and of course a positive relationship with LV and your SA, and sa who does not know you might not even be willing to sit down with you....

i am not rich and my project would take me a year to save for but my nyc SA was more than willing to work with me and see that i got exactly what i wanted and that it was approved so a positive relation is good enough to make up for lack of a private plane...

this is exzctly what I was afraid of. I won't pay 2-3000 for an item like this! So is it even worth it for me to bother trying? :s

Very interesting and informative, thanks! I'm wondering though... were your SO's all variations of items already existing, or did you actually have something designed and custom made for you?

They were items that were variations from other collections; however, on one of the pieces, I did have them custom the interior lining and pockets.

So today while talking to someone from louisvuitton.com, I was told that they are no longer taking special order/made to order requests. He want on to say that they do not plan on bringing the service back.

I know there was an old thread laying around so maybe we can start a new one:

What is your one dream bag/accessory you wish you could custom create? No limitations on materials.

Also if you actually have a special order, post pictures!

i posted about this a few weeks ago.

they are still taking custom orders for hard sided pieces and of course for one of a kind custom created pieces but i think now it must be a hard sided item unless you are super well connected otherwise you request will be rejected.

http://www.louisvuitton.com/us/pers...ialorder?sectionId=special-orders-custom-made

if you go to the personalisation part of the website it still shows you how you can get your one of a kind piece and your custom hardsided piece.

what they have stopped doing is the one where you can get say a Thames in damier azur.

but you can still have LV make you a custom trunk for your other LV custom trunks, for your pens or for your cat toys.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed ladies and gents I went and saw my SA at the Maison after reading this post, she said she hadn't heard of this yet and put in my requests for my SO's. She also said that my customer profile will come into play when the desicion is made so let the waiting game begin. She even agreed to ask for the Beabourg Sac De Sport even though it hasn't been out a year.

So today while talking to someone from louisvuitton.com, I was told that they are no longer taking special order/made to order requests. He want on to say that they do not plan on bringing the service back.

I know there was an old thread laying around so maybe we can start a new one:

Did the person you talked to is someone from 866? If so, don't believe much...they always say something and then another.
Better ask or talk to the SA/Manager in store for more constructive reason why? But somehow, they do give you different and more confusing stories:confused1: