sad day

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Aug 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
    I know this is a bit sad but I just need to talk about it. My DH's dog passed away last night in it's sleep. He wasn't even 10 yet.
    We have been staying with his parents while we have been in Manitoba and they had 2 dogs and one cat. The dogs are stuck in the small laundry room during the night and bad weather (which is maybe 7 feet by 5 feet of floor space for them and I think I'm being generous). During the day, they go outside without leashes and no fence surrounding the yard. Usually they are great dogs and don't leave (well, maybe for a swim in the smelly pond which they shouldn't be doing).
    Well, there was a pig farm in Feb or March (if not earlier) and when the snow started melting the pig smell started reaching the yard and my dh's dog, Elliot would go over there and bring back pig pieces for him and Shadow, the other dog (who is pretty old and has weak hips). Well, he has been randomly doing this all summer and getting sick cause it is rotten pig.
    Wednesday was different. He supposedly went there and when he went in for the night, wasn't looking good (this is what my dh said his dad said.. ) Well, he passed away in his sleep that night. They don't know if it was the rotten pig or if he got into rat poison or something like that. My dh found Elliot and was really upset but went to work without telling me (I had only fallen asleep 2 hours previously so he didn't want me getting up and being upset instead of sleeping).
    Well, I'm upset about the whole thing because I smelled something rotten (like bad fish) last night and didn't investigate. My dh said that the dog didn't smell but maybe I just new something was up. I should have investigated but he may have passed already. Can't help feel like I could have done something when I probably couldn't have. Though I knew those dogs should have been given a fence or long leashes at least. (they would tie up Elliot when he would go off but if he didn't for awhile, they would leave him untied. They even bought a special chain for him that he couldn't chew through but dh's dad couldn't be bothered to use it. I'm angry with his dad for a few reasons but this takes the cake. How could you not say anything about the dog not looking well to someone. Wonder if bringing him to the vet could have saved him.)
    Well, this was my rant and my remembrance of a great dog. I'll post a pic if I can find one.
    Oh yeah, and during the two times my FIL said grace today, he did not once pray for the dog which upset me. He didn't seem to have any feelings about the whole thing.
    Ugh, can't stop crying now. Ok, the picture I am posting is from Christmas last year. It's the first pic my dh took when we came to visit.
    [​IMG]

2. I am so so sorry for your loss. Don't kick yourself for not checking on the smell, you couldn't have known! :hugs: Things will get better, just remember the happiness the dog brought you and hold onto that feeling. I bet your DH's dog wouldn't have wanted you to feel that way. :hugs:

3. Thank you so much. It means a lot to hear someone say something about the whole thing. There were family visiting today so everyone was trying to be happy and I found out in the middle and couldn't even fake a smile half the day.

4. I'm really sorry for your loss, he sounded like a wonderful pet. Please don't beat yourself up about, theres nothing you could have done. Like Izznit said, just hold onto the happy memories :smile:

5. he;s sooo adorable
    sorry for your loss =(

6. Sometimes God works in mysterious ways...this sounds like one of them. The "shock" is probably the worst part. As for your FIL, people grieve in different ways. Personally, I'd be upset, too...but you can't change people and their behavior. :hugs::cry: My thoughts are with you.

7. I'm sorry about the loss of your dh's dog. He's very handsome.

8. I'm very sorry for your loss. But I agree, your dog was beautiful! :flowers:

9. Thank you everyone.
    About my FIL, he is a very selfish person with no regards for anyone but himself so I think we are all mad at him but not expressing it.
    He was a beautiful dog.

10. I am so sorry for your loss. Please know thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and Elliot.

11. aspy_ps, your dog had just the prettiest sweetest face. Don't you just love dog's faces and their precious eyes that look right into you.

I'm so sorry for your losing him.....

12. (((HuUgsss))) He's beautiful... what a sweet face. I'm sorry for your loss. ..(HuUgs)

13. *hugs* Just know that others are thinking and praying for you *hugs*

14. so sorry abt yr dog..:crybaby:.it mus have enjoyed lot of love in its life..:yes::heart:

15. So sorry. I would be mad too. But being upset probably wont help. Maybe you should get away from inlaws for a while.