Sad about what my friend said to me :(

AnVic

Oct 23, 2012
Originally I'm from the Philippines, but been living in Singapore for 12 years now with my family. I just had my very first LV last year of May a wedding anniv gift from DH. Anyways, since then i fell inLVoe with the LV. Everytime i have something new i post it on my FB but on a setting for friends only. :smile:

I have this friend who is really a friend to me. I got shocked when she told me, why do you buy original LV its just a waste of money when you can buy here in Manila a fake but exact image, as in you won't even know the difference. And then one time i noticed before, i have a Long Champ le pliage that used it when i had a vacation, and after that i saw her using the same exact color of my Long Champ in FB, i asked her how much did you bought it? She laughed and said, even you cannot tell that mine is fake. And she even said, on your birthday i'll give you a fake Neverfull LV, you'll be amazed and you'll see what i'm trying to say. Don't buy an original, you're just wasting your husbands money. :sad: and i said, NO Thank you, i still prefer the original and its not me who buys them, my husband doesn't want me to buy fake, he says why buy fake when you can buy the original brand. My DH says, fake is fake!

Oh and this friend of mine said, might as well use your Coach bags than LV, coz here in Manila LV's are everywhere only they're fake, and they might think your's is fake too. :sad: i said, yah but here in Singapore everyone uses original only.

I feel sad for what my friend said to me, i don't know what she's trying to tell me or maybe she doesn't mean harm but i got offended when she said i'm wasting my DH money. :sad:

Last edited:
Originally I'm from the Philippines, but been living in Singapore for 12 years now with my family. I just had my very first LV last year of May a wedding anniv gift from DH. Anyways, since then i fell inLVoe with the LV. Everytime i have something new i post it on my FB but on a setting for friends only. :smile:

I have this friend who is really a friend to me. I got shock when she told me, why do you buy original LV its just a waste of money when you can buy here in Manila a fake but exact image, as in you won't even know the difference. And then one time i noticed before, i have a Long Champ le pliage that used it when i had a vacation, and after that i saw her using the same exact color of my Long Champ in FB, i asked her how much did you bought it? She laughed and said, even you cannot tell that mine is fake. And she even said, on your birthday i'll give you a fake Neverfull LV, you'll be amazed and you'll see what i'm trying to say. Don't buy an original, you're just wasting your husbands money. :sad: and i said, NO Thank you, i still prefer the original and its not me who buys them, my husband doesn't want me to buy fake, he says why buy fake when you can buy the original brand. My DH says, fake is fake!

Oh and this friend of mine said, might as well use your Coach bags than LV, coz here in Manila LV's are everywhere only they're fake, and they might think your's is fake too. :sad: i said, yah but here in Singapore everyone uses original only.

I feel sad for what my friend said to me, i don't know what she's trying to tell me or maybe she doesn't mean harm but i got offended when she said i'm wasting my DH money. :sad:
Hmm..Well you are not really wasting your DH's money because in 5 years, 10 years, your real LV will be worth at least 50% of what it was new and her bags will be in a landfill somewhere.

The genuine article will hold its value, and in some cases like Hermes, increase in value.

This has been talked about so many times...don't worry about what your friend says/thinks. This reflects upon her and not you. Carry what you love and tell your friend to carry what she loves and don't worry about what you spend your money on. Agree to disagree. =)

Some people just don't understand why fakes are bad. I don't like to judge others purely on carrying fakes (though I admit sometimes that's hard!) but certainly don't let her put you off your authentic bags! It's one thing to unknowingly carry a fake, or to buy them not fully understanding what sort of activities they support... but to advocate fakes AND try to bring you down because you buy genuine goods? That's not much of a friend!

This is part of the reason why I don't tend to post pictures of my LVs on Facebook, even for people on my friends list to see. There's too much judgement, even where you don't expect it, as you found out. Not that anyone else's opinion really matters to me - I like what I like because I like it - but I just can't be bothered with any unnecessary drama. Yet another reason why I love tPF! :biggrin: We can all share our new obsessions and our latest purchases, for the most part without judgement.

Also - people make fakes of the Longchamp Le Pliage?!

Hmm..Well you are not really wasting your DH's money because in 5 years, 10 years, your real LV will be worth at least 50% of what it was new and her bags will be in a landfill somewhere.

The genuine article will hold its value, and in some cases like Hermes, increase in value.

Oh yeah! i forgot to tell her that. :smile:

This has been talked about so many times...don't worry about what your friend says/thinks. This reflects upon her and not you. Carry what you love and tell your friend to carry what she loves and don't worry about what you spend your money on. Agree to disagree. =)

Hi Melanie, i know this has been discussed many times but it felt different when i actually heard it myself and also coming from a friend. :sad:

Some people just don't understand why fakes are bad. I don't like to judge others purely on carrying fakes (though I admit sometimes that's hard!) but certainly don't let her put you off your authentic bags! It's one thing to unknowingly carry a fake, or to buy them not fully understanding what sort of activities they support... but to advocate fakes AND try to bring you down because you buy genuine goods? That's not much of a friend!

This is part of the reason why I don't tend to post pictures of my LVs on Facebook, even for people on my friends list to see. There's too much judgement, even where you don't expect it, as you found out. Not that anyone else's opinion really matters to me - I like what I like because I like it - but I just can't be bothered with any unnecessary drama. Yet another reason why I love tPF! :biggrin: We can all share our new obsessions and our latest purchases, for the most part without judgement.

Also - people make fakes of the Longchamp Le Pliage?!

Yah, sometimes i'm hesitant to upload a pic of me with my LV. :sad: and yes, in Manila there are plenty of fake bags even the Longchamp.

I am glad i found this tPF, everyone's always positive, tPFer's here always give good advices, be on a new LV or just about anything. I am more hooked on tPF than on FB now actually. :smile:

AnVic, I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt by the things your friend said. I've been in the same position as you (as I'm sure a number of people on TPF have).

These days, when friends/family/colleagues ask me "why wouldn't you just buy a fake", I kindly refer them to the direct link between the counterfeit market & the international trade of narcotics & child slavery. It generally shuts up anyone espousing the brilliance of counterfeits pretty quickly.

There are plenty of (Australian) & other government agencies who have released papers on these links if anyone ever asks you to back up your argument with evidence.

Anyway I hope this helps :smile:

this is the reason why TPF is the only place i will consider uploading photos of my designer bags and won't discuss them with my friends. the only person i talk about bags is my DH :P and in TPF where i can "talk" freely about buying a real designer bag without being judged.

well, i will just ignore what she said if i were you. don't feel sad. to each of her own :smile:

I think you should avoid the problem/drama and don't upload photos onto FB (I enjoy TPF for this reason!). The bags are not the problem, but the drama and grief people bring you will decrease your enjoyment. People talk. Some of them talk behind your back, some bring it straight to you. Other than that enjoy your bags and don't bother about what people think.

People can be mean, however your friend is possibly jealous you own the real thing. Ask anyone if they could afford it would you prefer real or fake.
Last summer I went to Turkey for a holiday, there was so many fake bags, Louis Vuitton, mulberry, Chanel etc. some of these items were charging several hundreds of pounds, i said to my partner I would rather buy a less high end name for £300 that was genuine than spend £300 on a fake bag.
My theory is if I cannot afford it I won't own it, simple.

I am from Manila too but i dont carry fake LVs ( or any designer brands). It doesnt bother me if other people would like to carry fake bags as long as mine arent fake.
And it may be true that there are plenty of fake stuff in Manila but it doesnt mean that people here in general carry only fake bags. Fakes are everywhere. Just carry what you love

I am from Manila too but i dont carry fake LVs ( or any designer brands). It doesnt bother me if other people would like to carry fake bags as long as mine arent fake.
And it may be true that there are plenty of fake stuff in Manila but it doesnt mean that people here in general carry only fake bags. Fakes are everywhere. Just carry what you love

Hello! Yah I know and every time I visit there when I see people in the mall using their original LV or any branded bags I always say to myself wish I could have brought my LV too. :smile: but I have my LVoely Emilie with me.