Sac de Jour versus Prada Saffiano Lux Double Zip Tote

NYCgirl

O.G.
Oct 29, 2006
Hi there. I'm sure this has been asked before, so I'm sorry for being repetitive, but I could use some advice. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Sac de Jour and the Prada Saffiano Lux Double Zip Tote.

I ordered the Saffiano Double Zip in the medium with shoulder strap size. What really appealed to me was the Viola color. I've been looking for something in that color and it is gorgeous. I received the bag and it seems to be in good condition. I've read so many postings about people receiving their bags with bad stitching, etc. I'm just concerned with all the negative reviews about how it will stand up in the long end. I can't afford to spend all the money on something that will not continue to be in good shape after a couple years.

Sorry, I'm having problems uploading images, but here is a link to the bag and the option to see it in the viola color:

http://m.saks.com/pd.jsp?productCode=0416689550444&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574492709740&prp8=t15&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446621557&bmUID=kytklYy

I was also considering the Sac de Jour. Although there isn't a violet-like color, I do really like the look of the stamped croc in black. I would probably go for the small size, since I need a shoulder strap and the large size is supposed to be really heavy. I haven't seen as many negative reviews for this bag as the double zip, so I'm not as worried about the long term condition. However, that Violet color still really appeals to me.

http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BNY-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=00505032004144

Has anyone had both and can offer opinions on which to choose? Or, even if you just have opinions on both, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Last edited:

popluxe

May 4, 2014
I have the Small Sac De Jour and the Saffiano Double-Zip Executive Tote Bag (the larger version of yours). I love both bags but I use mine for very different things. I think that the choice between the two comes down to how you want to use them. I personally think that the double-zip nature of the Prada makes it look like more of a work bag.

My SDJ is great for every day use. It is small and has a strap so it makes it convenient to run errands. I have the smooth SDJ so I have to be much more careful with it than the saffiano prada tote. I assume that the leather on the Croc Stamped SDJ is similar to the Saffiano leather on the Prada and can take a bit more of a beating.

My Prada is used for work purposes (hence the large size). I sometimes carry it around casually but I have a base shaper in it and I swear that this thing makes the bag heavier once I carry anything in it. I would recommend the base shaper because I personally think that the prada double zip totes look horrible when they lose their shape. The strap on your prada makes it much more easy to carry around and use casually.

One thing to note is that the Prada is lined with that cheap looking cloth material, whereas the SDJ has a more luxurious suede lining! However, I'm not the biggest fan of the SDJ in stamped croc leather and would probably pick the pebbled leather over it.

You won't go wrong with either choice because they are both great bags. The sizes you picked are comparable so that doesn't really differentiate them. I would say it comes down to colour. You would probably get more wear from a black SDJ than you would from the viola Prada. However, the viola colour would look great in the spring time!

NYCgirl

O.G.
Oct 29, 2006
I have the Small Sac De Jour and the Saffiano Double-Zip Executive Tote Bag (the larger version of yours). I love both bags but I use mine for very different things. I think that the choice between the two comes down to how you want to use them. I personally think that the double-zip nature of the Prada makes it look like more of a work bag.

My SDJ is great for every day use. It is small and has a strap so it makes it convenient to run errands. I have the smooth SDJ so I have to be much more careful with it than the saffiano prada tote. I assume that the leather on the Croc Stamped SDJ is similar to the Saffiano leather on the Prada and can take a bit more of a beating.

My Prada is used for work purposes (hence the large size). I sometimes carry it around casually but I have a base shaper in it and I swear that this thing makes the bag heavier once I carry anything in it. I would recommend the base shaper because I personally think that the prada double zip totes look horrible when they lose their shape. The strap on your prada makes it much more easy to carry around and use casually.

One thing to note is that the Prada is lined with that cheap looking cloth material, whereas the SDJ has a more luxurious suede lining! However, I'm not the biggest fan of the SDJ in stamped croc leather and would probably pick the pebbled leather over it.

You won't go wrong with either choice because they are both great bags. The sizes you picked are comparable so that doesn't really differentiate them. I would say it comes down to colour. You would probably get more wear from a black SDJ than you would from the viola Prada. However, the viola colour would look great in the spring time!
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I might have to order the SDJ as well to compare the two in person. It's so hard to judge just from looking online. What color do you have in it?

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina
I have (2) double zip Prada Totes right now and am also considering the Sac de jour in a grey color. I keep going back and forth between the sizes as the small is smaller than the Prada #2274 I have and the medium sac de jour (the one w/o the strap) is larger. I am looking a the grainy earth color sac de jour thinking the leather will be a little more scratch resistant than the smooth version. I have been told that the Earth grainy one does not have the suede lining but that does not bother me at all. I don't think the Prada lining is cheap as someone mentioned. My Celines have the suede interior and all that does is make it heavy! My Bals have cloth interior and are wonderfully light. I use a bag insert most of the time so interiors are not a biggie for me. I plan to order my sac de jour before the NM gift card event ends so hopefully I can compare the two bags (Prada vs. YSL) soon.

NYCgirl

O.G.
Oct 29, 2006
I have (2) double zip Prada Totes right now and am also considering the Sac de jour in a grey color. I keep going back and forth between the sizes as the small is smaller than the Prada #2274 I have and the medium sac de jour (the one w/o the strap) is larger. I am looking a the grainy earth color sac de jour thinking the leather will be a little more scratch resistant than the smooth version. I have been told that the Earth grainy one does not have the suede lining but that does not bother me at all. I don't think the Prada lining is cheap as someone mentioned. My Celines have the suede interior and all that does is make it heavy! My Bals have cloth interior and are wonderfully light. I use a bag insert most of the time so interiors are not a biggie for me. I plan to order my sac de jour before the NM gift card event ends so hopefully I can compare the two bags (Prada vs. YSL) soon.
Thanks for posting. I just ordered the small black croc SDJ from Nordstrom to compare to the Prada.

marbella8

O.G.
Jan 27, 2009
I have had many YSLs and Pradas, and YSL's quality is 10x better than Pradas. Don't get me wrong, I love my prada bags, but YSLs are something else. GL deciding.