Saint Laurent Sac De Jour Souple

This is a new 2017 version but it will not be replacing the classic more structured Sac De Jour. This is the supple soft leather version. At first i didn't like it (because i hate change), but the more i look at it, the more i like it. I can understand the appeal. A lot of people love soft, slouchy leather such as Balenciaga City bags. I didn't like when they took out the inner lining from the original SDJ bags to make the bag lighter and more slouchy, but now i prefer that version to the rigid original. :amuse:

The one thing i'm not too sure about is the visible studs on the front. I think the studs shouldn't be a contrasting color. If the bag is black then i think the studs should also be black or dark gunmetal. I think the studs should be very muted colors. I think the gold studs look nice on the tan bag. I also think the bag will be less slouchy and more structured once filled with items.

I like the bag, i think it's very high fashion without trying too hard, for the sleek, chic, cool girl. I definitely think Kate Moss was the inspiration behind this bag. She made her Sac De Jour so soft by over stuffing and stretching it. I really have to see and try on this bag to see whether or not i'm sold. :smile:

Attachments

• Kate-Moss-Saint-Laurent-Small-Sac-de-Jour.jpg
    Kate-Moss-Saint-Laurent-Small-Sac-de-Jour.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 6,344
Last edited:
Reactions: Nicky75
I don't like the studs. I don't mind the slouch but I preferred the hidden snaps. The promotional pic and Charlize's bag look good probably because they don't look that different from the old design, but I really don't like how the gussets look all stretched out and overstuffed in Kate's bag.

Overall, I like the old design better aesthetically. Now, one thing I don't like about the SDJ is how stiff it is. It doesn't fit as much as it looks like it should and its difficult to get things in and out of the bag because it just wants to remain sort of closed at the top. With that said, I think the new design is the answer to that.

SDJ Souple in grey & black! I just bought yesterday the grey one as I am still very happy with my old SDJ in black. :heart::heart::heart:

Here she is ...:girlsigh:

It's a small size, beautiful mat silver HW and gorgeous grey suede leather inside. Removable clutch. :love:

View attachment 3618439

Thanks for the picture, You've won me over on this bag!! Your photos of the Saint Laurent Sac De Jour Supple Souple are amazing. I wasn't too sure about the studs, but the more i see it, the more i like it. The bag is so simple and classic, that the studs actually work and look good. It always takes me time to adjust to change, but i'm in love with this version now. I actually like all the versions of the SDJ. Please feel free to share as many photos as you want! I'm craving this bag now! :girlsigh::love:

Reactions: silversquirrel
I was tempted to buy this bag when I first saw it but I don't plan on getting one. I love the structured SDJ. This one looks somewhat structured in the newer photos, but it would probably lose shape quickly. The thought of it crumpling and folding over bothers me.

Also, this probably sounds weird but I associate this bag with Anthony Vaccarello, and creative directors are hugely important to me. Fashion is fantasy and escapism, it should move and transport you. If I'm dropping that much money on a bag, it's because the designer's influences and intentions speak to me. I loved Hedi Slimane's work for YSL because it was all about music. Rock musicians informed his sleek, androgynous, minimalist style, out of which came the SDJ.

I don't have the same affinity and connection with Anthony Vaccarello's work, which seems more influenced by 80s clubbing fashion. While I still love the 2013-16 collections, I'm over YSL now that Hedi is out. (That got really philosophical over a handbag...)

I touched the grained Souple for the first time today and while I'm still not a fan of the exposed studs, I have to admit that the leather felt AMAZING. Not just "supple" and buttery, but almost pillowy when I pressed down on it (as though there was a layer of soft padding underneath). I wanted to rub my face all over it but I didn't think the sales assistant would have liked that very much...