SA warned me about my new metallic bag! Help!

vagabag

O.G.
Dec 31, 2006
Okay, ladies, so I just got the Dark Gold (really more bronze) reissue! I am still deciding whether she's a keeper. The more I look at her, the more I am falling in love. But, I just spoke to a SA today who seems very knowledgeable and she told me that the metallic on this bag will peel with time. Is this true?!! The SA who sold it to me said that this was a problem with metallic Chanels in the past but that they've corrected the problem. But, the SA today said there is no way to correct it and that it's just a nature of the metallic finish. She said if I want to wear it as an everyday bag, then I should probably steer clear of the metallics. I would love you expert Chanel folks to chime in, please. I am a recent Chanel convert so I don't know about the past metallics but I really need advice on this Dark Gold reissue. I don't have much disposable income so I really need to be wise with my purchases. I can't afford to get a bag that will not last a lifetime theoretically. Please help! Wondering if I should exchange it for black to be safe. Thanks for any advice!

Hi vagabag, I don't own the Dark Gold reissue but have played with it a few times since its debut. I don't think anyone can guarantee that the material will last forever because it really depends on one's use of the bag. With that said, this leather, from seeing and touching it, (okay, stroking it too :blush:) seems pretty durable for daily use. I would keep it if you like it. Congrats btw!! :smile:

I own a few metallic jumbo pieces and they seem fine over the 5 years I have them. Just have to be careful with the corners. If you are lookin for a durable bag, I would go with the caviar, but I think the metallics are fun and are gorgeous.

Hey Blue! Thanks a lot for your opinion on it. Love your comment about stroking it! :biggrin: Yeah, I know there's no guarantee. I don't know if the SA who sold me the bag was right in saying that Chanel corrected the problem. Maybe I should get the black eventhough the DG is lovely.

Hi vagabag, I don't own the Dark Gold reissue but have played with it a few times since its debut. I don't think anyone can guarantee that the material will last forever because it really depends on one's use of the bag. With that said, this leather, from seeing and touching it, (okay, stroking it too :blush:) seems pretty durable for daily use. I would keep it if you like it. Congrats btw!! :smile:

I have the DG reissue, and it's actually not metallic. It is matte distressed calfskin in DG color unlike the past season's metallic finish coated on leather.

That said, I have quite a few metallic reissues from 07/08 and I have never experienced the peeling issue some tPFers talk about. The only thing you need to concerned with metallic finish is the rubbing on corners. But that's the same with lambskin:shrugs:

Hey Tooshies! Thanks SO much for clarifying for me! So this is not coated on the leather? The Chanel SA I talked to today said this is coated and that is why it will inevitably peel with time. How can you tell that this is not like past seasons metallic bags? Do they feel different? And, when the corners rub, what happens to the color on the corners? Thank you for all your help!!!

I have the DG reissue, and it's actually not metallic. It is matte distressed calfskin in DG color unlike the past season's metallic finish coated on leather.

That said, I have quite a few metallic reissues from 07/08 and I have never experienced the peeling issue some tPFers talk about. The only thing you need to concerned with metallic finish is the rubbing on corners. But that's the same with lambskin:shrugs:

I would not worry about it. Your metallic will be perfectly fine as long as you treat it with excellent care. I mean its not like it will be a beater or anything.

I don't have a metallic finish, but one day while I was in the boutique, a customer was looking at one. After she left, my SA told me pretty much what yours told you about the way that metallics wear. :confused1: Don't know how you decide.... :shrugs:

Oh no. That's what confuses me. I have twoSAs saying this and another telling me the problem's been corrected. And then I wonder even if the metallic bags do peel, whether this dark gold leather is produced differently from the metallics that have problems (as tooshies mentioned). Don't know what to do. :confused1:

I don't have a metallic finish, but one day while I was in the boutique, a customer was looking at one. After she left, my SA told me pretty much what yours told you about the way that metallics wear. :confused1: Don't know how you decide.... :shrugs:

Oh no. That's what confuses me. I have twoSAs saying this and another telling me the problem's been corrected. And then I wonder even if the metallic bags do peel, whether this dark gold leather is produced differently from the metallics that have problems (as tooshies mentioned). Don't know what to do. :confused1:

I understand why you don't know what to do! :hugs: If it were me, I'd just follow my heart! If the bag makes me smile and I just love it, I'd go for it!

Thanks a lot S! I do like it a lot. Just don't want to be afraid to use it which would defeat the purpose entirely. That's why I'm considering black.

I understand why you don't know what to do! :hugs: If it were me, I'd just follow my heart! If the bag makes me smile and I just love it, I'd go for it!

i'm pretty sure it will peel in time as I have a SA who has worked for 7 years and told me the same. No guarantees even tho they try to improve it. Metallics are not everyday use. and delicate usage only.

Yep. It's matte calf. It DOES NOT have the metallic coating like the other metallics. I had the 09A bronze reissue tote for 2 years and I used it pretty often. Not a mark anywhere. I understand your concern, but is not the same type of metallic. Only you know what you are comfortable with.