SA told me my 1 year old bag looked "very old"

mmmira

Nov 16, 2011
I went into today view the differences between the Estrela GM & the Palermo GM.. while in conversation with the SA, we talked about my first brand new (non-second hand) speedy 40.. I mentioned it was about a year old and he smiled (read: laughed) and said it looked MUCH older, about 10 years.
I knew nothing much of brand new vachetta and took my bag into rain/snow and used it with hand cream on.. It really hurt my feelings, and although my bag has much sentimental value and I really do love it, it made me feel a whole bunch of negative emotions. :sad:
Sorry, I just really needed to vent. I don't think it was polite of him to say that, even if it he "joking" which I didn't feel he was.
Just for reference, my bag is pictured. I think is is cute. :sad:

Attachments

• BIG LOUIS 1.jpg
    BIG LOUIS 1.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 3,008
  • big louis 2.jpg
    big louis 2.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 2,674
I think he's just trying to sell you a "new" bag, don't let him get to you, buy when you're ready to buy, not when he suggests you do... It's the way I read this exchange.

Unfortunately, some s/a's can't form a sentence without sticking their foot in their mouth.

Your bag looks loved and the fact that you didn't baby it and simply enjoyed every moment of carrying it is really impressive when so many of us on the forums (myself included) spend too much time babying our bags and not enough time enjoying them.

Remember, there are products you can use to clean and protect the vachetta leather that will remove the dirt and restore it to a near new condition. Lovin my bags - www.lovinmybags.com - makes a kit for LV vachetta that is fabulous. Check out the FAQ section for more information if you're interested.

Which bag did you prefer - the Estrela or Palermo GM? I have the latter and LoVe it!

Last edited:
It does look well used, but that is different from old. I agree with the above comment too, I spend more time worrying about my items when I should be enjoying them. SAs can say the dumbest things. Just ignore it and love your speedy!

Unfortunately, some s/a's can't form a sentence without sticking their foot in their mouth.

Your bag looks loved and the fact that you didn't baby it and simply enjoyed every moment of carrying it is really impressive when so many of us on the forums spend too much time babying our bags and not enough time enjoying them.

Remember, there are products you can use to clean and protect the vachetta leather that will remove the dirt and restore it to a near new condition. Lovin my bags - http://www.lovinmybags.com - makes a kit for LV vachetta that is fabulous. Check out the FAQ section for more information if you're interested.

Which bag did you prefer - the Estrela or Palermo GM? I have the latter and LoVe it!

I came to this forum tonight specifically to look into the protection products and proper care!
I decided on the Estrela GM.. and went to the flagship store a few blocks away to make my purchase as I was not happy with the customer service I received :P

Thank you for your kind words everyone, making me feel much better.
And to those saying it does look "old".. that is unfortunate. OH WELL! You live and you learn haha

I think it looks loved and broken in. It sounds like the SA was deliberately trying to make you think you need a new bag!

This happened to me too a long time ago when I was trying to get my french purse reglazed. The SA said something to the effect of, "Oh, you must have had this for a very long time!" I was very insulted and I took it elsewhere for repairs. I'm sure she was just fishing for a sale. She didn't get it!

Just shake it off. I think it's a beautiful bag and there is no reason to be ashamed of it.

I can definately relate to how your feeling, I wouldn't take it personal because loads of people like to baby their bags- which I do not, its a bag its meant to be used. I don't think it looks old at all- just very loved(: And thats what matters the most!

Calvin7592 said:
It does look well used, but that is different from old. I agree with the above comment too, I spend more time worrying about my items when I should be enjoying them. SAs can say the dumbest things. Just ignore it and love your speedy!

Agree, your speedy looks very loved!! I think if you use the leather cleaner on the handles, if would look newer. Your vachetta has the beautiful honey color you should enjoy. Plenty people "tan" their bag to make it golden like yours. ;)

I went into today view the differences between the Estrela GM & the Palermo GM.. while in conversation with the SA, we talked about my first brand new (non-second hand) speedy 40.. I mentioned it was about a year old and he smiled (read: laughed) and said it looked MUCH older, about 10 years.
I knew nothing much of brand new vachetta and took my bag into rain/snow and used it with hand cream on.. It really hurt my feelings, and although my bag has much sentimental value and I really do love it, it made me feel a whole bunch of negative emotions. :sad:
Sorry, I just really needed to vent. I don't think it was polite of him to say that, even if it he "joking" which I didn't feel he was.

I think it is well loved :biggrin: my new Speedy is only about 6 months old, and it has patina'd a lot, I think it's just one of those bags that changes really quickly, especially since it is handheld.

I think that your Speedy is absolutely gorgeous. It is a timeless classic and the patina on it makes it look EVEN MORE STUNNING! I love the deep honey color that yours has and I'm even a little jealous! :graucho:

A lot of these SA's can be kind of rude, IDK what it is about them. It probably was just a poor attempt at a joke or a sales tactic, either way you should not feel offended when you are paying big bucks for these bags, you should be able to enjoy the experience ;) Good for you, standing up for yourself

I keep reading about how SAs can be tactless. This must be one of those moments. Don't let him get to you.

Look on the bright side: you have a lovely deep patina which is what some Monogram users like.

That was sortof impolite to say that it looked old...The handles look a little darker than the rest of the patina but maybe it was from the creams?....I still think it looks like a great bag...Don't sweat the small stuff! The important thing is you enjoy the bag!