SA tells you to "clear your credit card" - Quota Bag hint =) ?

It is easy to forget that English is not the first language for many readers of this forum.
Idiomatic expressions will vary in different English speaking countries and if taken literally can sometimes be misconstrued. The 'clear your credit card comment' is neither an instruction or an assumption that you will be using a credit card.
Similarly the suggestion that there is some inference that using a credit card implies that you do not have the funds to back up a purchase is as erroneous as that buying with large sums of cash would suggest that the purchase is being funded by criminal activity.

I’m so sorry that you didn’t get offered your dream BUT I really do commend you for not taking a bag you didn’t love. I think many get caught up in the moment and they make poor decisions. I even heard a YouTuber recently comment that “one does not turn down a mini Kelly, regardless of leather or color”. I almost spit up my drink. If I were offered a Bamboo, Blue Electrique, Rose Sakura or any other color bag I didn’t want, there’s no way in heck I’m taking it home. That’s just not me. I want to wear my purchases and I wouldn’t wear those colors.

Aww! I often tell my SA that half the time I don’t know what I want until I see it :smile: Unfortunately, this is such a privelege at Hermes, given the different combinations possible and very limited availability… I’m glad you had the courage to say “no” to this one, and going for something you truly want. Hopefully, “season 2” as you call it, will come soon :smile: Sending positive vibes :smile:

I’m so sorry that you didn’t get offered your dream BUT I really do commend you for not taking a bag you didn’t love. I think many get caught up in the moment and they make poor decisions. I even heard a YouTuber recently comment that “one does not turn down a mini Kelly, regardless of leather or color”. I almost spit up my drink. If I were offered a Bamboo, Blue Electrique, Rose Sakura or any other color bag I didn’t want, there’s no way in heck I’m taking it home. That’s just not me. I want to wear my purchases and I wouldn’t wear those colors.

This is why you see so many BNIB Kellys and birkins on fashionphile

I was kind of upset that she built such suspense in the call while offering a colour not on my list, BUT im guessing she just wanted to see if I would like this colour bc its in the sellier and size I wanted. I did leave empty handed :-snothing on my list came in. Hoping for better luck for the next offer :amuse:
In some cases, “Clear your credit card” can be used to prime the client into buying what will be offered. Building the story/suspense ahead of time in hopes that the client will want to close the loop, finish the “story” arch and buy the item. To be fair, this is a slightly cynical view. I was really hoping it meant that the SA had something that was on your wish list! Kudos to you for not just taking anything and standing by what you want. Hoping for better things next time! :choochoo:

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: 880
That statement could be a quota bag hint---but it could be a "marketing trick" too to make sure that you have money/credit to buy whatever she offers and to entice you to go to the store. I will be upfront yet polite and say: "I am ready to purchase (insert name of whatever is in your wish list that you've been looking for). I'd be really happy and thankful if that is what you will offer". See how he/she reacts. But in my experience, if they will offer what you asked for, they are pretty upfront and they don't play games. The only times when an SA is indirect is when he/she wants me to purchase more and doesn't really have an offer of something I asked for (and of course you can always say no if you really don't like an offer). That is based from my experience.

That statement could be a quota bag hint---but it could be a "marketing trick" too to make sure that you have money/credit to buy whatever she offers and to entice you to go to the store. I will be upfront yet polite and say: "I am ready to purchase (insert name of whatever is in your wish list that you've been looking for). I'd be really happy and thankful if that is what you will offer". See how he/she reacts. But in my experience, if they will offer what you asked for, they are pretty upfront and they don't play games. The only times when an SA is indirect is when he/she wants me to purchase more and doesn't really have an offer of something I asked for (and of course you can always say no if you really don't like an offer). That is based from my experience.
She’s already updated the thread that she was offered a bag but not in the specs she was looking for.

In some cases, “Clear your credit card” can be used to prime the client into buying what will be offered. Building the story/suspense ahead of time in hopes that the client will want to close the loop, finish the “story” arch and buy the item. To be fair, this is a slightly cynical view. I was really hoping it meant that the SA had something that was on your wish list! Kudos to you for not just taking anything and standing by what you want. Hoping for better things next time! :choochoo:
My thoughts exactly! I thought the offer would be in one of the colour I had requested for. I think my SA just wanted me to see that colour in person and I might possibly be interested. Since Im very particular in the colour, I decided to pass - the bag was BEAUTIFUL though, just not for me =(

Thanks for the suggestion! When she offers me (or indirectly offers me) again, I will definitely ask questions to try and gauge what colour she will be offering ! Are SAs allowed to advise clients what colour theyre going to offer in advance?

Thanks for the suggestion! When she offers me (or indirectly offers me) again, I will definitely ask questions to try and gauge what colour she will be offering ! Are SAs allowed to advise clients what colour theyre going to offer in advance?
No problem. I always ask for a description..color included of course. I hate wasting anyone's time. You are the consumer and it is your money so it is good to find out early on. Indirect answers mean playing games and playing with my money and emotions. I want to avoid those of course. I have yet to meet an SA who became upset over me asking for a description of what she is offering me before I even make it to the store..I just hope it never happens! Actually the SAs want me to ask questions, look, and inspect. They say it is an expensive purchase and the thing that they want to avoid is me disliking it later on and returning it!

Reactions: raylyn and jenayb

well said! Some YouTubers are resellers so they will take any mini K and make a nice profit selling it.

I find that bag way too small and not really functional. K28 or k32 would be ideal.