SA experience (need advice)

HKsai

Jul 24, 2016
Hi guys, I recently started my love for Hermes and had purchased a few items (Evelyne GM, H bracelet and a men 100 shawl). I can't say I'm a consistent spender but I had purchased all these items within a 2-3 month period. I will totally admit that I don't make enough $$ to throw out like 4k here and there every month or so. I do really want to build up a relationship with an Hermes SA and continue to build up my luxury purchase experience. I'm definitely don't purchase only from one brand and I go through phases here and there (Prada, BV, LV, Gucci, Fendi...etc.)

Long story short. I've been working with these one SA but she's kinda...pushy. Yesterday, she had sent me an email to pick up a replacement shawl. She let me know that there's a perfume engraving event going on. I told her that I would love to check it out. She told me that she has an appointment in the morning and that she would be available by 2pm. I went in at 2:04pm and I had purchased some stuff from LV already. She was quite pushy and "upset" that I purchased some perfume for my mom from LV. She asked me "joking" to return it. I tried to polite declined and explained that I was going to come to the store earlier but that she was busy. She responded in an "annoyed" tone and told me that her appointment ended earlier than expected and that she was free. I just avoided to respond to her comment because I didn't really know what to say lol I then asked if I could get a few samples for my mom. She took out one of the samples of the one that I like but I told her that it might be a while before I would purchase any perfume. She awkwardly put it back and kindly walked me out the door.

I honestly have been fascinated by the quality and history of the brand but I also don't want to feel pressure to purchase items whenever I want to check out new things at the store. I want an honest opinion and I want to ask... is Hermes currently just out of my spending and reach at this time? I don't want to have unrealistic expectations because I know my small purchases probably don't benefit the SA. Thanks for reading this really long post. :smile:

It would be good to know which country you are in.
One shouldn't stereotype, but...

I so agree with bagidiotic: Shopping should be happy and carefree esp with a premium price tag

True luxury shopping is when you are made to feel special whether you are spending 10s 100s 1000s or just browsing and asking for advice. That is what generates return visits, loyalty and spending. If anything the onus is on the SA to develop the relationship with you not vice-versa. It's just baffling to me why you have kept returning to the same SA when you don't really like her approach.

Hi guys, I recently started my love for Hermes and had purchased a few items (Evelyne GM, H bracelet and a men 100 shawl). I can't say I'm a consistent spender but I had purchased all these items within a 2-3 month period. I will totally admit that I don't make enough $$ to throw out like 4k here and there every month or so. I do really want to build up a relationship with an Hermes SA and continue to build up my luxury purchase experience. I'm definitely don't purchase only from one brand and I go through phases here and there (Prada, BV, LV, Gucci, Fendi...etc.)

Long story short. I've been working with these one SA but she's kinda...pushy. Yesterday, she had sent me an email to pick up a replacement shawl. She let me know that there's a perfume engraving event going on. I told her that I would love to check it out. She told me that she has an appointment in the morning and that she would be available by 2pm. I went in at 2:04pm and I had purchased some stuff from LV already. She was quite pushy and "upset" that I purchased some perfume for my mom from LV. She asked me "joking" to return it. I tried to polite declined and explained that I was going to come to the store earlier but that she was busy. She responded in an "annoyed" tone and told me that her appointment ended earlier than expected and that she was free. I just avoided to respond to her comment because I didn't really know what to say lol I then asked if I could get a few samples for my mom. She took out one of the samples of the one that I like but I told her that it might be a while before I would purchase any perfume. She awkwardly put it back and kindly walked me out the door.

I honestly have been fascinated by the quality and history of the brand but I also don't want to feel pressure to purchase items whenever I want to check out new things at the store. I want an honest opinion and I want to ask... is Hermes currently just out of my spending and reach at this time? I don't want to have unrealistic expectations because I know my small purchases probably don't benefit the SA. Thanks for reading this really long post. :smile:

That is awful and I’m sorry you are going through this. You don’t deserve to be treated like this. I cannot believe she put back the free sample (did I understand that correctly!?). I met one of these super pushy SAs (in Asia) once - made me so uncomfortable that I never returned.

It would be good to know which country you are in.
One shouldn't stereotype, but...

I so agree with bagidiotic: Shopping should be happy and carefree esp with a premium price tag

True luxury shopping is when you are made to feel special whether you are spending 10s 100s 1000s or just browsing and asking for advice. That is what generates return visits, loyalty and spending. If anything the onus is on the SA to develop the relationship with you not vice-versa. It's just baffling to me why you have kept returning to the same SA when you don't really like her approach.

Haha no stereotype but it helps to understand the full picture :smile: I’m a 26 yo asian make. Interestingly is that I’m super loud with my friends but my...tendency to agree and polite comes out in situation like this. To be completely honest, I’m more baffled/confused than really mad. My perception is that I totally understand that she has other customers that are willing to spend money instantly (I’ve seen her before politely excuse herself to say hi to a customer with a croc Kelly). I just love Hermes that each scarf has its history and story and the SA there know a lot about the products.

That is awful and I’m sorry you are going through this. You don’t deserve to be treated like this. I cannot believe she put back the free sample (did I understand that correctly!?). I met one of these super pushy SAs (in Asia) once - made me so uncomfortable that I never returned.

Thanks for your response! To give you a big picture is that we are both Asians. I honestly want to give her benefits of the doubt...she probably thought I didn’t need it....? It’s helpful to hear other people’s perspective because tbh this experience has been spiraling in my head for the past day. I honestly had such good experience the last three visits when I was able to make a purchase. This past one...confused me.

Your location is in line with what I have picked up from what other posters have written.
I don't think this experience will spoil your appreciation of Hermes.
I know there is a culture of 'not to cause others to loose face' in Asia but you might need to express your dissatisfaction; as sales assistant she should be serving you, it is not your concern that she also serves others with more disposable income than yourself.

If you can't change store, then change SA. I realize that it may be difficult. In my home store, I get along with several SAs but there is one identified as "my" SA and no one tries to poach me. I am not a big spender. The first time I walked in, the SA who served me had a very obvious attitude: "I have better things to do than attend to you". Luckily on my next visit, I met my lovely SA.

Don't give up on H! If this SA isn't right for you, find another.

I find it personally upsetting when clients put up with these sort of behaviors. Anyone would be foolish to not push the boundaries especially if they think they can get away with doing so. It’s incumbent upon customers to resist such unruly behaviors and ensure that it doesn’t become the status quo. I’m even more bothered that you are merely baffled/confused when you have a legit reason to be outright upset.

Shout out to my SA and home store family. Haha they offer me drinks and even help me carry my purchases to my car.

Unless i am in the wrong breaking any store rules, The day an SA walks me out of a store yeah be prepared for channel 5, 10, 15, 20 etc nightly eye witness news full coverage of such shenanigans. Certain things have to be nipped in the bud pronto else it becomes the store culture

Having been to a perfume engraving event, I know that the purpose is to purchase a fragrance that you then have engraved. The engraver's time is finite, so the store needs to plan to be sure that all the customers' purchases can be engraved during their visit. This is probably what your SA anticipated when you set up the appointment. Her joke about returning the LV fragrance may have been more to the point that you could purchase an H fragrance and have a complimentary personal message engraved for your mother on the bottle.

My experience (in the US) is that H is not very forthcoming with fragrance samples. I've purchased items across the store and only once was offered any samples. I don't think I'd be very comfortable asking for samples and at the same time letting the SA know that I wouldn't be purchasing any fragrance for a while.

By putting the samples back and walking you out the door, this SA was definitely telling you not to waste her time anymore. I think you'd be better off finding another store.

Having been to a perfume engraving event, I know that the purpose is to purchase a fragrance that you then have engraved. The engraver's time is finite, so the store needs to plan to be sure that all the customers' purchases can be engraved during their visit. This is probably what your SA anticipated when you set up the appointment. Her joke about returning the LV fragrance may have been more to the point that you could purchase an H fragrance and have a complimentary personal message engraved for your mother on the bottle.

My experience (in the US) is that H is not very forthcoming with fragrance samples. I've purchased items across the store and only once was offered any samples. I don't think I'd be very comfortable asking for samples and at the same time letting the SA know that I wouldn't be purchasing any fragrance for a while.

By putting the samples back and walking you out the door, this SA was definitely telling you not to waste her time anymore. I think you'd be better off finding another store.
But I told her that I would be dropping by at 2 to pick up my replacement shawl for my defective one that I had before :S i didn’t plan to waste her time to just walk in and browse around.

I should probably be straight forward next time then. I probably should make it clear that I was just picking up the shawl and not gonna be looking around.

I would put this experience behind me & start fresh & not allow this SA's behavior chase you away
from continuing to shop at Hermes.
You have learned something & remember that you are the client & the SA is there
to help you & not baffle you with inappropriate & unprofessional comments
If this store is convenient for you then I would go back. Every SA has a day off & if you can you should
find out what day this SA is off & go into H again & start with a new SA.

I find it personally upsetting when clients put up with these sort of behaviors. Anyone would be foolish to not push the boundaries especially if they think they can get away with doing so. It’s incumbent upon customers to resist such unruly behaviors and ensure that it doesn’t become the status quo. I’m even more bothered that you are merely baffled/confused when you have a legit reason to be outright upset.

Shout out to my SA and home store family. Haha they offer me drinks and even help me carry my purchases to my car.

Unless i am in the wrong breaking any store rules, The day an SA walks me out of a store yeah be prepared for channel 5, 10, 15, 20 etc nightly eye witness news full coverage of such shenanigans. Certain things have to be nipped in the bud pronto else it becomes the store culture

Thanks for challenging my perspective! I’m so happy and honestly a little bit jealous that you have such an awesome experience with your store.

I would put this experience behind me & start fresh & not allow this SA's behavior chase you away
from continuing to shop at Hermes.
You have learned something & remember that you are the client & the SA is there
to help you & not baffle you with inappropriate & unprofessional comments
If this store is convenient for you then I would go back. Every SA has a day off & if you can you should
find out what day this SA is off & go into H again & start with a new SA.

I’m gonna try that! I actually waited a week for her because she went on vacation. There’s another lady that was willing to ask me if I want water and help when I was waited 20 minutes for my SA (for my ”scheduled” 2pm Appointment :P). She seemed really friendly.

But I told her that I would be dropping by at 2 to pick up my replacement shawl for my defective one that I had before :S i didn’t plan to waste her time to just walk in and browse around.

I should probably be straight forward next time then. I probably should make it clear that I was just picking up the shawl and not gonna be looking around.
I would not internalize the experience with her being like this. If you want to buy stuff in the future, just walk in, be confident, and buy it from someone (whether or not she is there). She cannot ban you from the store for not wanting some perfume that day, especially as you have indeed bought things, unless you do something illegal. You showing up confident and getting your future business done will be enough to show her she and her bad business practice of walking you out has no power over you.

And perhaps bubble it up as a direct suggestion to her next time you are there to not walk paying customers out the door over a perfume sale as they may not come back to the store or the brand due to experiences like that.