s/s 09 mj collection ad campaign

ad numero 2
attachment.php

Attachments

• Scan4-1.jpg
    Scan4-1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 142
^ i recently saw it in february's vogue? harper's bazaar? i prefer the first one since it catches your attention and makes you wonder what she's doing, but this one is lovely and understated too. i usually picture raquel zimmermann to be more va-va-voom than this. i love that they made her look more young, freshly scrubbed, unsure, and "plain."

I really like the campaign, thank you very much for sharing!
The two posted here by jun3machina are amongst my favourites.
Here is another one taken form the marc jacobs website.

(I think the fruits are pomegranates.)

Attachments

• marcjacobsss09ad01.jpg
    marcjacobsss09ad01.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
^ LOL...well the major didn't help worth a crap. i just over analyze everything. makes my perception of the world more interesting and amusing to myself...

although, from an art perspective, i really admire what mr. teller does with his photography. because of the 'simple' nature of the visuals of his images (most of them looking as if they were taken with overexposed poloroid camera''s) his compositional elements are always REALLY complex. it's why i love his stuff so much.

like this pic wouldn't work if he didn't take it in the time of day he did. notice the shadows on the lefthand side. they balance out the image because it's mainly weighted on the right hand side of the picture, due to all the apples being on that tree, the slight tilt of the chair and model and the color. also, he meticulously placed the apple near the forefront of the chair, which colorwise draws your eye to that and helps further add a dialogue with the viewer, as to why it's there. if she dropped it, if she's stealing the apples, if it's her job to pic them, etc...The shadow from her hat also imitates the round shape of the apples and balances the composition by adding weight to the lefthandside of the picture.

i see the chair as some sort of metaphor for luxury being on a pedestal personally. and the apple maybe being basic needs....

but that's what i would write if i had to analyze this for a thesis paper or something. this is a bag forum, i want her outfit and her bag and think it's a pretty image so a :tup: from me. now where's my fricken jergan teller coffee table photography book damn it!?

Wow jun, that was very insightful!:tup:

This would be a very interesting topic in my philosophy class--we're learning about aesthetics and touching on art. (what makes something appealing, what society tends to favor...)

wow june, what a critique!! i would have never picked up on any of that... i guess all that drawing makes you see those types of details.

the ad looks dreamy... i like it.

i think that mj ads aren't supposed to make easy sense or any sense at all. i've always gotten an unsettled, spooky feeling from the ads, which is the opposite of how i feel about his designs or even the atmosphere of his boutiques.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Looks like a fall/winter campaign. Even if they are pomegranates, spring is not harvest season.
it's just a personal interpretation...

and interesting facts about pomegranates:
* the plants themselves can live to be 200 years old
* the fruit should mature some 5 to 7 months after bloom.
* Once established, pomegranates can take considerable drought (hence a representation of our current economic climate and perhaps saying that despite the drought, MJ/luxury goods shall prevail)
*In the Northern Hemisphere, the fruit is typically in season from September to January. In the Southern Hemisphere, it is in season from March to May.
*It is also a symbol of fruitfulness
*also a symbol of hope
*also believed to be the forbidden fruit
*In Vietnam, the pomegranate is called thạch lựu and the pomegranate flower is the symbol of summer.

facts from google and wiki:yes: