Travel Russia - Anyone been there?

I love russia! I like both Moscow and St. Petersburg for different reasons. For me, St. Petes has a little more what one might consider classic russian culture. Whil moscow is a nice picture of modern urban russia. I love russian culture and if the US dollar did suck so much I might do a semester over there. But I might have to learn russian and I've tried a few times. I'm terrible.

I love russia! I like both Moscow and St. Petersburg for different reasons. For me, St. Petes has a little more what one might consider classic russian culture. Whil moscow is a nice picture of modern urban russia. I love russian culture and if the US dollar did suck so much I might do a semester over there. But I might have to learn russian and I've tried a few times. I'm terrible.

Wow, it's so great so see so many Rusophiles here. I wish I had more people like you around me, most of the people I know, even my friends, know so little about Russian culture. I remember I met ex my boyfriend's family for the first time. His mom asked me if we are scared of polar bears breaking into our houses during winter time - I was like, WTF ? :confused1: I grew up in Moscow, one of the largest metropolitan cities in the world, not at the North Pole. :roflmfao:

Reactions: kadelle
I already visited S.Petersbur two times ! One in a cruise and the other by myself with friends!!!It's my favorite city in the world, i can't find more beautiful city than this one! Well i think in generall, things in Russia are not so expensive comparing to Europe. I think the prices are the same. i was there in Summer and in Winter and i talked to some people who say this luxury stores have higher prices in summer than in Winter, because of the tourists of course!;)
I don't remember the name of the store, but i know it's in the main street of the city (something like Proebsky....sorry don't remeber really) and there you have all the brands: Gucci, Chloe, Ralph Lauren, Prada...But something you will see in all corners are joellerie stores, you will become crazy with some many beautiful diamonds!

I hope you have a nice trip, i'm sure you will love it as much as i do!:P

I just remember the name of the luxury store i was talking about , it is Baboschka, or something like that!It's very easy to find!Don't forget to go to the Church of the Splited Blood, Hermitage of course, Peterhoff, Puskhin and Lady of Kazan (i love this one too much!).

I just remember the name of the luxury store i was talking about , it is Baboschka, or something like that!It's very easy to find!Don't forget to go to the Church of the Splited Blood, Hermitage of course, Peterhoff, Puskhin and Lady of Kazan (i love this one too much!).

You're close-it's Babochka. It means butterfly in English.

Things have gotten pretty expensive there. I was there a few days ago looking at a pair of Gucci shoes and they were $1024---they were definitely not that much in the states.

I recently made a decision to take a vacation to Moscow. I was just curious what I need to do to get a visa and how long it takes. Any help is much appreciated!! Also, any recommendations on hotels would be great! TIA

I'm on track to finish my EdD in the spring of 2014 and would like to reward myself with a trip to someplace I haven't been before and St. Pete and Moscow are on my list. I'm very comfortable traveling and planning most trips on my own, but I'm rather unsure about this one.

I've considered a Viking River Cruise that while pre-packaged, also gives me some freedom and nights off the boat.

Has anyone else planned a trip to Russia on their own? Or did you use a travel agent (if they still even exist). I'd welcome any thoughts or suggestions!

I've been there a few times, and I hope you will enjoy your trip! Russia requires American tourists to have a visa, so if you haven't been there before, the cruise you are considering or a travel agent is not a bad idea. If the cruise company provides visa support, that would help a lot. I assume a travel agent would provide visa support. It isn't a huge hassle, but having someone help you through the paperwork the first time could be very helpful.

I've been there a few times, and I hope you will enjoy your trip! Russia requires American tourists to have a visa, so if you haven't been there before, the cruise you are considering or a travel agent is not a bad idea. If the cruise company provides visa support, that would help a lot. I assume a travel agent would provide visa support. It isn't a huge hassle, but having someone help you through the paperwork the first time could be very helpful.

Thanks for your post. I had read that I would need a visa, which in part, is what prompted me to start this thread well in advance. Where in Russia have you been?

Thanks for your post. I had read that I would need a visa, which in part, is what prompted me to start this thread well in advance. Where in Russia have you been?

Moscow and St. Petersburg, exactly where you mentioned in your initial post! They are very different from each other. Both fascinating, but in different ways. What draws you to travel to Russia?