Royal leather - what is it like?

MKNS

O.G.
Mar 27, 2008
Hi

I love all the pictures of everyone's Royal bags. I'm trying to decide if it's right for me, and if so, what style bag I should purchase (Mini Beloved, Roadie, MAM/MAB, or something else)

Is it cow or lambskin? Is it soft and slouchy, or a more hard, structured leather, or is it somewhere in between?

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
^ Royal leather is cow. It is thick, and a bit matte, and very saturated in color..

I have a Royal Mini Beloved, and I love it.. it's a great bag with great leather. You will not be disappointed!

pinkboudoir

♥
May 19, 2006
SUN-shine-y island
I had Royal Roadie, it was smooth, matte & thick. It has this nice sheen as you wear it. There are some Royal pics that I see are pretty pebbly, think mostly the Mini Beloveds.

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina
The Royal leather is really really nice. I would avoid the "Bright Royal" though. It has a purple hue to it. Also, it felt a little plastic to me.

MKNS

O.G.
Mar 27, 2008
I'm glad to hear it's thick. I like the thicker more durable leathers. Now just to decide what style of bag.

I think I would like the Mini B, but I don't know if I can handle all the tassels. I have detasseled all my bags that have had them. But they have all had the regular zipper pulls and it looks like most of the Mini B's have the o-ring zipper pulls. Is that right?

So my next choice would be the roadie. I love the look of the linear stud roadie, but am not sure about the studs. I like them now, but will it become an outdated look? I want a bag that will last me a LONG time!

So third on the list would be a MAM/MAB, but I would want one with a strap...

HELP!!!

katie_manx

O.G.
Oct 28, 2009
The Little Red Dot
Hmm, if you still have the bag shown in your avatar, the MB or the Roadie would add more variety to your collection.

I have a couple of MBs, both with o-ring zipper pulls. They feel incomplete without the tassels, because the o-rings are so thin and light. IMHO, tassels are optional to MAs, but integral to MBs. Maybe if you get the MB, it might change your mind about them tassels? :graucho:

MKNS

O.G.
Mar 27, 2008
Hmm, if you still have the bag shown in your avatar, the MB or the Roadie would add more variety to your collection.

I have a couple of MBs, both with o-ring zipper pulls. They feel incomplete without the tassels, because the o-rings are so thin and light. IMHO, tassels are optional to MAs, but integral to MBs. Maybe if you get the MB, it might change your mind about them tassels? :graucho:
I would like to try to add some variety to my small, but growing, RM collection.

Humm... you make a good argument about the tassles... :thinking:

littlerock

Love is Love is Love
O.G.
Apr 19, 2007
In the moment
I'm glad to hear it's thick. I like the thicker more durable leathers. Now just to decide what style of bag.

I think I would like the Mini B, but I don't know if I can handle all the tassels. I have detasseled all my bags that have had them. But they have all had the regular zipper pulls and it looks like most of the Mini B's have the o-ring zipper pulls. Is that right?

So my next choice would be the roadie. I love the look of the linear stud roadie, but am not sure about the studs. I like them now, but will it become an outdated look? I want a bag that will last me a LONG time!

So third on the list would be a MAM/MAB, but I would want one with a strap...

HELP!!!
I've de-tasseled most of my bags too but I think the MB is so cute with it's tassels!

indiaink

Authenticator
O.G.
May 3, 2007
You know, I took the tassels off my royal MB and replaced them with gold-colored pulls .. and it was too much bling. I put the tassels back on last night and it looks much better. Something about the MB ... the tassels just work!

And - the royal leather is just so nice - thick, chewy - not pebbled, smooth and grainy, like a good Bal leather ... I'm impressed with it!

Desi

O.G.
Dec 19, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
Royal is a great leather. There have been about 20000 different royals and different variations in each, but all of them are great IMO!~ Definitely cow, thick, chewy, and soft.

MKNS

O.G.
Mar 27, 2008
Thanks everyone for all the help! It sounds like Royal is my kind of leather!