Round 3: Spend vs. Spend (on something else)

Oct 17, 2007
You have all steered me in the right direction flawlessly in the past, so I'm back for more advice! :biggrin:

I am pondering my next BV purchase....so far I have a large nero Veneta and a large ebano Campana. I love them both, and I am ready for something new! :P

Here's what I'm thinking:

Generally, I'm leaning toward pre-loved....but I'm going to the Woodbury Common outlet this weekend; though I haven't been able to get any intel on current inventory, it's possible something may speak to me...so my search may end there.

If not....the three bags that are topping my realistic pre-loved wishlist (in no particular order) are:

1) New Pyramid
2) Cervo hobo
3) Sloane

Pros, cons, thoughts on any or all of those three (esp. given what I already have)?

I have also considered not spending anything right now, but continuing to save for a Cabat...the more I see them the more I find myself wanting one, especially some of the metallics (go figure...I would gravitate toward the more expensive ones :roflmfao:)...but that is a whole lotta saving that would have to happen, and I don't know if I'm that disciplined!!

Advice, wisdom???

TIA!

Wow...three out of three for the Cabat!! :thinking:

That would mean an absolutely unprecedented amount of discipline for me. I usually get the urge to buy a new bag 2-3 times a year...realistically, I would have to go about another year and a half to two years without a substantial purchase (SLG's don't count :roflmfao:)...

Maybe I should think of it as a "Cabat Challenge"...I tend to be a competitive person, so if I think of it as a challenge that might do the trick...:biggrin:

You have all steered me in the right direction flawlessly in the past, so I'm back for more advice! :biggrin:

I am pondering my next BV purchase....so far I have a large nero Veneta and a large ebano Campana. I love them both, and I am ready for something new! :P

Here's what I'm thinking:

Generally, I'm leaning toward pre-loved....but I'm going to the Woodbury Common outlet this weekend; though I haven't been able to get any intel on current inventory, it's possible something may speak to me...so my search may end there.

If not....the three bags that are topping my realistic pre-loved wishlist (in no particular order) are:

1) New Pyramid
2) Cervo hobo
3) Sloane

Pros, cons, thoughts on any or all of those three (esp. given what I already have)?

I have also considered not spending anything right now, but continuing to save for a Cabat...the more I see them the more I find myself wanting one, especially some of the metallics (go figure...I would gravitate toward the more expensive ones :roflmfao:)...but that is a whole lotta saving that would have to happen, and I don't know if I'm that disciplined!!

Advice, wisdom???

TIA!
I'd save for the cabat. I think it's like leap frogging over other luxury cars to a Bentley.

I bought a sloane on the resale market and I do love it. But if I had skipped that one and several others, it would have funded a cabat. I feel like I've been buying a series of luxury cars, which is great, but if I had skipped some of those earlier purchases, and bought a cabat, I'd probably feel like I was on the top of the (proverbial) pyramid.

Last edited:
Wow...three out of three for the Cabat!! :thinking:

That would mean an absolutely unprecedented amount of discipline for me. I usually get the urge to buy a new bag 2-3 times a year...realistically, I would have to go about another year and a half to two years without a substantial purchase (SLG's don't count :roflmfao:)...

Maybe I should think of it as a "Cabat Challenge"...I tend to be a competitive person, so if I think of it as a challenge that might do the trick...:biggrin:
If you buy gently used, the price may be much less!

If you don't go for the Cabat, I would eliminate the Sloane from the list--I know I will get pelted with spitwads for saying this, but to me, it sticks out too much and only folds shut, no zipper.

I really miss my New Pyramid--sold it for some stupid reason. And the Cervo Hobo is one of the softest, most comfortable bags, if you love hobo styling, BV makes and it's so reasonable in price.

I'd pass on all three. You've got some great hobos/shoulder bags. I'd save for a Cabat. if you start itching, consider the parachute.

And definitely look at gently used. I got my violet gently used and a) it was in mint condition and b) I saved a bundle.

If you really want a Cabat, then I'd skip the others and save for it. As others have said, you already have some great shoulder bags, so why mess around?

I will say that the Cabat is a completely different animal from your Veneta and Campana and the other shoulder bags you are considering. It's not inexpensive, so do make sure that it--a big open tote--is really what you want. I have and use Cabats and Venetas, but they serve very different purposes for me.

As for the others, there are many threads for the Sloane versus New Pyramid, so using the Search feature might be of use to you. In a nutshell, the Sloane is more sumptuous and slightly wider in the base, while the New Pyramid is more sleek and is slightly smaller. The Sloane has flaps and covered hardware, while the New Pyramid has a top zipper and metal rings attaching the strap to the body. As for the cervo hobo, it's a beloved bag here that never appealed to me because of its size and shape (I'm petite, and the very long shoulder drop and the rounded, north-south orientation does not look good on me).

Good luck deciding!

I will say that the Cabat is a completely different animal from your Veneta and Campana and the other shoulder bags you are considering.

As for the cervo hobo, it's a beloved bag here that never appealed to me because of its size and shape (I'm petite, and the very long shoulder drop and the rounded, north-south orientation does not look good on me).

These are both very accurate statements and I would strongly recommend you try both on several times. I didn't like the Cabat the first time I tried it on and have been a slow convert. For me, the color was key.

I also (even though I'm 5'10') found the Cervo hobo VERY long. I bought it in Duchesse and didn't like it as a flirty summery bag so back it went. I just bought my Brique one and like it very very much because the proportions work with more clothing (sounds weird but I hope you know what I mean). You may be tempted to get one because of the relatively low price point (for BV that is) but remember, it's $1680 further way from a Cabat.

If you play your cards right you could get a Cabat for under $5K and possibly $4K if you're willing to go a bit more used. Let us know what colors you'd be interested in and I'm quite sure we'll "responsibly enable." With the holidays coming up, I think you'll see more things coming up for sale/consignment and you just might get a beauty!

These are both very accurate statements and I would strongly recommend you try both on several times. I didn't like the Cabat the first time I tried it on and have been a slow convert. For me, the color was key.

Completely agree with trying on the Cabat a few times before buying - I went to check out this bag in person, and it really is not for me. All of the sizes just seem way too huge for my frame and I feel like I'd lose stuff in there!

ok this is my thinking

do you need a tote bag or another handbag? the cabat is a tote and totally open

here are things I heard about the Sloane and New Pyramid when I was a BV SA

The Sloane is a gorgeous bag
It is square on the bottom but tends to slouch nicely
the shoulder strap is short so it tends to hug under the arm
The flaps are annoying (what I heard from clients)

New Pyramid
Sleek and slouches nicely
zipper opening is not wide enough
too deep
everything falls to the bottom

Cervo Hobo
I have never met anyone who hasn't loved this bag
the price point is great
cervo is a wonderful buttery soft leather

Cabat
I have never heard of anyone that did not like their cabat unless they bought the wrong size
most women did favor the mini when it was available
most women that use it as a tote buy the medium
I have had a few women buy the large because they traveled a lot and could put business files and their laptops in it plus they could put a small handbag in it also
cabat umo.....I only know of one woman who bought this size. it is huge. they were 6' tall and used it as a big tote to travel with

so how is your will power? can you save for a cabat? will it be as hard as losing weight? if any of the answers to this is not good, no, and yes buy a new handbag

maybe you have a birthday or anniversary coming. You could hint that you are starting a cabat fund and would like people to contribute instead of a gift or dinner out

i think if you want something new meaning different from what you have then wait for the cabat. the cervo hobo never appealed to me so i can't really recommend it.

i think blueiris makes great points about the cabat. i have three so i am a fan but it does take getting used to.

not to be and anti enabler but i just think once you have a campana and a veneta how different are the other bags.

Thank you to everyone!! I am just overwhelmed with all of this great advice and information!

Re: Sloane vs. New Pyramid vs. Cervo hobo....I've had the opportunity to try both the Sloane and the Cervo hobo. I would agree, boxermom, that the Sloane struck me as more of a show horse than a work horse...a little uncomfortable on my arm, and very poofy...but what a show horse she is! Every time I see pictures of the Sloane, I just fall in love with it again. Grietje, the Cervo hobo I tried on was brique. I thought it was on the long side but seemed to work well with my shape, and also worked I think because it tended to sit relatively flat against my body.

Re: this Cabat business! I think that in addition to the issue of saving up is the issue of how much use I will get out of it. I think I would use it a fair amount, but realistically I know that because it's not an everyday bag it will get less 'air time' than my other bags. And to be fair, there is also a part of me that will want to be cautious with it (and potentially use it less) because it is such a large investment.

I'm still not sure...luckily I am not in any hurry, so I think the next step is to actually try out a Cabat at the boutique to get a feel for whether it's really 'me'. But you are all right that I do have two great BV's and it might be time to set my sights on something totally different like the Cabat--and something that, frankly, would be the capstone of my collection for a very long time!