Roulis vs Berline

dessert1st

Apr 5, 2014
Hi my Hermes friends! I am hoping your insight and brilliant knowledge can help me decide. I have been thinking about a Berline lately. I own a Roulis which is so lovely. I think it is similar in function, style and size compared to a 24 Constance. And it is so versatile because of changeable strap lengths. But I am wondering if you would consider the Berline 28 to be of similar function, size (how much it holds) and style. I have not tried on a 28 Berline in a long time so I don't remember much and now that it has a longer cross body strap, I am considering it. Am unsure if it would be a good fit in my collection and help fill a gap for day travels and maybe even long travels.

I have been trying to limit impulse buys and duplicative bags so I am hoping your input would help my decision making. I know trying it on in person would help me decide but before I ask or inquire I wanted to do some research.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. And if you own both I would especially love to hear your opinion. TIA!!!

i have a bit of an issue with shoulder bags with the Kelly clasp because its not the most functional not even on the Kelly when its on the shoulder strap. so the berline the jypsiere and the so-Kelly are not my top bags. the roulis is beuatiful very much its own bag with its own hw and a true Hermes XXIst century classic where as these smaller bags i feel are an abuse on the Kelly clasp, for comercial reasons. i have much more respect for the roulis, the constance, the convoyeur, the lindy.because they have their own descritive Hermes look, while still being under the radar perfect quality. so i very much suggest another roulis a constance or even a vintage Kelly because it covers the same function and is the actual hw owner. hope this makes sense and helps best.Birkel

Very interesting and thought provoking post birkel. You make some great points.

Dessert1st, I think a Berline would be serve too similar a function as the Roulis and not be any more useful for day travel. I don't have a Roulis, but I had a Berline and let it go because it was too hard to get in and out of the Kelly style clasp. (Same for the Jypsiere.)

I am also very tempted to get a Berline, in a Soufre or Argile....But I seem to always reach for the birkin because of the ease of getting in and out. But I think the Roulis and Berline are totally different looks. I'm not all that attracted personally to the looks of the Roulis. But I love the sportiness of the Berline!

i have a bit of an issue with shoulder bags with the Kelly clasp because its not the most functional not even on the Kelly when its on the shoulder strap. so the berline the jypsiere and the so-Kelly are not my top bags. the roulis is beuatiful very much its own bag with its own hw and a true Hermes XXIst century classic where as these smaller bags i feel are an abuse on the Kelly clasp, for comercial reasons. i have much more respect for the roulis, the constance, the convoyeur, the lindy.because they have their own descritive Hermes look, while still being under the radar perfect quality. so i very much suggest another roulis a constance or even a vintage Kelly because it covers the same function and is the actual hw owner. hope this makes sense and helps best.Birkel

What an interesting insight, Birkel! I have to say, I had not thought about those bags in that way, but I have never been a fan of the So Kelly or Jypsiere, and maybe that is part of the reason why. I do love the Kelly, so maybe I'm a purist? :P

In any case, aesthetically I much prefer the Roulis over the Berline -- it has a cleaner line, and is more versatile, IMO. OP, I'd stick with the Roulis if I were you! If you need a super-casual cross- body bag, maybe get an Evelyne.

Personally I don't know what a Roulis looks like, going to Google it in a minute, but I do know what the Berline looks like... I don't really like its design to be honest. To me it looks a lovechild between a Kelly (flap and straps) and an old, recycled Rolls Royce car seat (the lower front portion with the piping and all). Like Birkel said, if you were considering a Berline, how about getting a vintage Kelly, the original. But out of your two choices, I would definitely go for the Roulis! Good luck!

Just wanted to add, I just Googled the Roulis, yeah definitely go with that!

Last edited:
roulis for me too. it's a very versatile bag - can be dressed up or down, 2 way strap too. one day i'll get one (on a ban now). and very elegant.

good luck deciding!

Thanks for everyone's replies and thoughts. It has been very helpful. I do love my Roulis and it can hold some essentials well. I kinda wish the middle pocket were optional so it could be more flexible for putting things inside and maybe even hold more. That is one pro and con against the Berline. Also the Berline has a nice thick sturdy strap.

Would love to hear more opinions!

Very interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing. I do agree with you on the spinoff look of the So K and Jypsiere. I think a vintage Kelly is an interesting alternative but was considering Berline because it is more under the radar. Hmmmm

Very interesting and thought provoking post birkel. You make some great points.

Dessert1st, I think a Berline would be serve too similar a function as the Roulis and not be any more useful for day travel. I don't have a Roulis, but I had a Berline and let it go because it was too hard to get in and out of the Kelly style clasp. (Same for the Jypsiere.)

I see your point in double strap and it is something to consider. Thanks!

I am also very tempted to get a Berline, in a Soufre or Argile....But I seem to always reach for the birkin because of the ease of getting in and out. But I think the Roulis and Berline are totally different looks. I'm not all that attracted personally to the looks of the Roulis. But I love the sportiness of the Berline!

I like the sportiness too! Argh! So many pros and cons!