Rouge H or Rouge Garance?

Thank you everyone! I love your input! That's one thing, OhManolo, I'm worried of because I don't wear brights either....so, I want to be very careful with this purchase.

Thank you everyone! I love your input! That's one thing, OhManolo, I'm worried of because I don't wear brights either....so, I want to be very careful with this purchase.

S'Mom, I think I know where you're coming from. My warddrobe is very heavily weighted towards neutrals -- lots of black, gray and navy, with occasional different blues or the odd purple thrown in. I get my color pops from scarves, mostly, but my clothes are mostly neutral. I just bought my first Kelly, in Rouge Vif! A departure for me, but like you, I was jonesing for a pop of color. I could have gone with Rouge H but decided to go brighter to three reasons: 1, I have a Rouge H GP and didn't want to duplicate, 2. There is that brownish tone in RH that I was unsure of, and 3. I think of Rouge H as being a color that works best in fall and winter, where a brighter red can work in all four seasons. JMHO. Hope this helps!

S'Mom, I think I know where you're coming from. My warddrobe is very heavily weighted towards neutrals -- lots of black, gray and navy, with occasional different blues or the odd purple thrown in. I get my color pops from scarves, mostly, but my clothes are mostly neutral. I just bought my first Kelly, in Rouge Vif! A departure for me, but like you, I was jonesing for a pop of color. I could have gone with Rouge H but decided to go brighter to three reasons: 1, I have a Rouge H GP and didn't want to duplicate, 2. There is that brownish tone in RH that I was unsure of, and 3. I think of Rouge H as being a color that works best in fall and winter, where a brighter red can work in all four seasons. JMHO. Hope this helps!

catsinthebag has a good point here. I do admit that I seldom used the Rouge H in the summertime. Both are gorgeous colors and you cannot go wrong; I do think that RG is a "happier" color but not outrageously bright or anything. It is gorgeous and classy.

Thank you, Catsinthebag! Yes, I think you understand me perfectly! I have black box, Fauve, Etoupe, Navy and a Gris Perle GP (this only really comes out on the warmer/sunny days) so the right red would be so welcome!

My other question is would a Kelly in Clemence be a bit floppy? I'm looking for a departure from a stiff leather in this next bag but I don't want a "soft" bag....

Both will go with everything IF you find a vintage Rouge H bag. I have a rouge vif Kelly that I love, love, love, but I'm also looking for a Rouge H one because it would be worn more often, I think.

Of course, I love vintage Rouge H.

Going against the grain a little I vote for RH for you.

I know it's not quite the RH of yesteryear but it's still a classic. You do have a GP GP for sunnier days

I have a couple of non-H bright red bags, not even as bright as RG, a) I don't feel in a bright red bag mood for longer than a day at a time b) can't always deal with all the looks/comments that a bag naturally brings umpteen times a day, there's no way of hiding it.

Clemence will be OK in a smaller size but may undulate a little with a bigger Kelly, not in a bad way though

1.) RED????
2.) RG definitely. Well, for me. It's a brighter, more saturated red. RH is browner.

Ditto. I bought a RG Evelyn not too long ago, and I've been using it almost constantly. D, my mode of dress is pretty much the same as yours. :smile:

Well, red is definitely the perfect pop of something. I love my red bags … and have wanted RG forever. So I'm biased!

The older rouge h seemed more burgundy/red to me. The newer shade has a lot more brown in it. So maybe that makes it more neutral for your wardrobe?

I agree with everything said above!

I'm also a neutral gal as you well know, and my RG Birkin is my only pop of colour. I love this red, my favourite H red since the OLD Rouge H. And talking of Rouge H, as much as I loved the old one, I don't like the new one, too brown.

So, my vote goes to RG:love:!!!!!

RG for sure. Its a great red which will add a nice bit of color without it being super bold like R Casaque or more muted (and on the way into the brown spectrum) which is what I see RH as.

Let's put it this way -- I had been looking for a BJ Boide in togo for 5 years; didn't prefer it in other leathers and it was not being made in togo any longer...soooooo, who knew I would walk into H and be swept up by RG! I mean, right out of the box, I was a goner (in clemence), which takes this color so perfectly. I am def. a neutrals person wearing solids in black, navy, grey, khaki, white, jeans, blazers, etc. My H bags are navy, chocolate, black and bleu tempete. I reach for my RG a LOT because it makes me smile every time, and it works with everything (OK, not greens so well, or yellows). Perfect shade of red with good looking stitching (don't prefer reds with pinkish stitching).

As I have a rouge H Kelly, my vote goes to rouge H! I love my Kelly which has a dark red color (it is a rather old bag though and from what I understand the "newer" rouge H is more of a brownish red).

If you wear navy, black and grey ( like me!) then you do not tend towards the brown/gold/taupe part of the neutrals spectrum and I suspect the brown undertone on Rouge H, classic though it undoubtedly is, will never ever really 'go' with anything you have no matter what the season, light or weather conditions. The advantage of Rouge Garrance is that it is the most pure red Hermes has created in many years; Rouge Casaque has a bit of orange in it and Rouge Vif has a tiny hint of pink in it, Rouge H resembles the colour 'oxblood' often used in gentlemen's shoes. Because of the purity of the colour it will work effortlessly as the 'pop' of an unexpected colour without introducing sub-tones which will clash, subtly but perceptively, with your wardrobe. Rouge Garrance is the answer - it's not a popularity contest just a matter of what works.

Last edited:
I'm attaching this picture for a couple reasons, one so you can see the current rouge h color, which I love but it does as many have said have brown undertones. Secondly I am showing my gold Kelly 40 in clemence that is now 4 years old. It is standing on it's own unstuffed. I have always used her with a bag insert from divide and conquer. I think you can keep a clemence bag from getting sloppy looking if you use an insert and store it on its side, so don't rule out a color just because it is clemence.

ATTACH]2416789[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1385990065.887361.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1385990065.887361.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 587