• Blue Nile

• Independent Jeweler

• None of the above!

Results are only viewable after voting.

meluvs2shop

In Love
O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
I am currently on the market for a beautiful tennis bracelet and I need your opinion/advice.

Should the bracelet come with a certificate (GIA, for e.g.)?

Last year my husband purchased a pair of diamond studs from Blue Nile and to this day I wear them every day. And two years ago I bought a really pretty pair of turquoise earrings with a tiny diamond from Ross Simons that I also love.
But you can't compare the two b/c obviously the diamond earrings were by far a bigger purchase.

Anyway, right now Ross Simons has a BIG sale on tennis bracelets and they have a 7 carat in my budget.
I was not even on the market for a 7 carat, that is, until I saw the price!:nuts:

Obviously Blue Nile also has a 7 carat but it's much more.
The Blue Nile bracelet also has less diamonds so I'm assuming it will appear larger on the wrist? And finally, the color of the diamonds from Ross are J & K while Blue Nile's are H.

I know the best way is to see both bracelets in person but thats not really possible since Blue Nile is an online store and Ross...well, I don't even know where there's a store since I purchased online from them in the past.

Or should I just go to a local jeweler and take it from there?

I have to be honest here, the Ross Simons price sounds very appealing but on paper it doesn't seem to stack up well next to Blue Nile's bracelet.

Here are the links for the two:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-bracelet-white-gold_5286

http://www.ross-simons.com/products/469724.html

Last edited:

Kitsunegrl

Fill the Giant Pig!
O.G.
Nov 7, 2006
Cajun Country
I couldn't get the bluenile one to open up. :sad:

I have purchased both from Blue Nile & Ross-Simons and have been pleased with both. However, I believe in general that you are getting a more consistant diamond product with Blue Nile. It seems they use better diamonds for their items.
I don't know how much the Blue Nile bracelet it, but maybe you can get the Ross-Simons one, see how it sparkles and if it doesn't blow you away, send it back for the Blue Nile. Ross-Simons does have some great deals-my mom purchased a pair of 3 ctw diamond hoops (larger diamonds, smaller hoops) during one of the 25% off sales and they are really spectacular.
I don't think you will receive a diamond report unless you are building and picking each diamond, right? Usually you just get a general spectrum: j-k color, such and such clarity range?

meluvs2shop

In Love
O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
Ty Kitsunegrl!

I guess it's not allowing to post the link here. :sad:

Blue Nile:

Diamond Eternity Bracelet
in 18k White Gold (7 ct. tw.)
Forty-five round, brilliant cut diamonds are set in a stunning four-prong straight line bracelet.

BRACELET INFORMATION
Stock number: 5286
Metal:
18k White Gold
Clasp:
Box catch with hidden safety
Chain length: 7 inches
Rhodium:
Yes

DIAMOND INFORMATION
Number of round diamonds: 45
Minimum carat total weight (ct. tw.):
Average color: H
Average clarity: SI2
Setting type:
Prong setting

$8500

Attachments

meluvs2shop

In Love
O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
I couldn't get the bluenile one to open up. :sad:

I have purchased both from Blue Nile & Ross-Simons and have been pleased with both. However, I believe in general that you are getting a more consistant diamond product with Blue Nile. It seems they use better diamonds for their items.
I don't know how much the Blue Nile bracelet it, but maybe you can get the Ross-Simons one, see how it sparkles and if it doesn't blow you away, send it back for the Blue Nile. Ross-Simons does have some great deals-my mom purchased a pair of 3 ctw diamond hoops (larger diamonds, smaller hoops) during one of the 25% off sales and they are really spectacular.
I don't think you will receive a diamond report unless you are building and picking each diamond, right? Usually you just get a general spectrum: j-k color, such and such clarity range?
your mom's hoops sound gorgeous!
i also purchased from both vendors but like i stated above, you can't compare the two.

Joannek1717

Nov 9, 2009
Connecticut
A diamond with a J or K color will look a bit yellow - at least I know I can see it!! My mom had a 2.8 carat diamond that I coveted as a child and I was crestfallen when I heard that she gave it to my sister when she had her first child. When I saw it the first time as an adult with some experience with diamonds, I realized it was a bit yellow and that I never would have worn it. I came across the appraisal in a box of stuff recently - it was a "J" color. SOOO, it sounds like in this comparison, you will get better quality with the more expensive bracelet.

skyqueen

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
Dear ML2S...my diamond studs and tennis bracelet are both G color for reference. Hard to tell from my lousy pics but face-up very white. I would go with G/J color. Also invest in an additional safety clasp. Good luck...what fun!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

evekitti

Aug 9, 2007
The Blue Nile bracelet has slightly bigger diamonds (about 15 points each) while the Ross Simons one is about 13 points each. IMO, that's not a lot of difference in size. With diamonds this size, you won't get GIA certs.

How big is your wrist? I have small wrists and I can't wear standard length 7-inch tennis bracelets. I'm getting a 6-inch one custom made and since I need less diamonds for the bracelet, my budget allows me to go bigger for the diamonds, each accompanied with a cert too!

May 29, 2010
I have to say that I love Ross Simons for their colorful pieces. They do also have some beautiful engagement rings. However, when it comes to their standard diamond pieces, I feel Blue Nile has a better diamond selection.

labrillant

Sep 11, 2010
I've bought from both vendors and would go with Blue Nile for something like a tennis bracelet. I've never been disappointed with anything I purchased from Blue Nile, but have been disappointed with some of the things I've bought from Ross Simons. I think they jack up the prices in order to do the constant coupon deals.

ame

O.G.
Mar 22, 2007
if you want cheaper, lower quality, get the Ross Simons. I find them to mass market lower end goods.

I would either go independent or Blue Nile befoer I would get the Ross Simons.