Rosie's Leaving!

I did not hear her defend Alec Baldwin, I have heard several people note that many people do "talk to" their children like that, and I can't argue with that.

I'm sure we have all, at some point or another, heard someone verbally abuse children, it is a quite common practice, I wish it were not.

I am in the minority here but I like Rosie & she was the only reason I watched "The View". Elizabeth Hasselbeck is a twit IMO. I Like Joy but I loved Rosie. I am also very liberal, so go figure! I couldn't stand Star! YUCK! She was a twit too, imo!
Hooray. Someone else agrees with me. I love Rosie.

Here's what Roger Friedman wrote in his Fox411 column:

And don’t believe the spin that ABC was mad at her for comments made at the Matrix luncheon on Monday. Rosie was finished with "The View" over the Christmas holiday when Barbara Walters failed to defend her against Donald *****.

In fact, it was worse than that: When O’Donnell discovered that Walters had bad-mouthed her to *****, she decided to leave the show. It was that simple.

ABC, in fact, wanted O’Donnell to stay with the show. They offered her, as she said on the air, a three-year contract. She refused to sign. Rosie said she’d stay for a year, and this is what you don’t know: She wanted $10 million to do so.

ABC did not turn down the money. They turned down the one-year part. They wanted stability. They would have paid her something like $30 million to sign for three years. That’s how much they wanted her. She was the future of "The View."

So that’s it. Rosie said on the air she’d be back to guest host and do specials. Maybe she will. But it’s more likely that based on her enormous success this year with "The View," O’Donnell will venture back into syndication or join another show on another network. Everyone wants her.

The look on Walters’ face this morning said it all. Losing O’Donnell is a blow. Walters is half owner of "The View."

First she lost Meredith Vieira. Now Rosie. She’s left with the dependable Joy Behar and the questionable Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,268380,00.html

Well, personally, I can't claim that she is my favorite comedian, but neither can I claim to be especially outraged by her. Sometimes I agree with her, sometimes, I don't.

Just to give an example, I think she was absolutely correct about Donald *****'s hair. It is just awful, though useful for helping youngsters understand the Moebius concepts, which I think I mentioned in a previous thread.

I guess I disagree with everyone else here. I think she has brought some life to the view. She is definitely not one to hold her tongue but it is called "the view" so all sides need to be represented. I think she has also helped the ratings which in this day and age is important. And, in my opinion regarding Star Jones I think she wrote her own ticket out of there and the show is better without her. I still miss Meredith! she rocked!

ITA

Well, I don't think it is a question of anyone censoring Rosie. If she is leaving the View, I am sure it is because someone else has very simply offered her more money.

Now if a network were to hire Arundhati Roy, who respectfully and eloquently discussed this or that, that might at some point cause some other issues to be raised in various lofty offices and heights, but I don't think that anyone anywhere is worried that Rosie is going to be the cause of people who agree with Elisabeth to rethink their views, or the View, depending on how devilish one's mood may be at the moment... :smile:

I doubt very much that Rosie left because of another offer.

ABC finally realized that it was losing too much credibility keeping her. She was let go, but allowed to save face and say she was leaving on her own accord.

And I bet there was never a time when you preferred Jerry Springer to Oprah. :smile:

I understand where you are coming from, you are talking about what you find pleasant to watch, but respectful discussion simply does not attract as many viewers as emotionally-charged drama, with people yelling at each other. And you have to admit, Rosie can yell with the best of them!

When you consider that programs like The Bad Girls Club, Flavor of Love, and I Love New York broke records for their respective networks, and of course the now-famous battles and wheels and deals a couple of years ago when America, and especially Oprah, woke up one morning to discover that Jerry Springer was not only almost as popular, or even as popular, but had actually eclipsed her in the ratings! And of course, of all three news channels, Fox is a consistent winner, Bill O'Reilly and all! :smile:

What may constitute "good TV" to you, or to me, in terms of quality and appeal (though I confess watching all the shows I named, and enjoying them thoroughly) :smile:, what is going to produce the most profitable bottom line is what "good TV" is, to the majority of the viewing public, and to the suits upstairs!

You're right I never have preferred Springer over Oprah.

I don't find any of the shows mentioned worth watching. I find it just a bit disturbing that shows like those have such a large audience, but that's a different topic. If Rosie was "good tv" she would not be leaving the View. I absolutely think Disney or ABC asked her to move on. If she were valuable to the show, she would have been paid to stay.

I doubt very much that Rosie left because of another offer.

ABC finally realized that it was losing too much credibility keeping her. She was let go, but allowed to save face and say she was leaving on her own accord.

I did not realize the depth of feeling involved. I hope that ABC will not disappoint you.

You're right I never have preferred Springer over Oprah.

I don't find any of the shows mentioned worth watching. I find it just a bit disturbing that shows like those have such a large audience, but that's a different topic. If Rosie was "good tv" she would not be leaving the View. I absolutely think Disney or ABC asked her to move on. If she were valuable to the show, she would have been paid to stay.

I really had no idea people felt so deeply about Rosie!

At this point, even if Rosie herself faxed me a copy of an offer from a different company, I would not post about it here because I am now convinced it would not be polite. I hope that you will not be disappointed by either Disney or ABC.