Rory McIlroy calls off engagement to Caroline Wozniacki

YSoLovely

Black Girl Magic
Apr 13, 2010
Rory McIlroy calls off engagement to Caroline Wozniacki

• High-profile pair had just sent out invites for wedding
• ‘I’m not ready for all that marriage entails,’ says McIlroy

Rory McIlroy has dramatically announced that he has called off his engagement to the tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, just days after sending out invitations for the pair’s wedding.
McIlroy and Wozniacki confirmed they were to marry on New Year’s Day in Sydney. They were expected to become husband and wife in a ceremony in New York later this year.

However, in a completely unforeseen development on Wednesday morning, McIlroy admitted matters in his personal life had been moving too quickly for his liking. McIlroy had spent time in London last week with Wozniacki, with the golfer tweeting a photo of the view as he dined with his fiancee in Monte Carlo on Sunday evening.

“There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people,”
McIlroy said. “The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails.

“I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting.”

McIlroy stuck to precisely that plan last year, after strong speculation he and Wozniacki had broken up. The 25-year-old is, however, scheduled to appear at a media conference at Wentworth ahead of the BMW PGA Championship on Wednesday morning.

Read more at ONTD: http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/88348626.html#comments#ixzz32MQsrKgp

Damn. :weird:
I mean, better call it off now than getting divorced after a few months or leading a miserable marriage, but I still feel for Caroline. :nogood:

Her ring was so beatiful, too... :cry:

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

curlybee

Jul 17, 2013
Sure it's sad ad painful etc but better now than end up in divorce court too bad more people don't consider if they are truly ready to be married before tying the knot or even getting engaged.

Avril

grly grl
O.G.
May 11, 2008
He came out yesterday that the split was "amicable" - hardly amicable if they have JUST sent out wedding invitations :rolleyes:

Swanky

Admin
Admin
O.G.
Jan 12, 2006
lol!

I agree, thank goodness it happened now.
But why did he have to be so cold about it? He had to have the last word? It would have been better w/ a joint statement so the entire globe didn't get the memo that she was dumped.

bag-mania

O.G.
Apr 6, 2007
Sure it's sad ad painful etc but better now than end up in divorce court too bad more people don't consider if they are truly ready to be married before tying the knot or even getting engaged.
So true. I think there are plenty of broken engagements happening out there. People who get engaged on impulse, caught up in the romance of being in love. As the date draws near, reality finally rears it's head and they realize they do not actually want to be married.

Alexenjie

O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Beautiful ring. Have zero clue who these people are.
He is a golf star and she is the same in tennis. I like her because I enjoy watching tennis.

Better to call it off now then to stand someone up at the ceremony. I do think it odd to send out wedding invitations now for a wedding at the end of the year but whatever caused him to rethink his actions is a good thing.