roommate troubles

maebymarni

May 29, 2009
So I was hoping you guys could make me feel better, because my roommate situation just seems to suck right now. The story goes like this:

I like my roommate a lot, and we're good friends, but she has some really bad habits. She had a cat that she never took care of, up to the point where the cat refused to use the litter box and destroyed the carpet in the living area. She finally got rid of the cat, and the carpet still smells. I told her I wanted to get the carpet cleaned, but she said she was "thinking about it". So now she's away for a month and a half, and I can't do anything. I don't want to pay for all of it and have her pay me back because I am not a bank. But I feel like I can't even have people over because its so bad. Not only that, but before she left, she left out garbage for me to take out, and food out to rot.

That's not even half of it. She also smokes. She refuses to smoke outdoors because she is lazy. She "Seals" up the vent that our bedrooms share by using one sheet of tape to put bubble wrap over it. Not only is this inconsiderate, but just plain stupid. Then when I tell her she can't smoke inside, she says its ok because she is "smoking near the window". Not only that, but I'm pretty much allergic to everything, so I feel like its not unlikely that I could develop asthma. Everything ends up smelling like smoke, even my clothes sometimes, and that drives me nuts! I feel like my well-being comes in second to her laziness 100% of the time. I find her reaction to what I think is a perfectly reasonable request to smoke outside completely childish, and I have a hard time dealing with her because it really seems like she can't deal with herself.

That said, we already have a contract for next year, and I'm not interested in searching for a new roommate (I did it last year and it was a huge mess). Not only that, but I want no part in breaking our contract- a contract is a contract. I don't want to have to find a new place to live. Plus, I'm not really close with very many people at my school, so I don't really know what to do.

I just feel like no one can live with me right now, and it always goes wrong with my roommates. I don't have to see her for a while, but I can't help but think about this ridiculousness. I just want to be able to put it out of mind until I have to see her again.

carousel eyes

Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
If you're feel so horrible about this, breaking the contract is worth it in my opinion. I would not stand for her disgusting habits, especially if she doesn't even TRY to fix them.

InstantKarma

Mar 3, 2009
If you're feel so horrible about this, breaking the contract is worth it in my opinion. I would not stand for her disgusting habits, especially if she doesn't even TRY to fix them.
I don't know about that since if she breaks it, it won't look good on future applications if she looks for another apartment

ProfNot

Sylvie Guillem fan
O.G.
May 10, 2006
danceland
I suggest you get out your camera and document everything. Also keep a journal.

Her cat made mess on rug, etc.

When you two move out, you will probably be hit with a huge cleaning bill for carpet and re-painting because of smoke smell. If I were you, I would be so angry I would sue her in small claims court to make her pay all of it.

If you have photos and a journal, the judge will be very impressed. And you will have documentation that you are not a bad tenant in case you need to show it to a future landlord.

I had a horrible situation like yours, once. I decided to live my life in the bedroom as much as possible and kept all my dishes, shampoo, and stuff there so she couldn't break it or use it up. I took journaled and took pics of everything in my room.

I put a lock on my bdrm door so she couldn't get stuff when I wasn't home.

I got lucky. When we moved out the landlord pulled down the building to put in a medical office building. We got back 100% of our cleaning deposit. Whew!

I haven't shared living space with anyone since. Makes me shudder to even think of it. I won't even live with anyone until I am engaged or married. I want a ring before I try cohab again.

Good luck!

juneping

couch potato-ing
O.G.
Jun 11, 2007
NYC
you are in a sticky situation.
you really need to move or find a new roommate....either way.
it absolutely will drive you crazy if you live with your current roommate....or you can keep complaining but the situation won't improve....
sorry....

carousel eyes

Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
Exactly. I don't need any sort of legal troubles, I just wish she wasn't such an idiot.
Then maybe you should talk to your landlord or someone who knows more legally. That way if it becomes too much, then you'll at least know that others know about it and you can't be solely blamed if you do end up wanting to break your contract [also keep the suggested notebook on what's going on].