"Rome" on HBO

the violence can be a bit much for me, I understand that it has it's place though, overall I really enjoy this show.

Yeah, it is hard to watch. Usually I just cover my eyes and tell my DH to tell me when it's over!!

We have HBO on demand and they have done some "mini" commentaries on violence and gangs in Rome, drug addiction and sex. Very interesting. It is clear they have done their homework. Whilte it may not be an exact replication of history I think the series, sets and costumes are phenomenal.

Also, I read that this current season wasn't supposed to be as gooad as last season. I'm not sure what the critic was smoking but this season is every bit as good as last.

So how is everyone liking the new season?? Season 2 wasn't supposed to be as good as season 1 (or so the critics said) but I think it is just as good!

LOVE it!! I'm so mad that I never watched this show before this season. I wonder if the previous seasons are on DVD. I think the last two episodes have been so compelling, last week when Marc Antony and Octavian (sp?) embraced, joining forces at the end, and the latest episode, when Brutus is killed *sigh* what a great drama. Plus I have an odd crush on Agrippa :shame: :rolleyes: .

LOVE it!! I'm so mad that I never watched this show before this season. I wonder if the previous seasons are on DVD.

Yes - they are on DVD. Rent them you won't be sorry!!

I think the last two episodes have been so compelling, last week when Marc Antony and Octavian (sp?) embraced, joining forces at the end,

That was Attia (Octavian's mother) Octavian is/will be called Caesar Augustus. Right now I think they call him Octavian Caesar.

In history Marc Anthony was actually married to Octavian Caesar's sister. He leaves her for Cleopatra. But in the HBO version he is involved with his mother. Yes, it was a powerful scene!!
and the latest episode, when Brutus is killed *sigh* what a great drama.
Yep, what goes around comes around Brutus. He was cast perfectly.

Plus I have an odd crush on Agrippa :shame: :rolleyes: .

His love for Octavia is so endearing. And he is a cutie too!

^^Thanks Maxter, the DVDs should give me some much needed context. Although I hold a degree in History, it's in US History, so I really know little to nothing about Roman History, "Rome" has really inspired me to learn more. I know there are historical inaccuracies but what a well made show this is. In the previews for the next episode there's talk of marriage, and in the last episode Attia and Marc Antony discussed it briefly. I wonder if the marriage will be between Attia and Marc or Octavia and Marc (poor Agrippa!)--so interesting!

a couple weeks ago i was watching and realized that one of the reasons i love this show is how they infuse intense drama with some extraordinarly funny moments -- like the episode with pullo and cleopatra. and some of the lines make me roar: "next time you want a boy, buy one at the market. everybody knows you don't just pick one up off the street." :roflmfao:

Octavian is/will be called Caesar Augustus. Right now I think they call him Octavian Caesar.

more info on his name:

"When a child was adopted into another family, he assumed the full name of his new father, but retained his former nomen by converting it into a second cognomen by adding “-anus” to the end of it. For example, the future emperor Octavian was named at birth Gaius Octavius (after his father). When [Gaius] Julius Caesar adopted him, his name became Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus."

Roman Names

^^Thanks Maxter, the DVDs should give me some much needed context. Although I hold a degree in History, it's in US History, so I really know little to nothing about Roman History, "Rome" has really inspired me to learn more.

Me too! Check out the HBO forums on Rome. There are many people that are into Roman history. They have recommended some books. I've also heard that Colleen McCullough (not sure of spelling) did a great job on several historical fiction books on Roman history.

a couple weeks ago i was watching and realized that one of the reasons i love this show is how they infuse intense drama with some extraordinarly funny moments -- like the episode with pullo and cleopatra. and some of the lines make me roar: "next time you want a boy, buy one at the market. everybody knows you don't just pick one up off the street." :roflmfao:

:roflmfao:

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! it is far from accurate, but its not a documentary its a drama. Pullo is my favorite, he makes me laugh. especially in that scene where Ceasar is presenting cleopatra and "his" son and Pullo starts cheering loudly, glares at vorenus, and then starts cheering loudly!.

unfortunately it is too expensive to make and therefre it is the last season. Too bad. it really is fantastic

*Bump*

These past few episodes have been great. Too bad theres only one episode left. I thought the Marc Antony and Octavia bed scene was hilarious. "Would you mind, uh.."

I just love this show. The scripts, the sets, the costumes. Like nothing else that has ever been on TV.

Sad to see the end is near. This past week's episode in Egypt was great! Atia is one of a kind!!

Did anyone catch the finale?

What a great end to the best show/series I've ever seen on TV.

The end of Anthony and Cleopatra.

The historic and touching friendship of Pullo and Vorenus.

The rise of Octavian to Caesar Augustus.

Atia's line at the Forum celebration of Octavian Caesar's return: "You are swearing now that some day, some day you will destroy me....Remember: far better women than you have sworn to do the same. Go look for them now."

It was unforgettable.