Rolex: Was it worth it? $$$

Jrp1270

Mar 5, 2020
Hi ladies and gents!

A Rolex is something I’ve always dreamed of. It is beautiful, timeless, incredible mechanics, and the epitome of luxury. I have the cash but hey, let’s be frank: it’s a whole lot of money.

If you purchased one already, was it worth it according to monetary and your own happiness standards?

if you don’t have one but would like to buy one, do you think it will be worth the price tag?

Things to consider:
-These strange, uncertain times and weird economy
-Rolex increases the prices every 6 months by 8% according to my SA
-I’m in Europe for one more week and could get it tax free
-I’m unmarried, no kids. So in the near future I will not have as much disposable income?

Thank you all in advance for your candor!

There is a lot to consider when spending a lot on a Rolex! I wanted one for a while And decided to go down the preloved route and bought at an auction. For me it was the best way to get what I wanted as I go though phases and usually only use my items for a short while. I do think watches are worth an investment though as you’ll
Wear them everyday and if you’ve been stalking it for a while and have the chance to get a tax free one then you may always be thinking about the one that got away!

I don’t have one (tried one on and found it too chunky for my 15cm wrist, bought something more slimline) but my dad did. He disliked the way it did not keep perfect time and sold it on. He did get a good price for it, though.

You don't buy a Rolex to keep accurate time. You can do that using your mobile phone or an electronic watch. A Rolex is a piece of creation so you can enjoy every time you look at on your wrist. It's beautifully made, hardy and substantial. It keeps value very well because it's always desirable. It's something you can pass down in generations as an heirloom. Only buy if you absolutely love it though. Good luck deciding!

You don't buy a Rolex to keep accurate time. You can do that using your mobile phone or an electronic watch. A Rolex is a piece of creation so you can enjoy every time you look at on your wrist. It's beautifully made, hardy and substantial. It keeps value very well because it's always desirable. It's something you can pass down in generations as an heirloom. Only buy if you absolutely love it though. Good luck deciding!
I totally get what you mean, and my mother bought one and still uses it BUT I do think “can’t keep time” *is* a valid comment on a watch. It’s not a bracelet... She was rather surprised, post-purchase, when others were like “oh yeah Rolexes are notorious for that”.

For OP: these are uncertain times indeed but you seem to have a limited window for the lower tax purchase, and don’t have kids, so if you truly love it, I’d buy it.

I have two, both purchased in EU tax free. No regrets. It really depends on your lifestyle and how much you will appreciate owning and wearing it. If you've always dreamed of having one, it seems like it will be a good purchase. Though I disagree with your SA saying that prices increase every 6 months by 8%. Yes, Rolex does have regular price increases, but not every 6 months and not 8% across the board. Also, you mention that in the near future you will not have as much disposable income. If finances are a concern, I would recommend holding off on purchasing. GLD

Reactions: 880
It’s worth it if it doesn’t create a financial hardship, in fact money spent on jewelry should be totally disposable income and one should not go into debt just for a watch or bauble. BTW, not all models increase in value. It’s a relatively few models actually, the Batman, Daytona, Pepsi, etc. Mostly the tool watches. The PM’s probably depreciate the fastest so if you want all gold or platinum pre-owned could be a great way to ho.