Rolex submariner - advice needed

Feb 26, 2010
I know this question is probably better suited for the Rolex forum but it looks like they have a pledging process that I'd need to go through in order to become a member.

I'm interested in buying my DF a Rolex Submariner as a wedding present and he's narrowed it down to two - the black one and the green one. The green one is an anniversary edition and costs $1000 USD more than the black one and I'm wondering if it's worth the premium, and whether it'll hold its value as well as the black one, since the black one is a classic style. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

image-1340908965.jpg

image-4133958057.jpg

The green I think will hold its money more I know the older version did but they replaced that with the all green bezel & dial the older one had a black dial & green bezel...... I didn't realise the newer version was still called the anniversary I thought that was the older one but I might be wrong :smile:
My DH had a bi metal Sub with blue dial & bezel but he sold it to buy a Daytona :smile:
He still has a SS GMT with black dial & bezel & it looks very classic so I suppose the black Sub would be the same but I know my hubby said if he was to ever buy another sub he would choose the green because its not something you see every day its very unique.

I would check out watchuseek.com, although if the Green Crystal Rolex Milgauss is any indication, this one might turn out to be a fine investment.

Thanks, Christofle! I will definitely look into this website.

The green I think will hold its money more I know the older version did but they replaced that with the all green bezel & dial the older one had a black dial & green bezel...... I didn't realise the newer version was still called the anniversary I thought that was the older one but I might be wrong :smile:
My DH had a bi metal Sub with blue dial & bezel but he sold it to buy a Daytona :smile:
He still has a SS GMT with black dial & bezel & it looks very classic so I suppose the black Sub would be the same but I know my hubby said if he was to ever buy another sub he would choose the green because its not something you see every day its very unique.

Thanks for the insight, designerdiva! You're right, I think the black/green one was the limited, anniversary edition. My DF is a very sentimental person so I don't foresee him ever selling it but when buying luxury watches, value is still something of consideration. It's nice to get another opinion on the green! :smile:

I know this question is probably better suited for the Rolex forum but it looks like they have a pledging process that I'd need to go through in order to become a member.

I'm interested in buying my DF a Rolex Submariner as a wedding present and he's narrowed it down to two - the black one and the green one. The green one is an anniversary edition and costs $1000 USD more than the black one and I'm wondering if it's worth the premium, and whether it'll hold its value as well as the black one, since the black one is a classic style. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 2059481

View attachment 2059480

I have had the black non-date model for almost 10 years and it still looks new. It's a timeless design and goes with everything, whether dressed up or down. I could sell mine today for what I bought it for, perhaps a little more, but that is the case with many Rolex models. I prefer the black to the green but it's only my opinion -- yours (and his) are the only ones that matter. If you really want to blow him away, here is a VERY fancy Submariner...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 849
I have had the black non-date model for almost 10 years and it still looks new. It's a timeless design and goes with everything, whether dressed up or down. I could sell mine today for what I bought it for, perhaps a little more, but that is the case with many Rolex models. I prefer the black to the green but it's only my opinion -- yours (and his) are the only ones that matter. If you really want to blow him away, here is a VERY fancy Submariner...

Thanks for your input! I typed a very long response on the computer but it won't send through so I'll try keep this brief.

I've spoken with my DF about it and I think his heart wants the black but his mind wants the green. He's usually a very monochromatic kind of guy and I'm always encouraging him to add more color into his life so I'm guessing he wants to get the green to please me. My internal struggle is, this is his first Rolex so should I be going for classic or unique?

I do see that most people prefer the black because the green seems very bright in the stock photos. Surprisingly, the dial is very dark (almost black) in person, and the bezel looks silvery-green from a distance. That's also another reason why I 'kept it in the running' for a guy who is usually more black/white. I think I will end up getting the black for him because it's more him. Many thanks to everyone who weighed in on this!

Also, unfortunately that blue beauty is not within my budget. Maybe in a few years! Hah.

First, you do not need to pledge to become a member there. It's strictly voluntary.

Aside from that, your DF would have to be in love with the green in order to favor it. It's not the classic Sub; the black is. The green is extremely popular among its fans, but the black is the "can't go wrong" Sub and just inherently more versatile as someone's only Sub.

First, you do not need to pledge to become a member there. It's strictly voluntary.

Aside from that, your DH would have to be in love with the green in order to favor it. It's not the classic Sub; the black is. The green is extremely popular among its fans, but the black is the "can't go wrong" Sub and just inherently more versatile as someone's only Sub.

I must have misread the forum; thanks for pointing that out!

As I mentioned earlier, I realize the black is classic. I was wondering more whether a classic or a unique watch would make a more memorable wedding present. I'm a firm believer that since the watch is the only piece of jeweler that he will wear, it'll be fitting for every occasion as long as he feels he wears the watch and not the other way around.

I was wondering more whether a classic or a unique watch would make a more memorable wedding present.
Really, it should be the one he prefers. That should be what guides you, in my view. And the green is not really unique, it's just relatively less seen. (The "anniversary" one was green bezel and black dial.)
Green is in the regular Sub production now.
http://www.rolex.com/en#/rolex-watches/submariner/submariner-date-40mm-steel-m116610lv-0002

Either Sub should hold its value very well.

Yes, I know the anniversary one was discontinued in 2010 and it was a green/black combo, not green/green. I'm not really playing around with semantics here; IMO if it's not as common, I would view it as unique. Just trying to get some input because this purchase is a big deal for me.

I think the black....To me a green watch is a little odd...fun, but an odd choice for such a sterile/classic watch. Although the green may be more collectable, it seems as though sometimes it may be harder to wear the watch (i.e. I don't think it would look as good with formalwear or with certain colors)...the black one is a real chameleon that will go well with anything.

I vote for the black one.

Unless he has a few other equally nice watches he can wear regularly, the green one might be too restrictive for him.

When i started collecting watches, i went with the basics first before branching out to more funkier styles.

So if you don't anticipate his watch collection growing, i think it's better to stick with the classics.

Furthermore, you mentioned his heart is set on the black.