Rolex owners: What do you have?

Does someone have a 14k AND 18k gold watch (or at least a two tone watch with YG elements in it) and can tell me if the color difference between the 14k is 18k is noticable?
I have a steel/YG DJ and I think about exchanging the bezel and bracelet with 18k gold parts or maybe even selling it and get another preloved on but with 18k.
Ridiculous or not?
Would like to hear your opinion.

Does someone have a 14k AND 18k gold watch (or at least a two tone watch with YG elements in it) and can tell me if the color difference between the 14k is 18k is noticable?
I have a steel/YG DJ and I think about exchanging the bezel and bracelet with 18k gold parts or maybe even selling it and get another preloved on but with 18k.
Ridiculous or not?
Would like to hear your opinion.

Not sure what you're trying to achieve, but realize you don't have 14k gold currently. Any current two-tone Rolex uses gold made by Rolex's patented process, called Rolesor, combining steel with 18k. You are therefore already looking at something close to 18k gold.

NOTE: Rolex won't make random changes to a watch to suit you. They will do only the changes that fit with the reference number (model). This is because the reference number signifies a specific configuration of the watch. Examples: If the watch started its life as a two-tone yellow gold, they won't switch it to rose gold, or put in solid 18k links if it came with Rolesor. And if you get someone else to make a special bracelet for it, this would not only void any existing warranty but also Rolex would reject your watch for repair, except if you allow them to restore it to its original condition--at your cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: keodi
Not sure what you're trying to achieve, but realize you don't have 14k gold
Any two-tone Rolex uses gold made by Rolex's patented process, called Rolesor, combining steel with 18k. You are therefore already looking at something close to 18k gold.

Oh, ok .. cause I've read somewhere that there's a hallmark on the clasp that indicates if the watch is 18k or 14k. Mine says H14. It is from the early 80ies.

I don't try to achieve anything, I just like 18k gold more :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Prada143
Oh, ok .. cause I've read somewhere that there's a hallmark on the clasp that indicates if the watch is 18k or 14k. Mine says H14. It is from the early 80ies.
I assumed it was more recent, my apology. There are older 14K/steel watches.

Anyway, if you don't like the look or condition of your watch, either get it refurbished (cleaned, polished, bracelet links tightened as necessary) by Rolex or sell it. You can't change out the gold in a way they will authorize, and if you do something with anyone else you'll ruin the value of your watch.

I assumed it was more recent, my apology. There are older 14K/steel watches.

Anyway, if you don't like the look or condition of your watch, either get it refurbished (cleaned, polished, bracelet links tightened as necessary) by Rolex or sell it. You can't change out the gold in a way they will authorize, and if you do something with anyone else you'll ruin the value of your watch.

It is already refurbished. I just wanted to know if the difference is noticable (for example when you wear an 18k bracelet combined with a 14k rolex watch) cause I'm not a fan of mixing metals and if I'm going to build a collection, I want everything to be the same amount of carats. I didn't intend to change the gold tone but a lot of people customize their Rolex and exchange bezels, dials etc. therefore I considered this option :smile:

I just wanted to know if the difference is noticable (for example when you wear an 18k bracelet combined with a 14k rolex watch) cause I'm not a fan of mixing metals and if I'm going to build a collection, I want everything to be the same amount of carats. I didn't intend to change the gold tone but a lot of people customize their Rolex and exchange bezels, dials etc. therefore I considered this option :smile:

I don't know that the average person looking at your arm would see a difference between the gold in your watch and an 18k gold bracelet. The main reason people buy two-tone Rolexes is, after all, to be able to wear it with both silver/white gold jewelry and yellow (or rose) gold. They're supposed to go together!

Sure people customize--my point was that doing so makes a mess of the value and will make it unserviceable by Rolex.

I'm sure this question has been asked 10384894 times but I'll go ahead and be that annoying person who asks for an opinion (please don't hate me!).

I've been going back and forth on what to get myself for my 30th birthday in November. I'm an early buyer with everyone's presents so I figured why not do it for myself as well. I originally was thinking of getting a pre-owned Chanel m/l caviar classic flap but since my FH is getting me a jumbo for our wedding present I'm leaning towards getting myself a big girl watch (right now I rotate between two Michele's, both silver tone but one all blinged out). I want it to wear casually as well as if I go out, but not necessarily for anything fancy. I wear mostly silver toned jewelry but on occasion wear my grandmothers yellow gold pieces that she passed on to me. I know for sure I want a white face, Roman numerals, and a fluted bezel. I'm leaning towards the 31 but could be pursuaded to the 28. Where I'm really stuck is whether I want white gold/stainless or yellow gold/stainless and whether I want to go pre-loved or go new. I've found a few pre-owned (from reputable dealers) for about $4800-$5300, 2000's, fully serviced, box only, and warranty. I spoke with one store (not AD) that said they could get me either one new for about $1000-$2000 off retail (depending on the metal of course). I'm adding the two stock pictures for ease as well as a picture of the white gold/stainless model shot (I can't seem to find the exact yellow gold combo I'm looking for to take a pic, ugh!) and a comparison of the 31 and 28. Any and all opinions are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 1,739
  • IMG_2537.JPG
    IMG_2537.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,773
  • IMG_2556.PNG
    IMG_2556.PNG
    516 KB · Views: 1,734
  • IMG_2557.PNG
    IMG_2557.PNG
    423.6 KB · Views: 1,740
whether I want to go pre-loved or go new
In my mind, it depends. Is this watch going to be one that you keep and cherish, or is it going to be one that you wear a few years and then get rid of for something else? Also, are you buying it as a 30-years-old milestone kind of gift? If so, I would go new. If you don't intend on keeping it forever and possibly handing it down, then go pre-owned.

But that's me.

In my mind, it depends. Is this watch going to be one that you keep and cherish, or is it going to be one that you wear a few years and then get rid of for something else? Also, are you buying it as a 30-years-old milestone kind of gift? If so, I would go new. If you don't intend on keeping it forever and possibly handing it down, then go pre-owned.

But that's me.

Totally makes sense! I'm not really a big buy and then resell kind of girl. I like to just buy what I like and then that's it. It will definitely be a milestone gift-I always get cranky around my birthday and I know I'm going to have a hard time leaving my 20's.

I know I'm going to have a hard time leaving my 20's.
No no. Stop with that. My friends and I all loved our thirties. My twenties were awful compared to my thirties. I didn't realize it at the time, but looking back I can see easily that my twenties were full of confusion and uncertainty. My thirties were great because I felt I had gained a lot of wisdom from my twenties. Forties? So far, I'm just like, "World, you can love me or not, but I'm doing me, and I'm totally cool with that."

I think what I'm worried about is that I'll choose the white because it's what I'm accustomed to but will wish I got the yellow because I associate the TT more with Rolex (my fiancé told me that's wrong though so who knows haha).

I think what I'm worried about is that I'll choose the white because it's what I'm accustomed to but will wish I got the yellow because I associate the TT more with Rolex (my fiancé told me that's wrong though so who knows haha).

I was debating between TT & SS also. Because I wear a green diamond ring on my left hand, the TT just looked too busy. I could have switched my ring to my other hand but I love how it looks with my wedding ring too much. TT is beautiful (it's what my BFF has & what I thought I'd end up getting) but see how it looks next to the other jewellery you wear on that hand. Good luck deciding!

I was debating between TT & SS also. Because I wear a green diamond ring on my left hand, the TT just looked too busy. I could have switched my ring to my other hand but I love how it looks with my wedding ring too much. TT is beautiful (it's what my BFF has & what I thought I'd end up getting) but see how it looks next to the other jewellery you wear on that hand. Good luck deciding!

I'm the weirdo righty that wears my watch on my right hand. When I got my Tiffany charm bracelet in middle school I hated the way it made so much noise on my desks when I wrote so I put it on my left and then but my watch on my right. Since then I've kind of just worn either a watch on it or jewelry. I have small wrists and I always feel like if I layer a bracelet with a watch it looks overwhelming. The only piece of jewelry that I wear every day is my engagement ring (and soon to be wedding band!) and they're both platinum.

Reactions: Louish
I'm the weirdo righty that wears my watch on my right hand. When I got my Tiffany charm bracelet in middle school I hated the way it made so much noise on my desks when I wrote so I put it on my left and then but my watch on my right. Since then I've kind of just worn either a watch on it or jewelry. I have small wrists and I always feel like if I layer a bracelet with a watch it looks overwhelming. The only piece of jewelry that I wear every day is my engagement ring (and soon to be wedding band!) and they're both platinum.

Then I say go for the TT! It really is beautiful