Roger Vivier comfort/fit

Jun 16, 2007
Hi, I perused the only Roger Vivier thread I could find to get specific info on the Gommette flat as far as comfort and fit. I've read mixed reviews on comfort (especially in patent), and sizing, but am still unsure about making the splurge. I wear 36 1/2 in Gucci and Tory Burch flats. Anyone have any insight on these?

116379_100296_m.jpg

Reactions: Prettyinpnknwht
Hi! I used to love RV and especially the Gommette flat. I would say they run large when compared to Chanel or CL. I wear a 38 in Chanel, but I size down to a 37 1/2 in RV. For the patent, I would say they are not as comfy as the leather. It's still comfy, but just a bit stiffer than the calf. I also had the suede with tortoise and they are comfy.

One thing I want to mention about the Gommette is the fit. The sides are cut low, so if your feet are wide or if you have a slight bunion, I don't think you will love the look.

Here are a few photos to show you what I mean...
The first photo is a great top view shot of how low sides are cut. And, if you have remote bone/bunion on the outer edge of your toe, it will show. I have a tiny baby bunion and it ever so slightly showed which I did not like. Also, because the sides are cut so low with little coverage, I felt they made my feet look wider. I only figured this out after purchasing about a dozen pairs. Hence I fell out of love with RVs and got rid of them.

In the second photo, you can see again see the sides of the shoe and how low they cut. That's my big pet peeve with this flat. At first, they looked gorgeous to me. Then, I realized they make my feet look wider, not fat, just wider as I have boney feet. Do you see in the photo with the pink flat how her feet look so wide yet she has perfectly normal feet!

Anyway, I now only wear Chanel ballet flats. They are timeless and go with everything. I would suggest you also try Chanels in addition to RV. Maybe order one of each and see how you like the fit. I feel the Chanel is more elegant and covers the foot much nicer. The Chanel flats make feet look so slim.

This is just my experience based on my feet! Your feet may be different! :biggrin:
I hope this was helpful.

1616555842853.png
1616556067539.png

Last edited:
I used to wear them when they were first introduced. I don't find them comfortable especially
the patent. I was attracted to the many colors as well as the look, but I have found other
flats that work better for me.
I'd suggest you trying them on & seeing if they flatter your foot.
I personally prefer the Chanel ballet flat.. It fits better & has more support for your foot, IMO

I still Love roger vivier and continue to buy, but I agree with the above post that Chanel flats are way more comfortable. I am the same size in all designer shoes, 42. Sometimes RV does run a little bigger, but I only notice it in the heel (I put the cushions in to stop chafing). I have a bad bunion on my right foot and it rubs A LOT. It doesn’t matter the style or leather, the way RV cuts the front of the shoe always rubs against my bunion.

Thank you all! I actually sold all my Chanel flats, I loved them but the leather was so soft and nice i was afraid to wear them for fear of ruining them. I'd read that the patent RV tends to be durable even in rain. I appreciate the point re: the width...I have wide feet so this may not be an attractive look for me. Indeed, the thing to do is to order a "returnable just in case" pair and try them on.
Hi! I used to love RV and especially the Gommette flat. I would say they run large when compared to Chanel or CL. I wear a 38 in Chanel, but I size down to a 37 1/2 in RV. For the patent, I would say they are not as comfy as the leather. It's still comfy, but just a bit stiffer than the calf. I also had the suede with tortoise and they are comfy.

One thing I want to mention about the Gommette is the fit. The sides are cut low, so if your feet are wide or if you have a slight bunion, I don't think you will love the look.

Here are a few photos to show you what I mean...
The first photo is a great top view shot of how low sides are cut. And, if you have remote bone/bunion on the outer edge of your toe, it will show. I have a tiny baby bunion and it ever so slightly showed which I did not like. Also, because the sides are cut so low with little coverage, I felt they made my feet look wider. I only figured this out after purchasing about a dozen pairs. Hence I fell out of love with RVs and got rid of them.

In the second photo, you can see again see the sides of the shoe and how low they cut. That's my big pet peeve with this flat. At first, they looked gorgeous to me. Then, I realized they make my feet look wider, not fat, just wider as I have boney feet. Do you see in the photo with the pink flat how her feet look so wide yet she has perfectly normal feet!

Anyway, I now only wear Chanel ballet flats. They are timeless and go with everything. I would suggest you also try Chanels in addition to RV. Maybe order one of each and see how you like the fit. I feel the Chanel is more elegant and covers the foot much nicer. The Chanel flats make feet look so slim.

This is just my experience based on my feet! Your feet may be different! :biggrin:
I hope this was helpful.

View attachment 5033117
View attachment 5033118
These pics are lovely...btw I love your pink shoes!

Hello ladies, i would like to know if the R.V beige/off white patent leather pumps turn yellowish after a while?
I bought patent leather pumps before from other cheaper brands and they all turn yellowish, end up having to dispose them.

So far I only have a pair of patent cream and I have it for maybe 3years. I don't think it has yellowed.

patent is notorious for a lot of troubles. And it has a lot to do with climate, storage, and frequently of wearing. but then, this is my one and only "white" patent shoes.

and surprisingly, this pair is one of my most comfy shoes. (Fact that it is patent).

So far I only have a pair of patent cream and I have it for maybe 3years. I don't think it has yellowed.

patent is notorious for a lot of troubles. And it has a lot to do with climate, storage, and frequently of wearing. but then, this is my one and only "white" patent shoes.

and surprisingly, this pair is one of my most comfy shoes. (Fact that it is patent).
Thank you for your advise. I live in a tropical climate, high humidity so it may not be an environment for patent.
Nonethless, if its comfy, i may just give it a try.. thanks again for your input

Thank you for your advise. I live in a tropical climate, high humidity so it may not be an environment for patent.
Nonethless, if its comfy, i may just give it a try.. thanks again for your input
Welcome.
Me too, hot and high humidity here. But i find for patent, best is to expose it (as in wear it often enough). Don't keep unworn for too long. Somehow when unworn, funny things happen (change of color or stickiness - i guess especially in our kind of climate).

Ok, now I have the courage to buy a pair of RV patent pumps and try them out. You are right, they need to be worn often and out of the shoe cabinet.. because no amount of hungry hippo is able to control our humidity level..
I shall update this thread when I get a pair.

I own 3 pairs of Roger Vivier’s Gommettine ballerinas flats, so it’s not exactly the same style you posted (but similar). They are true to size. I wear size 36.5. The leather version gets stretched out the more you wear them, so they are more comfortable than the parent version.

I own 3 pairs of Roger Vivier’s Gommettine ballerinas flats, so it’s not exactly the same style you posted (but similar). They are true to size. I wear size 36.5. The leather version gets stretched out the more you wear them, so they are more comfortable than the parent version.
Thank you! Tried the belle vivier and the trompette pumps in patent and suede a few days ago, seems comfortable and since it’s block heels, Low height, I doubt it will hurt during a long wear.. but both materials are hard to maintain in Humid Singapore.. so I am still sitting on it. Haven’t made the plunge… maybe The coming festive season may motivate me further….

Thank you! Tried the belle vivier and the trompette pumps in patent and suede a few days ago, seems comfortable and since it’s block heels, Low height, I doubt it will hurt during a long wear.. but both materials are hard to maintain in Humid Singapore.. so I am still sitting on it. Haven’t made the plunge… maybe The coming festive season may motivate me further….

Oh, that makes a difference then - you live in Singapore. I’d say put each shoe in their individual dust bag, so they aren’t touching each other. When the weather gets so humid that sometimes patent leather material may melt and stick together, and when you try to take them apart you may damage the leather.

We all have our considerations, after all it’s not a small purchase (at least in my opinion). With the weather I have, I rarely get to wear my suede boots from Stuart Weitzman.

RV’s Trompette pumps is on my wishlist too. We’ll see :smile:.

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a half size up, only to return them :sad: I have wide feet and the RV seem cut longer and narrow. They made my feet look like boats and were uncomfortable too. I guess RV just isn't for me.