Rock & Republic Crystals jeans: How do u take care of it?

HappyAngel

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
Does the crystals fall out easily? Can you wash the jeans in the washer & dry it in the dryer? HOw do you take care of it? How long do you wear your jeans before the crystals fall out? Please let me know.

Thanks,

I've never had a problem w/falling crystals on a RR jean (or any crystallized premium denim brand, for that matter). :cool: Some pairs say to dry clean only, but I've washed on gentle, turned inside out w/cold water, and it's been pristine. :biggrin:

I've never had a problem w/falling crystals on a RR jean (or any crystallized premium denim brand, for that matter). :cool: Some pairs say to dry clean only, but I've washed on gentle, turned inside out w/cold water, and it's been pristine. :biggrin:

That's good to hear. Have you try drying it in the dryer? I am thinking that the high heat will damage it. ;)

You shouldn't put any of your premium denim in the dryer anyway as it will break down any lycra in the fabric. I would just wash them gently in cold and hang to dry.

You shouldn't put any of your premium denim in the dryer anyway as it will break down any lycra in the fabric. I would just wash them gently in cold and hang to dry.

Really? Is the end effect that it stretches out? Does it shrink back a bit the way it would after drying if you hang dry?

Sorry, kinda OT, I got my first R&Rs recently.

Really? Is the end effect that it stretches out? Does it shrink back a bit the way it would after drying if you hang dry?

Sorry, kinda OT, I got my first R&Rs recently.

If you put the jean in a dryer, this is what happens to the fit/shape:

It could shrink its orig dimensions (MOST NOTABLY with inseam length). This is particularly important if you've hemmed the jean to its perfect inseam length, but because you put it in the dryer, the inseam could shrink up, and now you're left with an inseam that isn't ideal.

The waist/hip area may get affected in that they could be smaller, but with most premium denim out there, this effect is temporary. Once you wear the jean out, it'll stretch/conform to your body.

I think you can put your jeans in the dryer, but just use low/no heat. Some people hang dry them until they are mostly dry and then stick them in the dryer for 10 mins to soften them up.

I know you're not supposed to, but I dry mine with high heat. So far I haven't had any problems at all. I don't like how hang dried jeans feel so stiff.

I hear that the chemicals used during the dry cleaning process can actually make the crystals more susceptible to falling off.

If you put the jean in a dryer, this is what happens to the fit/shape:

It could shrink its orig dimensions (MOST NOTABLY with inseam length). This is particularly important if you've hemmed the jean to its perfect inseam length, but because you put it in the dryer, the inseam could shrink up, and now you're left with an inseam that isn't ideal.

The waist/hip area may get affected in that they could be smaller, but with most premium denim out there, this effect is temporary. Once you wear the jean out, it'll stretch/conform to your body.

Does drying actually damage the jeans besides the issue of shrinkage? I wash/dry before hemming and rely on the dryer cycle to shrink my jeans back after they've stretched out from a few days of wear. I thought maybe you meant it would affect the life of the denim?

Does drying actually damage the jeans besides the issue of shrinkage? I wash/dry before hemming and rely on the dryer cycle to shrink my jeans back after they've stretched out from a few days of wear. I thought maybe you meant it would affect the life of the denim?

Oops, sorry, I didn't know your query was also re: jean damage in general. :P

Yes, if you regularly use the dryer every time you wash your jeans, you WILL notice that longevity will be affected. Of course, you won't notice this immediately, but prolonged exposure to heat/the dryer will damage the fibers.

loserxstar made a good point; if you wish to throw it in on low/no heat to get rid of that "crunchy" feeling when you line dry items, then that's MUCH better than running your jeans through med/high heat. :yes:

Additionally, as I had noted, the actual COLOR of the jean will be compromised. :tdown: If you've ever washed and thrown cotton black t-shirts in the dryer, you'll know exactly what I'm referring to.

For me, if I'm paying that much for premium denim to begin with, I'd prefer to leave it as pristine as I can, and proper washing/drying comes w/that territory. ;)

^ I think heat can damage the lycra or other stretch material. For 100% cotton jeans, I would think that any decrease in the life of the item would be comparable to other cotton items.

I also wash and dry on hot before hemming my jeans. That way I can keep drying them without any problem :smile:

If your jeans shrink too much, you can also try damp stretching which I do on my fat days :P I just use a spray bottle to wet the waistband, and then I use a waistband stretcher (you can buy them on ebay for ~$10) to stretch the jeans out and then wait for them to dry. It's like magic!

Oops, sorry, I didn't know your query was also re: jean damage in general. :P

Yes, if you regularly use the dryer every time you wash your jeans, you WILL notice that longevity will be affected. Of course, you won't notice this immediately, but prolonged exposure to heat/the dryer will damage the fibers.

loserxstar made a good point; if you wish to throw it in on low/no heat to get rid of that "crunchy" feeling when you line dry items, then that's MUCH better than running your jeans through med/high heat. :yes:

Additionally, as I had noted, the actual COLOR of the jean will be compromised. :tdown: If you've ever washed and thrown cotton black t-shirts in the dryer, you'll know exactly what I'm referring to.

For me, if I'm paying that much for premium denim to begin with, I'd prefer to leave it as pristine as I can, and proper washing/drying comes w/that territory. ;)

Thanks! I dry everything on low heat rather than hang dry just because I hate that crunch, but maybe I will try rescuing them from the dryer early or something.