Food roasting a whole chicken on the grill

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
I have a locally grown whole chicken to roast on the grill (so hot, I'm not turning on oven). I've never done this and wonder if anyone else has.

Did you butterfly the chicken?
Is indirect heat the way to go?
If I put herbs from my garden in the cavity, will that infuse well?
I didn't marinate it. Will I be sorry?
Other advice?

I have a locally grown whole chicken to roast on the grill (so hot, I'm not turning on oven). I've never done this and wonder if anyone else has.
Did you butterfly the chicken?
Is indirect heat the way to go?
If I put herbs from my garden in the cavity, will that infuse well?
I didn't marinate it. Will I be sorry?
Other advice?
I'd recommend quartering so that the breast doesn't dry out waiting for the legs to cook (something that would likely happen if you tried to grill it whole/ w/o a rotisserie feature). Also, I think it'd be best to do either a dry rub (spice mix you like) or a marinade that you can apply before and while chicken cooks (although you should stop applying it about 15 mins before meat is done to avoid cross contamination). I think the all recipes site has some decent recipes. Good luck and have fun!

I'd recommend quartering so that the breast doesn't dry out waiting for the legs to cook (something that would likely happen if you tried to grill it whole/ w/o a rotisserie feature). Also, I think it'd be best to do either a dry rub (spice mix you like) or a marinade that you can apply before and while chicken cooks (although you should stop applying it about 15 mins before meat is done to avoid cross contamination). I think the all recipes site has some decent recipes. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you for the help. I also watched a youtube video that was good. She kept it whole and turned it every 15 minutes, which kind of takes "this is simple and no work" out of the grilling.

Appreciate the information.

"Beer can chicken" is very popular, where you make a ring of coals and place the chicken standing up over an open can of liquid on the grate over the middle of the circle. A person can use anything they want in the can for flavoring, though, and not just an open can of beer. Cut lemons and herbs in water with a little vinegar works very well, for example. The chicken usually comes out very juicy this way because of the moisture form the seasonings in the can.

"Beer can chicken" is very popular, where you make a ring of coals and place the chicken standing up over an open can of liquid on the grate over the middle of the circle. A person can use anything they want in the can for flavoring, though, and not just an open can of beer. Cut lemons and herbs in water with a little vinegar works very well, for example. The chicken usually comes out very juicy this way because of the moisture form the seasonings in the can.

Nice! Thank you.

It grilled beautifully. Juicy and nice. I turned it three times, not as often as youtube said to, but it turned out. I didn't dry rub because of the recipe I'm making, unfortunately, but I did stuff a bouquet of herbs in the cavity, to no avail. I shall be adding herbs to the cubed salad I make.

No Cute said:
It grilled beautifully. Juicy and nice. I turned it three times, not as often as youtube said to, but it turned out. I didn't dry rub because of the recipe I'm making, unfortunately, but I did stuff a bouquet of herbs in the cavity, to no avail. I shall be adding herbs to the cubed salad I make.

Pampered chef now has a beer can chicken gadget - like a big platter with the can apparatus do you can cook and serve it on the same thing. It looked nifty but I don't grill much. We figured we would try simple beer can chicken with the actual can and then buy the pampered chef thing if we liked it.